Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 12:45 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times

Advertisements

So, it's a long, very long, slow and did I say long ..recovery.
The recession was over, as declared by the experts, in June 2009.

Definitely not a "V" as many thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 12:58 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,809,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Who would be these people? Did they not learn from 2001 recession, which was over in Nov 2001? And that was NOTHING compared to the debacle that happened, starting in Dec 2007.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:19 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,480,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
Grade school type debating error. You're saying that because A happened while condition B happened that A caused B. Basically, you'd get an F in grade school.

Making statements like that with nothing to back it up might make people assume that you're not of very high intelligence.
To begin with - thanks for the name calling.

Is that what I said?

If I wanted to say that - I WOULD HAVE SAID THAT A CAUSED B. But, I didn't.

I said -
Quote:
The Commerce Department reported that Gross Domestic Product expanded at a 1.9 percent annualized rate in the first quarter, down from its initital estimate of 2.2 percent and much slower than the 3.0 percent pace clocked in the fourth quarter of last year.

The report also showed that after-tax corporate profits dropped for the first time in three years.

Obama's policies are sending America in the wrong direction.
Don't accuse me of something just because you have to read something other than what is written.

The evidence is here for everyone to see and judge.

You, noexcuseforignorance, are the one who has made yourself look stupid.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:35 PM

764 posts, read 597,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Economy Watch - US economy grew sluggishly in the first quarter

The Commerce Department reported that Gross Domestic Product expanded at a 1.9 percent annualized rate in the first quarter, down from its initital estimate of 2.2 percent and much slower than the 3.0 percent pace clocked in the fourth quarter of last year.

The report also showed that after-tax corporate profits dropped for the first time in three years.

What policies?

Old 05-31-2012, 01:36 PM

Yooper, I think you missed this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
1- Compared to?
2- CBO presented this report for the quarter. Agree, or disagree?

Old 05-31-2012, 02:13 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,480,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
1- Compared to?
2- CBO presented this report for the quarter.
What the hell is this? CBO predictions and guesses? Estimates of growth between .1% to 1% had the stimulus not been passed?

You give us a 9 page CBO prediction report to dispute Obama's Commerce Department?

Don't you trust the Commerce Department's report that the Growth for the first quarter was only 1.9% ?

The Secretary Of Commerce is John Bryson. He was nominated for the position by President Barack Obama.

So Bryson is a liar when he reports that growth was only 1.9% huh?

I even got this report from MSNBC *-- http://economywatch.msnbc.msn.com/_n...t-quarter?lite*

Why do we have to go to such lengths and spell out everything to this extent to get Democrats to understand a simple figure put out by a Governmental Agency?

I don't give a crap about your CBO estimates about what would have happened if Obama didn't blow $800 billion on a stimulus gamble.

Last edited by Yooperkat; 05-31-2012 at 02:24 PM..

Old 05-31-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
What the hell is this? CBO predictions and guesses? Estimates of growth between .1% to 1% had the stimulus not been passed?

You give us a 9 page CBO prediction report to dispute Obama's Commerce Department?
I was given a link to that report by a "conservative" like yourself whose sole purpose in life appears to be blaming Obama. Although, in your defense, I would say you at least counted pages and read at least some of it... unlike my source of that information from yesterday.

As for what the hell it is... it is CBO's analysis of effects of Obama's stimulus for the first quarter of 2012, the same period you quoted for this thread.

It appears though, that you disagree with it. What is your basis for disagreement? Your feelings from the guts, or something more credible than that?

Old 05-31-2012, 03:09 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,674,750 times
Quote:
Economy Watch - US economy grew sluggishly in the first quarter

Here is a new slogan for the Obama campaign:

Growth - You Can Believe In

Well, it beats the hell out of:

Together We All Thrive (T.W.A.T.)

or

Win The Future (W.T.F.)

Old 05-31-2012, 04:29 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,298,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

I never thought it was going to be a V.

The biggest problem is there are no demographic, technical, or investment drivers to propel the economy much beyond a 2.5% to 3.0% growth rate at most. There also is still plenty of outsourcing going on and the entire European sovereign debt situation is also drag on the economy.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:30 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
I never thought it was going to be a V.

The biggest problem is there are no demographic, technical, or investment drivers to propel the economy much beyond a 2.5% to 3.0% growth rate at most. There also is still plenty of outsourcing going on and the entire European sovereign debt situation is also drag on the economy.
The only "driver" was the USG and they can't take on much more debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies