Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 07:30 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,856,976 times

Advertisements

First, this isn't about my personal feelings on abortion. What I'm trying to understand is people who seem to straddle both sides of the fence. Is it even possible to have a coherent middle road on this issue?

Examples of a middle of the road viewpoint:

Prochoice, but want to ban abortion based on sex selection

Prochoice, but get angry at people who have multiple abortions or are perceived to be using it for 'birth control'

Anti-abortion, but make exceptions for victims of rape and incest

There seems to be no logic in these viewpoints. I can understand both extremes, but not this semi-choice logic.

To be pro-choice, it would seem to require a belief that a fetus is just tissue. Aborting it is simply a medical procedure, not a death, and so trying to set limits of any kind on it seems illogical. Why does it matter if the mother aborts because she wanted a girl and the fetus is male? It's just tissue. Or why should it matter if that's the only form of birth control a woman ever uses?

To be anti-abortion, it seems to require a belief that the fetus is a child and aborting that fetus is the same as a death. In which case, victims of rape and incest shouldn't be an exception...the baby didn't cause it. We don't punish innocent people as the result of any other crime.

So I can understand these extremes because they carry through fully. But with the middle of the road, it seems like a fetus is a fetus except when we don't like the morals of the mother, in which case it becomes a baby. Or a baby is a baby, except when something awful and tragic happens to the mother, in which case the baby becomes a fetus.

But it seems like more people are middle-of-the-road than truly on the far extreme. Is there a way to morally and coherently hold this viewpoint?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 07:32 PM

37,151 posts, read 42,256,168 times
It's actually where most people live but they need a lable to feel good about themselves. The terms "prolife" and "prochoice" are meaningless by themselves.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:33 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,557,218 times
Let everyone have their own view. But don't force that view on others.
Except for the Hyde Amendment allowances, let everyone pay for their own abortion.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:38 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,865,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
So I can understand these extremes because they carry through fully. But with the middle of the road, it seems like a fetus is a fetus except when we don't like the morals of the mother, in which case it becomes a baby. Or a baby is a baby, except when something awful and tragic happens to the mother, in which case the baby becomes a fetus.
Well said.

I've never understood this logical disconnect myself. It's either alive or it's not. Period. I am pro choice but I am often disgusted with the typical pro-choicer's logic, as well as the typical pro-lifer's hypocrisy.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:41 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,641,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Let everyone have their own view. But don't force that view on others.
Except for the Hyde Amendment allowances, let everyone pay for their own abortion.
Including in the schools and public messages.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:47 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,089,946 times
Obama is not 'straddling the fence' on abortion. He is still for late term abortion and today, would not denounce gender selection abortions.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:49 PM

37,151 posts, read 42,256,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Obama is not 'straddling the fence' on abortion. He is still for late term abortion and today, would not denounce gender selection abortions.
He is "for" late term abortion? He likes them and advocates them because they are jolly good fun? Or he realizes he isn't a medical professional and thinks they should be the ones who make these difficult calls? I see a difference but I'm not sure you do.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:52 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,007,221 times
You know, I think most reasonable people "straddle the middle."

Most people don't really think that serial abortions are a good thing.

Most people don't think that abortion as a means of birth control is a good thing.

Most people don't think that a 12 year-old rape victim should be forced to bear a child.

Most people don't think that a woman should be forced to bear a child when it is clear that doing so will kill her.

It's the people who take an all-or-nothing stance that are usually the problem. Like just about any extremist.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:55 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,487,505 times
No, it's not possible in this political climate. You can never be pro-life enough or pro choice enough for the folks on either side, unfortunately.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:02 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,856,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
You know, I think most reasonable people "straddle the middle."

Most people don't really think that serial abortions are a good thing.

Most people don't think that abortion as a means of birth control is a good thing.

Most people don't think that a 12 year-old rape victim should be forced to bear a child.

Most people don't think that a woman should be forced to bear a child when it is clear that doing so will kill her.

It's the people who take an all-or-nothing stance that are usually the problem. Like just about any extremist.
But can you explain to me how you can hold both thoughts in your head at one time? How can you think "it's okay to kill a fetus...except in x,y, and x circumstances'

Basically, this says to me that on some level you (general you) DOES think the fetus is a baby. And you're therefore saying that it is moral to kill a baby in some circumstances and immoral to kill the same baby in other circumstances. That's what I don't understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies