Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 09:35 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,600,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
What do you have against the religion of peace?
TAXES, those given to the religion of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
Yes, we have laws. Most of those laws are based on preventing actual, proven harm. A society has to have laws against murder and theft to function.

And that is where the law should stop. Creating laws that have a religious basis, not a basis in facts and proven harm, is force. Because, as you say, only the law can force others to obey. If the only basis for a law is a religion and something as vague as morality, it is no different from making blue illegal because I personally think it's an ugly color and makes people depressed.
Knowing that I will be made to buy health care, that makes me depressed.

If people were voting their religious convictions Obama would never have made it into the Whitehouse. Or perhaps they were voting for their beliefs in mandates and knew he would be the one to make Americans enter into commerce without a choice. If that's the case, then yep, that is what they were doing.

They were voting against the Christian beliefs in choice and voting for the people to have mandates on a good chunk of their earnings.

Oh and btw, that is proven harm when a person can not afford to buy food, because the law requires health insurance coverage and that coverage is more than the person has remaining for food and shelter.

It's going to be a hard candy Christmas year around.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:05 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
Is that before of after the Aztecs were eating people?
The Aztecs practiced cannibalism during their RELIGEOUS practices. What does that have to do with the fact that there were written laws before the bible was written?

Old 05-29-2012, 10:17 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,364,433 times
Let me quote a well known evangelical pastor and founder of a booming church with massive growth, founder of the Mars Hill church:

"When you remove culture from the Gospel, then it loses meaning. When you fill a hollow void with nothing but words, then the words lose their meaning altogether, for in those words are the assumptions and principles and values of a people who lived millennia ago. To throw away the key to unraveling our own self-discovery and understanding the chaos around us and finding the path to righteousness and God, well that's just dumb. "

Voting religious convictions isn't bad. But to confuse religious convictions with the ability to govern or for cultural guidance is silly.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:28 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,854,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Some people vote on how handsome or cute the presidential candidate is.
MOST people do, at least on an unconscious level. Appearances play a huge role in elections.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
The Aztecs practiced cannibalism during their RELIGEOUS practices. What does that have to do with the fact that there were written laws before the bible was written?
Yes, I knew it was because of their religious practices. I don't know, that's what I was trying to figure out. What was your point?

I know we are the longest social culture still in existence and we have out lasted all of the ancient societies. I don't know if the Bible is a contributing factor to that or not. However, I do know in reading how other cultures met their extinction, we're in lock step to go extinct in much the same way.
Rise and Fall of Ancient Civilizations

Think on that one on voting day.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:44 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
Yes, I knew it was because of their religious practices. I don't know, that's what I was trying to figure out. What was your point?

I know we are the longest social culture still in existence and we have out lasted all of the ancient societies. I don't know if the Bible is a contributing factor to that or not. However, I do know in reading how other cultures met their extinction, we're in lock step to go extinct in much the same way.
Rise and Fall of Ancient Civilizations

Think on that one on voting day.
On election day I will be voting for the one who is most likely to treat ALL citizens equally. Not the one who believes he should be forcing his religious values on everyone using force of law.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
On election day I will be voting for the one who is most likely to treat ALL citizens equally. Not the one who believes he should be forcing his religious values on everyone using force of law.
Slavery during the Biblical age of society was 'man's law', not God's law. Those who believed in God knew it was wrong, (entered into convent with God) but that than face the consequences of man's law fines or imprisonment, the person they purchased (mandated to enter into commerce in the purchase of a human being) they made the slave a family member. Many didn't leave their new family when their term was served but rather stayed with them, because they were family and were loved as such.

Ending slavery was a Christian belief thing to do, they changed man's law.

So when looking at equality of citizens are you looking at in through the eyes of God, where all men are created equally? (and by that it is a spiritual thing) Or are you looking at through man's eyes where reality dictates, not every person is equal one to another? There is no way under Heaven that can be possible. There is no law that can make a poor man equal to a rich man, I don't care which way you try to slice it.

Those are the breaks in life, some succeed to great wealth while others don't. We all know that a murder can get off and not serve one day in jail, if the murder can afford a good lawyer. We all know that some one else, not of good means, might go to jail, even if he did not commit the crime he is accused of....where's the equality in that in man's laws?

The only thing a people can do is love one another and even in that, there is little equality.

imho the one worth voting for is the one that will help to prevent this:
Quote:
3. extensive warfare and imperial expansion weaken and overextends civilizations
no matter what his/her religious convictions are.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:38 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,194,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
Many times within these forums, I read someone saying that it is OK to vote for something if it is based on logic and reason and from an enlightened mind or whatever interpretation of that you like while being told voting for the same thing because of my religious convictions is bad, or voting against it due to religious reasons is bad. People tell me that it's because "not everyone believes as you do". Why should I be "asked" to vote for something with which I disagree while people on the other side are apparently not being asked to vote for things with which they disagree because not everyone believes what THEY do either! I always vote my convictions but for a society that is supposed to be SO open and free, freedom of thought seems to be constricted FROM many of those on the political left.

Charles Sands
So to show how free the country should be you should impose your religion on others? Feel free to do some research on Sharia law or have a look back at the Middle Ages. That's what happens when you make decisions based on religion.

To boot, the founding fathers didn't want your religion as part of the government.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:30 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,854,517 times
Quote:
Slavery during the Biblical age of society was 'man's law', not God's law. Those who believed in God knew it was wrong, (entered into convent with God) but that than face the consequences of man's law fines or imprisonment, the person they purchased (mandated to enter into commerce in the purchase of a human being) they made the slave a family member. Many didn't leave their new family when their term was served but rather stayed with them, because they were family and were loved as such.
How did they know it was wrong, exactly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies