Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 10:11 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
I don't make make laws governing marriage.

My position is the state should not be involved in marriage at all. Then there is no controversy or problems.

Why should a criminal be stripped of his/her ability to get married? Just because someone commits a crime doesn't mean they shouldn't get married.

And the OPs example is from Sweeden. Where criminals and homos can all get married. So his example is ridiculous.

It's just an anti-Christian troll thread.
So, basically you can't answer the question.

At least you had a go. The other one just completely ignored it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 10:43 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,508,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
So, basically you can't answer the question.

At least you had a go. The other one just completely ignored it.
I answered the question.

The government should stay out of marriage.

That's the question right? Why should the state approve of 2 criminals getting married but doesn't apporve of 2 homosexuials getting married.

I gave a perfectly legit answer. Not my fault if you don't like it or chose to ignore it.

I noticed you didn't answer my question. What do criminals and gay people have in common? So why this comparison? Unless its about ant-Christian trolling. (Which it obviously is).

Old 05-28-2012, 10:46 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,508,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
AGAIN, where are heterosexuals being discriminated against any differently?

I am a Christian AND single as defined by the law, oh and straight too.

Now if you want to talk about how singles are being screwed as far as taxes go ... but being straight, I can marry my partner any time I want.
And gay people can marry their partner anytime they want. No one is preventing them. Not the law. Not Christians. No one. This idea put forth by people that gay marriage is banned or illegal is a lie. A big fat lie.

Single hetereosexuals are discriminated against the same as homosexual singles are. I think we had some type of miscommunication there.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:50 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times
Quote:
I answered the question.

The government should stay out of marriage.

That's the question right? Why should the state approve of 2 criminals getting married but doesn't apporve of 2 homosexuials getting married.

I gave a perfectly legit answer. Not my fault if you don't like it or chose to ignore it.

I noticed you didn't answer my question. What do criminals and gay people have in common? So why this comparison? Unless its about ant-Christian trolling. (Which it obviously is).
But the government is very much involved in marriage.

Are you being obtuse on purpose?

One group of people are incarcerated due to their crime against society. Another are law-abiding. One group have more personal rights than the other.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:12 AM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Why don't you actually try explaining away the hypocrisy of those droning on about the sanctity of the institution of marriage when convicted killers are allowed to marry whom they love but not law-abiding gays? Stop deflecting and answer, if you can. I'd love to see what nonsense you come up with.
Because it's just a really, really, really, ridiculous comparison. With not one iota of logic in the foundation.

There is no hypocrisy. What's going to happen? Marriage licenses are going to be annulled automatically is one of the two person on the license ends up a convicted felon of some sort?

Let me make something very clear: I'm all for gay marriage.

THIS comparison?

What's next?

People with DUI's shouldn't be allowed to marry if gay couples aren't?

People who are already divorced shouldn't be allowed to marry again if gay couples can't?

Dumb it down a little more....keep on talking smack about "these nut jobs who are LEGALLY allowed to marry"....while comparing gay marriage to the nut jobs.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:32 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,503,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
But they are man and woman. The way Gawd intended.
Not enough rep in the world.

Quote:
Wow. What a troll thread. This is in another country. Yet, it proves Christians in the U.S. are wrong? LOLs.

And by the way. Gays are allowed to marry in the U.S. Nobody is stopping them. It's just most State governments won't recognize such marriage.

What a trol thread. LOLs.
Since governments are the only ones capable of decreeing legal marriage, and with most states rejecting to legally grant marriage to homosexual couples, it is not legal for gays to marry in those states.

Last time I checked, it was seven states that had legal gay marriage, and North Carolina just passed an amendment banning same-sex marriages.

Quote:
And single hetereosexuals in the U.S. are also denied the "rights" granted married people. You don't hear them whining.
Quote:
Not one state law outlaws gay marriage. Not one.

And why aren't people fighting for these rights for everyone. What if a hetereosexual couple wants to live together, own property, have kids etc....Why should the State discriminate against them?????????? Just because they make a personal decision not to marry? lols.
Entering into the social contract of marriage bears responsibilities, benefits, and rights onto both holders. Opposite sex couples can enter into a marriage contract with their couple at any point in time. Same sex couples cannot enter into this legal contract, despite doing the same purpose.

Quote:
Why is the pro-gay marriage crowd willing to practice bigotry against single hetereosexual whilw whining about their "plight" at the same time. Hypocrits.
Quote:
And gay people can marry their partner anytime they want. No one is preventing them. Not the law. Not Christians. No one. This idea put forth by people that gay marriage is banned or illegal is a lie. A big fat lie.
The only one who seems to be proporting the idea that gay marriage is a criminal act is you. Not being legal, and being criminally illegal are two distinctly different concepts. A gay person cannot marry their significant other because the state will not provide those marriage contracts to same sex couples.

You're using strawmen fallacies, Ohio, and you do so throughout the entire thread. Marriage is a social contract between two adult persons granting various protected rights and benefits. A single person cannot enter into said contract with him or her self. You're not being denied marriage rights because it's logically impossible to marry oneself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Envision the "caveman" clubbing his "bribe" and dragging her away from her tribe to his tribe by her hair. RELIGIOUS AFFAIR? or tribal custom? Man invented religion long after he began coupling with his wife. The idea of stay with your mate and defending the litter long predates religion.

Government, I sense how you hate it, is an invention of man to organize his society, distribution of duties, protection of the tribe and the care and feeding of the tribe. Again government long predates religion. Self preservation natural predates "higher" thought processes.
I wouldn't consider superstitions to be a "higher" thought process, but the organization of those superstitions into methods of social control certainly are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Church of Satan? - wait a second- even the devil plays by God's rules...after all God created and controls good and evil- He is the all mighty....Man kind or some members of humanity have fallen lower than the devil- It's pretty pitiful when even Satan wants nothing to do with you.
Despite it's name, the Church of Satan has nothing to do with the Christian concepts of Satan or the Devil. The Church of Satan and its principles are about self-interest--it's actually an atheistic religion, well, LaVey called it a philosophy, which is fair, because really it's just egoism. I have his bible (The Satanic Bible) right next to my Koran and Bible. Fun things to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
Good, I hope they have cannibalistic pseudo-vampire kids and live happily ever after. Unless they don't. On a side note, I'm going to marry my favorite pastrami sandwich tomorrow and I'll be damned if I let anyone stand in my way.
Pastrami Sandwich's can't sign contracts, and that's Mayo stain doesn't count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Because it's just a really, really, really, ridiculous comparison. With not one iota of logic in the foundation.
It's not a comparison. The argument that gay marriage threatens striaght marriages, or ruins the "sanctity" of marriage, is ridiculous, because here we have a man and a woman, marrying, but their status is of such ridiculous nature, it bears asking why those two can marry, and that poses no such threat to the sanctity of marriage, yet homosexuals can't marry, despite being non-criminal tax-payers, as someone pointed out.

Quote:
There is no hypocrisy. What's going to happen? Marriage licenses are going to be annulled automatically is one of the two person on the license ends up a convicted felon of some sort?

Let me make something very clear: I'm all for gay marriage.

THIS comparison?

What's next?

People with DUI's shouldn't be allowed to marry if gay couples aren't?

People who are already divorced shouldn't be allowed to marry again if gay couples can't?

Dumb it down a little more....keep on talking smack about "these nut jobs who are LEGALLY allowed to marry"....while comparing gay marriage to the nut jobs.

It's a valid question. How can someone defend the sanctity of marriage by stating that marriage is only between a man and a woman, while simultaneously allowing two convicted homicidal maniacs to marry. If anything, the question deliberately points out the absurdity of the "sanctity of marriage" argument used by the religious-right.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:14 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
They can gain those right by marrying, something a homosexual couple can't do.
Why should there be any additional rights granted by marriage?
Why are "married" people a select group?
And I'm paying for their "rights".

Old 05-29-2012, 01:18 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
No, I am sick of the "christians" trying to link anything bad that happens to homosexuals.
There is plenty bad all over not associated with homosexuals. Don't think you're special in that regard.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:22 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,503,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
There is plenty bad all over not associated with homosexuals. Don't think you're special in that regard.
You're right. It isn't always the gays. It could be Obama. Or Liberals. Or Democrats. Or Muslims. Or Mexicans. Or Jews. Or Blacks. Or The Poor. Or Teachers' Unions. Or The Government. Or Taxes. Or...Well, you get the idea.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:04 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
So can you explain why there are pages and pages trying to link incest between a mother and son to homosexuals? Why the face eating, drug crazed man "had to be homolsexual"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies