Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 08:28 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,441,605 times

Advertisements

Susan G. Komen Foundation Losing Fundraising After Planned Parenthood Controversy | FDL News Desk

And I'm not surprised one bit. I don't know if the foundation will ever be able to recover. Everyone I know stopped giving to Komen after the PP scandal. I had friends who did the walk every year - not anymore.

Conversely, PP had more money come in after the whole debacle.

Just had to share this in light of the twisted "news" story that over 50% of Americans are opposed to all abortions. The people have spoken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 08:38 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,340,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Susan G. Komen Foundation Losing Fundraising After Planned Parenthood Controversy | FDL News Desk

And I'm not surprised one bit. I don't know if the foundation will ever be able to recover. Everyone I know stopped giving to Komen after the PP scandal. I had friends who did the walk every year - not anymore.

Just had to share this in light of the twisted "news" story that over 50% of Americans are opposed to all abortions. The people have spoken.
Less funding for breast cancer research, more money for abortions.

Sorry, but I fail to see any reason to rejoice.

This is just more if the I-win-you-lose zero-sum BS that is turning us all into savages.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:43 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,208,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Less funding for breast cancer research, more money for abortions.

Sorry, but I fail to see any reason to rejoice.

This is just more if the I-win-you-lose zero-sum BS that is turning us all into savages.
People are still raising money for a cure--they're just not giving it to Komen any more. That radical woman that Komen put in as their lobbyist overreached dramatically, and this is the natural consequence.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:51 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,076,509 times
Quote:

I will make sure to donate as much money as I can for the Komen foundation..... and so will many others. This is a biased propaganda piece and most likely a lie

**** planned parenthood and their hate for women

Old 05-31-2012, 08:52 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
They are so overexposed anyway. There was no way to keep it up. Pink everything wears a person down. Other groups will fill the gaps.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:29 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,589,298 times
I am glad this is happening, it would be great if Komen went under and was replaced with a true charitable organisation that didn't cut so much off the top and cared more for the healthcare of women, rather than marketing.

I rejoice that PP is gaining more funds; they are much needed to give women with little or no access to healthcare a place to go for screenings, check-up's etc. Abortions are such a small percent of their business, it is ludicrous to label them an abortion clinic - they are a women's healthcare clinic - period.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:57 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,340,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
People are still raising money for a cure--they're just not giving it to Komen any more. That radical woman that Komen put in as their lobbyist overreached dramatically, and this is the natural consequence.
I'm sorry, but I don't see the logic of punishing an organization for the supposed misdeeds of one person. That logic would preclude any further contributions to the Democratic party since John Edwards might just use them to cover up his next bimbo.

This is not some kind of game. It's life and death for many women. I find the vindictiveness displayed in this episode vicious and, in the long run, hurtful to many innocent people.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:03 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,980 times
Quote:
Neither am I - I think that this was one giant PR debacle that turned MANY people away from SGK.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:06 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I'm sorry, but I don't see the logic of punishing an organization for the supposed misdeeds of one person. That logic would preclude any further contributions to the Democratic party since John Edwards might just use them to cover up his next bimbo.

This is not some kind of game. It's life and death for many women. I find the vindictiveness displayed in this episode vicious and, in the long run, hurtful to many innocent people.
People got tired of it. It got to big, too much, too everywhere. It's the natural lifecycle of any group. It's not going to stop research into breast cancer, just reel in SGK back to managable levels.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:25 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,441,605 times
People can channel their money to other breast cancer groups. The point of my posting this article was to show that there is no validity to claims that there is dwindling of support in this country for PP or women's rights.

No one is rejoicing, that characterization is pure horse pucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies