Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2012, 07:57 PM

673 posts, read 3,091,695 times

Advertisements

If you look at last few Presidential elections you see voter turn out at 50% to 57%. So there is a lot of people don't seem to care enough about election to actually show up to vote.

And honestly, I am starting to think they have a point. I have voted in every presidential election since I got to voting age, but right now it just does not seem to matter that much to me. For me personally it seems like even if you get those you vote for in power (Obama/democrats), they still can't get it right! At end of day, my everyday life is about the same as it was under Bush/Republicans.

None of these politicians inspires me to go out to vote. Yes, I am NOT keen on voting for again/reelecting Obama. Maybe, this year I should just stay home too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 09:13 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,242,711 times
I have come to the same conclusion you have: no matter which party gets in power, nothing changes. I know now that this is how the system is designed. I see no point in giving it legitimacy by participating, except that I will go down and vote for Ron Paul--even if I have to write him in.

Every President seems to reach new levels of stupidity and wasteful spending, but then as the next elections draw near, we find that the opposing party has chosen the most pathetic opposing candidate possible. I mean, Romney--are they serious? The guy known in Washington as "The White Obama" is our ALTERNATIVE to Obama?

Both political parties do exactly the same thing: make government bigger, more invasive, more expensive, more debt-ridden, less prosperous, and more war-mongering. The only difference is in rhetoric.

I resent that my vote (representing the value of a luxury SUV being sent to Washington every year, not counting SS and Medicare taxes) is effectively cancelled out by the vote of someone who pays no federal taxes, but instead gets cash from the federal level. At some point the working class will have to "Galt out" or they will be nothing but slaves of government. We are already pretty close.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:44 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
When it concerns electing a President, only the Electoral College vote counts. In 1824 the States decided to use the popular vote to determine which Electors are chosen for the Electoral College. The 1824 election was also the first and only time the House of Representatives chose the President because none of the candidates had 50% + 1 of the Electoral College vote.

The various State legislatures can choose any method they want to determine the Electors for the Electoral College. In 48 of the 50 States, the various State legislatures have determined to give all of their Electors to the candidate that won the popular vote. Only in Nebraska and Maine are the Electors split, determined by the popular vote.

Even if no one votes for President anywhere, the State legislatures will still find another means to determine their Electors. Some States are already talking about using the General Election to determine who will be their Electors, completely ignoring the results of their State popular vote.

In the end, the popular vote for President does not really matter. It would be simpler, and less confusing, if the popular vote for President was abolished.

It should be noted that this ONLY applies to the President, and no other political office. Therefore, it is still important for every citizen to vote for other political offices (Representatives, Senators, etc.). The more people that vote, the better the nation is represented. Those who do not vote, have no say in how they are being represented, and therefore they have no business complaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies