Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 09:40 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
I think it's cute when someone from Australia tries to comment and judge the US. A country who's greatest gifts to the world are Crocodile Dundee and Crazy Mel Gibson needs to ****!

BTW,when is Australia going to have an Aborigine leader?
You can keep Mel, for all we care . Paul Hogan fled to the US because he's a tax evader. No big loss for us.

When you have a Native American President, I suppose?

There are as many aborigines in Oz as there are Native Americans in the US. That's nearly 12 times the rate per population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 09:41 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
I think it's cute when someone from Australia tries to comment and judge the US. A country who's greatest gifts to the world are Crocodile Dundee and Crazy Mel Gibson needs to ****!

uhm

mel gibson is a new yorker...born

Old 05-29-2012, 09:49 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
uhm

mel gibson is a new yorker...born
Talks like a full blown Yankee too.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:54 AM

180 posts, read 475,325 times
Honestly I have to agree with the OP. IMO America just likes to complain a lot. We want diversity but condemn gays, want less traffic but are against subways and light rails. It's either too hot or too cold. Too dry or too humid. NYC is too dirty, loud, and ghetto, however most people continuously visit. People hate the south but end of moving there because it has cheap housing. People complain about how congress gets nothing done, but tune in to watch the next episode of the Kardashians. The commute is too long, but decided to live on the other side of the city. If you want more serious examples, just ask.

So in a way we are contradictory. I believe every place is. America just might be a little more so.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:54 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:

Every country has dark moments in their history. Do you think everything in our country's history was hunky dory?

Old 05-29-2012, 10:19 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,594,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Every country has dark moments in their history. Do you think everything in our country's history was hunky dory?
No,but I'm sick and tired of people from other countries overly judge this one. Do we have problems,yeah. Are we perfect? Hell no. Neither are the others. Tired of the bash USA crap. Yeah we are a lanbd of contradicitons. We have 300 million people. We are the most diverse nation on earth. With that,in a country like ours,you will have contradicitions.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:23 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,058,246 times
The land of contradiction, double standards, and political correctness. Right on!

Old 05-29-2012, 11:12 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Please, humour me.

Ok, if you'll humor me:

Australia, a country founded by convicts. A country which is self-avowedly 63% Christian, but whose citizens freely elected a Prime Minister who has lived in sin with various men all her adult life (never married), supports abortion and disavows a belief in God.

A nation which fights for freedom overseas, but which did not elect its first Aborgine to Parliament until 1971 (we sent our first black person to Congress a hundred years before that). And, a nation which did the best they could to eliminate the native culture in New Guinea (and damn near succeeded). Worse, a nation which only has an IMPLIED right to vote!

A nation which is so environmentally conscious that they signed the infamous Kyoto Protocol, but who still maintain rabbit and dingo fences, in spite of the evidence of what damage that does to other species. They may even go back to paying a bounty for dingo hides.

A nation which is a steadfast ally in the fight against tyranny, but who forced Churchill to replace Australian troops in the besieged Fortress Tobruk, condemning troops from somewhere else to years of German captivity.

A nation whose cultural icons are Slim Dusty and a criminal who would rather drown himself in a Billabong than submit to the law. A nation whose chief export seems to be Nicole Kidman.

A nation who deigns to lecture us, but which may have still been a Prefecture of Japan were it not for the 600 American's who lost their lives turning back a Japanese invasion fleet in the Coral Sea.

I could go on, but you get my point.

Just in case you don't, the point is that if you're going to come here and gently ridicule us for our "contradictions" ( a polite way of saying hypocrisies), you might want to make sure your own pot is scrubbed clean before you call our kettle black.

Don't get me wrong. I love the Aussies and their Kiwi cousins, but two can play at this game.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:34 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Ok, if you'll humor me:

Australia, a country founded by convicts. A country which is self-avowedly 63% Christian, but whose citizens freely elected a Prime Minister who has lived in sin with various men all her adult life (never married), supports abortion and disavows a belief in God.

A nation which fights for freedom overseas, but which did not elect its first Aborgine to Parliament until 1971 (we sent our first black person to Congress a hundred years before that). And, a nation which did the best they could to eliminate the native culture in New Guinea (and damn near succeeded). Worse, a nation which only has an IMPLIED right to vote!

A nation which is so environmentally conscious that they signed the infamous Kyoto Protocol, but who still maintain rabbit and dingo fences, in spite of the evidence of what damage that does to other species. They may even go back to paying a bounty for dingo hides.

A nation which is a steadfast ally in the fight against tyranny, but who forced Churchill to replace Australian troops in the besieged Fortress Tobruk, condemning troops from somewhere else to years of German captivity.

A nation whose cultural icons are Slim Dusty and a criminal who would rather drown himself in a Billabong than submit to the law. A nation whose chief export seems to be Nicole Kidman.

A nation who deigns to lecture us, but which may have still been a Prefecture of Japan were it not for the 600 American's who lost their lives turning back a Japanese invasion fleet in the Coral Sea.

I could go on, but you get my point.

Just in case you don't, the point is that if you're going to come here and gently ridicule us for our "contradictions" ( a polite way of saying hypocrisies), you might want to make sure your own pot is scrubbed clean before you call our kettle black.

Don't get me wrong. I love the Aussies and their Kiwi cousins, but two can play at this game.
ouch

Old 05-29-2012, 01:13 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
ouch

What? Too harsh, do you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies