Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 09:50 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times

Advertisements

Michigan Supreme Court gives Detroit a choice to legalize pot

yes or no,, what you think???

yes!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 10:10 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,299,889 times
Yes...it would boost revenues for the city and also stop using the police for petty weed crimes. In a 100 years we're all going to look back and wonder why it took so long

I live in a state where weed is legal with a medical card.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:36 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Last I looked, the Michigan Supreme Court had a Republican majority. Perhaps they support local control and smaller state control.

Unlike the legislature which banned rent control when Detroit voters qualified a rent control initiative for the ballot in 1988.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:18 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,503,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
Well, it only legalizes possession up to an ounce--who the hell are you going to be buying from?

It is barely a baby step in the right direction. It's still criminal, it just relaxes resources on petty offenders for possession.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:12 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
Yes then Toronto could do it and then it would start to ber legal all over the U.S. and Canada and then we tax it... Atleast with pot you cannot OD... It is Non-addictive Natural Growing Plant and well maybe it will stop kids from trying that legal to buy "Bathsalts" that is sold to anyone over the counter at the local Kwik-E-Mart.

Bathsalts seem to be some harsh stuff even worse than other drugs but we made all those safer less drugs illegal so they make this bathsalt stuff to replace it... which no one knows what the effects are long term or short term... Atleast with pot we know the side effects and it has been well studied and documented and pot has yet to make people so messed up they bite a persons face off like what happend in Florida a week or so back.

then again i live in Vancouver and pot is semi legal and we are doing ok the worse thing is maybe people drive under the influence but people do that with Alcohol all the time.. So people just need to use it in a responsible way and then there will be no issues with it being legal.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:55 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,482,659 times
I don't think it's a good idea.

I live in Michigan and I know Detroit pretty well. Yeah, Ann Arbor decriminalized pot a long time ago, but Detroit is something different altogether.

When you hear about the NY ghetto or Chicago's ghetto you think horror. Detroit's ghetto is quite wicked.

Even if they decide to legalize possession up to an ounce - Detroit has much bigger problems. A gun would be found on half of the people searched.

The last thing Detroit needs is people standing on the corner openly passing out dope (less than an ounce) and smoking it. It's not like they don't already do it, but this would make it acceptable in the eyes of the law/actually weakening law enforcement's mission. The unimaginable task of cleaning up Detroit.

Detroit is broke. And they are asking the state of Michigan to bail them out. Don't know what's going to happen yet.

The Detroit metropolitan area is the size of Rhode Island. The drugs are already there. Decriminalizing marijuana in an area of that size, advertises to the traffickers that Detroit is a drug friendly city.

Everything that comes into Detroit, gets disseminated throughout Michigan, especially up the I-75 corridor. Flint, Saginaw, Bay City and beyond are effected by this.

Why encourage more criminal behavior? I really hope my state doesn't go this way.

Note: Medicinal marijuana is legal in Michigan.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:57 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,203,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
I don't think it's a good idea.

I live in Michigan and I know Detroit pretty well. Yeah, Ann Arbor decriminalized pot a long time ago, but Detroit is something different altogether.

When you hear about the NY ghetto or Chicago's ghetto you think horror. Detroit's ghetto is quite wicked.

Even if they decide to legalize possession up to an ounce - Detroit has much bigger problems. A gun would be found on half of the people searched.

The last thing Detroit needs is people standing on the corner openly passing out dope (less than an ounce) and smoking it. It's not like they don't already do it, but this would make it acceptable in the eyes of the law/actually weakening law enforcement's mission. The unimaginable task of cleaning up Detroit.

Detroit is broke. And they are asking the state of Michigan to bail them out. Don't know what's going to happen yet.

The Detroit metropolitan area is the size of Rhode Island. The drugs are already there. Decriminalizing marijuana in an area of that size, advertises to the traffickers that Detroit is a drug friendly city.

Everything that comes into Detroit, gets disseminated throughout Michigan, especially up the I-75 corridor. Flint, Saginaw, Bay City and beyond are effected by this.

Why encourage more criminal behavior? I really hope my state doesn't go this way.

Note: Medicinal marijuana is legal in Michigan.
Traffickers will lose business to real salesmen.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:05 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,482,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
Traffickers will lose business to real salesmen.
Not sure what you're getting at Michigantown.

Do you mean the cops?

Detroit has had corrupt mayors for decades. But I don't think Dave Bing is into that kind of stuff.

What real salesmen are you talking about? The mafia?

Old 06-03-2012, 08:07 AM

1,389 posts, read 1,313,161 times
Seems half azz to the problems of today.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:16 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,203,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Not sure what you're getting at Michigantown.

Do you mean the cops?

Detroit has had corrupt mayors for decades. But I don't think Dave Bing is into that kind of stuff.

What real salesmen are you talking about? The mafia?
Anyone that wants to sell it legally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies