Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 02:21 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,653,219 times

Advertisements

We all know it's a merit-based scholarship, but shouldn't common sense and some semblance of a concern for humanity dictate that it be a merit and financial need-based scholarship? I won't debate that he hasn't technically earned the scholarship. He met the requirements, and so that goes without question. The question is, does he need it? If junior were to have a change of heart and say no to the scholarship, will the Combs family still be able to afford to send him to UCLA? We all know the answer to that.

When kids from wealthy families receive scholarships, whatever that figure happens to be, that's the exact same number of kids from poor families who couldn't receive that same scholarship. Can someone explain to me, in intricate detail, how that's just or how that reflects on us as an overall wealthy nation and a society who's supposed to pride itself on economic mobility? I know it's a free society, and people can decide to award scholarship based on whatever criteria they want, I guess I'm just wondering how some scholarship societies sleep at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Amazing. This kid works hard at Football and gets good grades and is offered a scholarship thanks to both and people are complaining that since his daddy is rich he should forgo the scholarship HE EARNED because of that? You have people like Paris Hilton and the Kardashian skanks doing absolutely nothing with their lives except for milking their families fortunes and this kid and his father, who FORCED HIM TO DO WELL IN SCHOOL AND SPORTS, are being attacked?

You people are idiots. Basically what you are saying is "work hard and earn your way but if you have a rich family just use their money instead of your own.". I said it before and I will say it again. If he earns a high paying job right out of college should he forgo that salary because daddy is rich?
Easy there tiger, no need to hurl personal insults. So yes, crazy as you seem to think it is, why not use your own money if you can? That's the American spirit of freedom and rugged individuality, is it not? I fail to see why some wealthy people can't stand on their own two feet and graciously refuse private monetary handouts when they don't need 'em.

All I'm saying is why should a poor kid, who worked every bit as hard at academics and football and whatever else, be passed up on a scholarship? Because I guarantee you that some whiz-kid high school star athlete somewhere out there, just got his/her heart broken becuase they didn't get a scholarship, all because P Diddy junior landed it instead.

If you can answer that question in all sincerity and honesty, without insulting like a petulant child then I will gladly respect your view, even if I didn't agree with it.

Last edited by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥; 05-31-2012 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 05-31-2012, 02:35 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,473,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
We all know it's a merit-based scholarship, but shouldn't common sense and some semblance of a concern for humanity dictate that it be a merit and financial need-based scholarship? I won't debate that he hasn't technically earned the scholarship. He met the requirements, and so that goes without question. The question is, does he need it? If junior were to have a change of heart and say no to the scholarship, will the Combs family still be able to afford to send him to UCLA? We all know the answer to that.

When kids from wealthy families receive scholarships, whatever that figure happens to be, that's the exact same number of kids from poor families who couldn't receive that same scholarship. Can someone explain to me, in intricate detail, how that's just or how that reflects on us as an overall wealthy nation and a society who's supposed to pride itself on economic mobility? I know it's a free society, and people can decide to award scholarship based on whatever criteria they want, I guess I'm just wondering how some scholarship societies sleep at night.
Again the athletic scholarships are segregated from need based scholarships. He is getting it purely on his athletic abilities and academic performance not on need.

Schools issue scholarships for a whole myriad of reasons some are need based so a poor person can compete for those. Obviously a wealthy kid cannot. However schools have scholarships simply based on academic service, an essay, community etc. If you're qualified you apply and compete.

I think people need to realize scholarships are not purely for financial need.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:38 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,958,841 times
Quote:
Easy there tiger, no need to hurl personal insults. So yes, crazy as you seem to think it is, why not use your own money if you can? That's the American spirit of freedom and rugged individuality, is it not? Stand on your own two feet and don't take private monetary handouts if you don't need 'em. All I'm saying is why should a poor kid, who worked every bit as hard at academics and football and whatever else, be passed up on a scholarship? Because I guarantee you that some whiz-kid high school star athlete somewhere out there, just got his/her heart broken because P Diddy junior landed it instead.

If you can answer that question in all sincerity and honesty, without insulting like a petulant child then I will gladly respect your view, even if I didn't agree with it.
Fine then replace "idiots" with "insane"

Anyways I understand what you are saying. I truly do but this kind of "disappointment" happens in life all of the time. Someone else gets the job you interviewed for. Someone gets the guy/girl you want. Someone else wins the lottery instead of you. It happens.

Just because his father is rich does not mean that he should be "punished" for it. He worked hard and earned his own way. I would think that as the child of someone who is ridiculously wealthy having that kind of work ethic and "get my own" mentality is a good thing.

The kid who lost out on the chance to go to UCLA can either fold it up and go through the rest of his life pouting about losing a scholarship to UCLA or he can try another school, work harder, get better etc. There are tons of options and while not ideal that's how life works. It's not how you deal when things are good it's how you deal when things aren't that build your character.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:39 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,473,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Fine then replace "idiots" with "insane"

Anyways I understand what you are saying. I truly do but this kind of "disappointment" happens in life all of the time. Someone else gets the job you interviewed for. Someone gets the guy/girl you want. Someone else wins the lottery instead of you. It happens.

Just because his father is rich does not mean that he should be "punished" for it. He worked hard and earned his own way. I would think that as the child of someone who is ridiculously wealthy having that kind of work ethic and "get my own" mentality is a good thing.

The kid who lost out on the chance to go to UCLA can either fold it up and go through the rest of his life pouting about losing a scholarship to UCLA or he can try another school, work harder, get better etc. There are tons of options and while not ideal that's how life works. It's not how you deal when things are good it's how you deal when things aren't that build your character.
Chances are the kid that "lost" the scholarship to Combs is not even needy himself. He'll simply play football elsewhere.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:41 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,295,406 times
If it will help UCLA beat SC next year I'm all for it.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:46 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,549,443 times
I wish Puffy would just show some leadership and end this by doing my first suggestion Congrats to him for raising a winner,thats not wrong but he clearly knows that he needs to send some kids that cant afford it to collegeI'mm convinced that the person who will cure cancer will come from somewhere unexpected. He probably already gives scholarships but in light of this great news just make it even greater.

Ok, fair enough. As someone who received scholarships based on both academic achievement and financial need, I could've been aware of scholarships that are based on merit alone. I never cared about the athletic world so that probably at least partially explains my ignorance of all the different types of scholarships out there. But in my opinion, scholarships based on merit and need are wonderful, whereas scholarships based on merit alone with no consideration for financial need, well those can either be good or bad depending on whether they go to people who actually need the money.

12,546 posts, read 21,462,880 times
1. He earned it.
2. I would bet money on the fact that Diddy will probably donate money to the school anyways.
3. Who cares

Old 05-31-2012, 02:48 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,462,880 times
Quote:
Ok, fair enough. As someone who received scholarships based on both academic achievement and financial need, I should've been aware of scholarships that are based on merit alone. But in my opinion, scholarships based on merit and need are wonderful, whereas scholarships based on merit alone with no consideration for financial need, well those can either be good or bad depending on whether they go to people who don't need it.
scholarships are coupons dangled in front of people to get them to attend the school. financial aid is different. few people pay full sticker price for college, even if they can afford to. at least, if the school wants you to attend, you're gonna get offered a coupon (scholarship).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies