Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2012, 12:14 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,646,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
the foreign blacks haven't been indoctrinated with "the man gonna keep you down" .
Many people in Africa cite colonialism(for good reasons) are the reason why the African continent is doing poorly.

Last edited by green_mariner; 05-26-2012 at 12:38 PM..

Old 05-26-2012, 12:21 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Whoa there Calipoppy! Do I need to go to the Trayvon Martin thread and pull up all the posts about how George Zimmerman mentored black children in his neighborhood? I never saw you give GZ credit for that! In reality GZ could never do anything right by you. So, by this statement I guess you must feel GZ was a part of the solution?
Your analogy is a bit off. George Zimmerman also has a history of domestic violence plus an arrest for assaulting a police officer, so no he doesn't get credit in a thread about the achievment level between Black Americans (who are descendents of the American slave trade) and African immigrants. Jerry Sandusky "mentored children as well...I was referring to people with "pure" motives for mentoring and not opportunists (a category in which I would most likely place GZ, as well)

Let's stick to the topic at hand and leave the GZ discussion to its respective threads.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
the foreign blacks haven't been indoctrinated with "the man gonna keep you down" .
....in this country. There is that (or a similar) sentinment in their own country, however.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:26 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I have often wondered why, if blacks feel there is still racism in the US, do they saddle their children with names that readily identify their race to prospecive employers on their resumes? At least if they get as far as an interview, it would be easier to make the determination that they were denied a job due to discrimination rather than just have their resume trashed.

Pride is one reason, but doesn't pride sometimes cause problems? Maybe the parents have hope that things in the future will change, and there will be no racism. Good luck with that.
No lie. That's mean at best giving those stupid names cause all they do is hurt those kids down the road. Even the Gaelic versions of "anglo" names like Padraig over Patrick for a US born Irish American are bad news IMHO. Pride in one's family is Ok; but, IF it may hurt later, it ain't good.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:29 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,534,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I actually think you are quite pathetic the more you post. You move to a country and simply abandoned your culture and ideals to fit in with a group of people not going anywhere fast. Oh well your choice. Fortunately I know quite a few people from the Caribbean and know your view is the minority. Most are quite proud to be from the Caribbean and are not shy in highlighting the differences between themselves and African Americans. I can also tell you what I'm posting here is mild compared to what I've heard from them on this issue.

As far as appeasing whites, there is that slave talk again. Whites do not figure one way or another in forming my opinions. In fact there are quite a few whites who disagree me vehemently.

You're right about one thing a year from now I'll most likely be posting about African- American dysfunction because you and the people you support will still be in denial working overtime to show that nothing is going on the African- American community that merits unique attention. You will be more worried about what whites think than actually acknowledging, addressing and fixing the problems. In the interim while you and others are busy trying to show a good face another group of young blacks would have lost their lives, dropped out, have become incarcerated and descend into a lifetime of hopelessness.

But hey we gotta keep a united front against the white man!
I don't believe you. I think you are making things up. You always seem to know some group of this or that who says this or that. Where are they? You and your other friend on here are the only ones posting. Do those so intelligent Africans and Caribbeans and all the rest not own computers? I have never heard immigrants on TV or anywhere except here from you spouting all this BS about how you are better than us. Why not? Are they afraid? Show me one example of this opinion from African immigrants outside of you.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynight View Post
Thanks for playing into the whole "crabs in a barrel" mentality that many black Americans and Caribbeans perceive many Africans have. Oh, but then again you are not black.

You know this board has a search function, I challenge you to find a post where I said "the white man is to blame for all of our problems" or "we all should unite in getting back at whitey". Have I ever implied such things? White racism is the least of my concern, especially if these whites have no power to impede on the quality of my life. I judge people as individuals and not as a group.

I told you earlier it is much easier to sit on your a-- and complain about it as opposed to doing something in real life about it. You just want a co-sign from people you will never meet. There is a difference in somebody like Bill Cosby saying these things, he actually has taken action on the issue. He actually has gotten his hands dirty and has done his part in actually trying to get rid of the issue. He did not hide his face like a coward on the internet, a place where everyone is a revolutionary.

I am not shy about telling people I am from the Caribbean, but I do not need to shove it in people's faces as if I am better than American blacks. My nationality makes me better than nobody on this planet. Also, keep in mind, many English Speaking Caribbeans have negative views of Haitians as well. As far as me "abandoning my culture", do you really expect most of us Caribbeans to come to this country and dress Island style, while singing in Calypso dialect? Do you think my brother and Uncle are sellouts for being foreigners in the American Army as well?

For what its worth, I would have repped you about 5 times today had "the man" (aka C-D) let me!

Old 05-26-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
More slave talk, what is with you guys and white folks? It's like an obsession.
Are you kidding? You are the one who seeks and crawls for their acceptance not us.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:38 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The naming, well, I can tell you where that comes from. Africans have not been extinguished of their African heritage, so they don't feel compelled to make up names that are perceived to sound "African". They can give their children a name from their own language. Example, Osamudiame is a Nigerian name. It comes from the Edo language and it means "God Stands for Me". Names have meaning because it is part of their heritage, and always have been part of their heritage. Security in their heritage is also part of the history of why Africans often have names like Peter, Paul, Isaac, Moses,ect. Many Africans name their children Biblical names.

With Black Americans, on the other hand, many have perceived names like Peter, Paul,etc., to be "too White" or "reminiscent of the slave days". Black Americans have basically been extinguished of their African heritage, therefore, not knowing which African heritage they have. Coming up with names that are perceived as "ghetto" could be argued as a perceived way to get closer to one's African heritage.
No excuse they can ask Africans for ideas for names instead of saddling their kids with disastrous names. Ironically in their attempt to be more African, they ignore or slight one of the most important rituals in the West African tradition, the naming of a child.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
No excuse they can ask Africans for ideas for names instead of saddling their kids with disastrous names. Ironically in their attempt to be more African, they ignore or slight one of the most important rituals in the West African tradition, the naming of a child.
What kind of ritual did it take to come up with edward?

Old 05-26-2012, 12:43 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
But instead of looking at this from a callous perspective, you have to ask questions. You have to ask WHY?

And like I said before, being extinguished of one's old culture can make for destructive behavior, if one is forced to come up with something new. Now how do we solve that problem? How can people get something that they lost a long time ago? At the end of the day, Africans have had a far different narrative than Black Americans, so the perceptions, and the mentality are different. Instead of looking at this from a callous perspective, one needs to look at it as "this is what was done, this is what is happening. Now we need to find solutions to reverse this problem, to SOLVE problems, to make things better".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies