Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 12:03 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,215,763 times

Advertisements

This topic is something that came to my mind on a couple occasions when I was discussing the idea of Texas seceding from the United States.

It seemed to me, the major concern most people had was that, they couldn't fathom the idea of Texas being in another country, and that it would effectively require a VISA to be able to travel from the United States to Texas or vice-versa.

So I thought to myself. Well, what if we had never seceded from Britain? And for the sake of argument, lets say neither did Canada, Australia, South Africa, India, New Zealand, and Ireland. Would that have been a bad thing or a good thing?

While most people see America as being the foundation of the free world. For the most part, America just carried on English traditions(with a few notable exceptions of course). And England itself has not been much changed because of the existence of the United States. And since many Americans basically want to turn America into Britain. It made me wonder, should we have ever seceded from Britain at all?

Had we not seceded, then traveling to England or Canada would be the same as traveling to Texas. You would just get up and go, and there would be nothing to stop you. I could just go to Australia or South Africa on vacation, like people go to Hawaii or Florida.

Had we never seceded from Britain, and people proposed the idea of seceding from Britain today, do you think we would secede? Or do you think people would say it was preposterous to imagine England or Canada be in a different country, and the idea of having to get permission to go see their families or friends there, would be hard to imagine.

Had we never left Britain, how might that have affected world politics? More specifically WW1 and WW2, communism, etc.

If you still insist we are better off having seceded from Britain. Then why wouldn't Texas be better off seceding from the United States?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 12:04 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,313,563 times
No significant difference, IMO.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:13 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,589,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund_Burke View Post
No significant difference, IMO.
Well one, keyboards would still have the letter U on them, you know for words like honour & colour.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:20 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,098,605 times
Errr...we DIDN'T secede from the British Crown. We declared independence from them. Secession is left for a civil war basis.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:30 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times
Looking at Australia, New Zealand or Canada: not much difference for the US.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:51 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,589,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Looking at Australia, New Zealand or Canada: not much difference for the US.
Clearly you don't live in either Australia, Canada or New Zealand. If you did you would realise the vast differences that exist between the countries in terms of culture etc.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:54 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
We would be about 20 years further down the road to serfdom.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Errr...we DIDN'T secede from the British Crown. We declared independence from them. Secession is left for a civil war basis.
Explain to me why exactly we didn't secede from Britain? What is the difference between the colonies leaving Britain, and the South leaving the United States?

Weren't we all British citizens in 1776? What percentage of Americans even wanted to secede from Britain in 1776?

Old 05-26-2012, 01:13 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,446,341 times
You need to study history a little more. America breaking from Britain one way or the other was pretty much inevitable. Britain failed to keep the Americas as a colony simply by allowing anyone with an axe and the willingness to clear a bunch of trees the rights to own property.

Even if it hadn't happened in the 1770's, if British Rule had been more just, if British Tariffs weren't so high, it would have still happened by the 1800's at the latest. In fact it's possible that the US would have encompassed much of what is Canada now if the Revolution had been delayed.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:17 PM

I would think that independence doesn't necessarily break your ties to a country, but just declares that your country isn't being ruled by another. Basically it would be like creating an autonomous region within a single country.

Secession means to completely detach yourself from another country politically. I'm pretty sure America completely detached itself from Britain.

Whether or not we felt we had more of a right because Britain had a king(though it also had a parliament). Or whether we weren't getting the representation we felt we deserved in parliament(which is the same amount of representation that our basically conquered territories get in our Congress). It was still secession, or complete removal from a political entity, in which we had agreed to be a part of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies