Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 12:02 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Look who the big government-spending liberal is now!
nasa is big government???

we spent less on nasa than we do of welfare for the freeloaders
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 12:02 AM

45,585 posts, read 27,209,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
nope

the shuttle should be in space with the federal space program, instead of being dissed to the side , like a piece of trash, by the obama admin
Can't disagree there - nice comeback.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:07 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,456,732 times
Quote:

Of course it's funded through the government. Who else??

It's rather hypocritical for people like you to scream "CUT THE BUDGETS!" on everything and then single out your flying space saucers for special treatment. Let's be consistent at least and not have any sacred cows. NASA, EPA, FDA, medicare, miltary...if slashing is the name of the game, then all can line up and lose a major limb or three.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:13 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
nope

the shuttle should be in space with the federal space program, instead of being dissed to the side , like a piece of trash, by the obama admin
It was under the Bush administration ramp down of the Space Shuttle program started. What Obama killed was the Constellation program started under Bush to replace the Space Shuttles. It's debatable whether that was wise decision.

That fact is they are old and expensive to run. It's only a matter of time before there was another accident, development started when I was adolescent and I'm middle aged now. Sad as it is to see them go, it's time.

The Ares I which would have launched crew was tested, the Ares V which would have launched heavy payloads never made it to the pad:

Last edited by thecoalman; 06-05-2012 at 12:23 AM..

Old 06-05-2012, 12:59 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
The shuttle should be where?
In space.

The Russians and Chinese should not be handling ferry travel to the ISS - the USA should be in charge of that.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:35 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,864,651 times
Quote:
nope

It was long before planned to be phased out...Obama had nothing to do with it. They actually kept it flying past the original end date.

I find it curious how no one cared about Gemini or Apollo being phased out but some how this one bothers them.

Nasa has some projects on the drawing board (under the Obama administration) including manned flights to Mars.

The recent success of the private company docking with the space station should make many happy as it is no longer "big government" handling those missions but private endeavors.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:36 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
Good. Too bad it didn't SINK in the river!
Explain your position please.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:41 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,864,651 times
Quote:

If those taking $129 / month for food are freeloaders... what are bankers taking hundreds of billions? Why the outrage for the poor and the pittance they take vs the trillion Wall Street took?

We seem to have changed as to our willingness to help our own, but we will run to the aid of the poor in every other nation of the world... Curious!

btw... I'm not really faulting you for your view but I find it seems we have a lopsided disdain for thievery. On amounts that matter we make no mention....

Does anyoine else find this odd/

Old 06-05-2012, 08:10 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
If those taking $129 / month for food are freeloaders... what are bankers taking hundreds of billions? Why the outrage for the poor and the pittance they take vs the trillion Wall Street took?

We seem to have changed as to our willingness to help our own, but we will run to the aid of the poor in every other nation of the world... Curious!

btw... I'm not really faulting you for your view but I find it seems we have a lopsided disdain for thievery. On amounts that matter we make no mention....

uhmmm

I was against the bank bailout...they failed, they should have been allowed to fail

I was against the bailout of GM and Chrysler...if they are not vaible..let them fail;

I was against the insurance bailout..infact I am against insurance to begin with...it is thievery

I am against all these foreign affairs monies that the we give (why dont we LOAN it to them) to other countries....billions to israel, haiti, somolia, dakar, pakistan, syria, etc

I am not against a helping hand up as welafre was initailly supposed to be..but it has morphed into a fryingpan that is unsustainable

Old 06-05-2012, 08:25 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,204,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Johnson Space Center - Houston - you know, mission control for the shuttle flights?
Do I sense a little shuttle envy??? Doesn't Texas have enough already?
Quote:
nope

And we all should be driving Model T's, too. The shuttle is old technology. Why should we hold on to this tech when it will delay the development of better options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post

Always find it curious that the wingnuts go after the working poor, elderly and single mothers when they want to go off about government waste, but the trillions big business steals from the fed and our treasury is off limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies