Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2012, 07:13 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,682,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoButCounty View Post
Bulls**t. I've smoked almost daily for 44 years since I was 14 years and I have no "mental lapses. I've been married for 37 years, raised & educated 3 kids, own multiple houses including several rental properties, and I'm now retired with 7 figures in retirement savings. The stoners I associate with are all professionals (my family doc for one) and have no mental lapses.

Your statement is nothing but an incorrect generalization. You simply regurgitate the stereotype. Sorry, but you should do some research before throwing out generalizations. BTW, the two most recent polls show 56% (Rasmussen) and 52% (Angus Reid) support for legalization of recreational marijuana. It is currently estimated by our government that there are 30M regular stoners just in the US. That's 10% of the population.

Seems to me like babies should be falling off of car roofs all over the place with those kinds of numbers.
Sure, and some smoke cigarettes all their life and do not die of cancer. Does that mean cigarettes are harmless?

I have attached several medical studies, which you can either read or ignore. It is up to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 07:15 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,029,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
THE MEDICAL DANGERS OF MARIJUANA USE

Marijuana has long been known to trigger attacks of mental illness, such as bipolar (manic-depressive) psychosis and schizophrenia. This connection with mental illness should make health care providers for terminally ill patients and the patients themselves, who may already be suffering from some form of clinical depression, weigh very carefully the pros and cons of adopting a therapeutic course of marijuana.

In the short term, marijuana use impairs perception, judgment, thinking, memory, and learning; memory defects may persist six weeks after last use. Mental disorders connected with marijuana use merit their own category in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) IV, published by the American Psychiatric Association. These include Cannabis Intoxication (consisting of impaired motor coordination, anxiety, impaired judgment, sensation of slowed time, social withdrawal, and often includes perceptual disturbances; Cannabis Intoxication Delirium (memory deficit, disorientation); Cannabis Induced Psychotic Disorder, Delusions; Cannabis Induced Psychotic Disorder, Hallucinations; and Cannabis Induced Anxiety Disorder.

In addition, marijuana use has many indirect effects on health. Its effect on coordination, perception, and judgment means that it causes a number of accidents, vehicular and otherwise.

For further information, you may find the following sites helpful:

Sarnia Online, for information on links between marijuana use and mental health risks.
Sarnia Online, for more information on the indirect effects of marijuana on health
http://www.adf.org.au/drughit, the Australian Drug Foundation�s website
http://marijuananews.com/a_safe_ high_.htm, a reprint of New Science magazine�s "Marijuana Special Report: A Safe High?" with commentary
http://marijuananews.com/claim_four.htm, an article about the similarity of long-term marijuana use�s effect on the brain to that of "hard" drugs, with commentary
www.drugs.indiana.edu/publications/iprc/misc/smokescreen.html, for general information on the health risks of marijuana.
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Publications| SAMHSA Store, the homepage of the National Clearinghouse on Alcohol and Drug Information, for general information on marijuana.
Lets see, the first link isnt a study, merely an article....from 1997.
Sarnia, whatever the heck that is, also lists garage sales on its website.
Real credible link there.
The rest of the links are just articles.
No hard studies.
Still cant figure out the difference between an article and a medical study, even after I posted a real medical study?
Oy vey.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Sure, and some smoke cigarettes all their life and do not die of cancer. Does that mean cigarettes are harmless?

I have attached several medical studies, which you can either read or ignore. It is up to you.
Except they arent credible studies, they are merely articles.
Find one from the AMA, or the Royal Society of Medicine.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:19 PM

The reaction to hard facts and studies expose the deep state of denial of the pro-narcotic crowd. It also exposes the weakness of their own argument which is supported by nothing except loud "you are wrong" screams.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
The reaction to hard facts and studies expose the deep state of denial of the pro-narcotic crowd. It also exposes the weakness of their own argument which is supported by nothing else except loud "you are wrong" screams.
Please, you wouldnt know a credible medical study if it jumped up and bit you on the azz.
I asked you to post studies, not articles.
I really have no idea why you cannot seem to discern the difference between the 2.
It would be amusing if it werent really just kind of pathetic.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:29 PM

Here is an interesting summary of multiple medical studies all proving a strong link between marijuana and mental illness

http://www.theantidrug.com/pdfs/MARI...AND_MENTAL.pdf

Old 06-06-2012, 07:31 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,740,698 times
Quote:
The reaction to hard facts and studies expose the deep state of denial of the pro-narcotic crowd.

nobody here is saying weed is 100 percent safe.. could you tell me what is.??

so should it be illegal because some people screw up?? well if you say yes?? then all things deemed not safe should be made illegal..

where do we start?? people die because of all theses things

driving

football

boxing

twinkies

mountain climbing

biking

boating

climbing trees

sticking fireworks and lighting them near you gens while drinking beer is definitely not safe.. should be made illegal immediately
Idiot thinks attaching himself to fireworks is a good idea

Old 06-06-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Here is an interesting summary of multiple medical studies all proving a strong link between marijuana and mental illness

http://www.theantidrug.com/pdfs/MARI...AND_MENTAL.pdf
Thats still an article, not a study.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:35 PM

An association between marijuana use and mental illness, particularly psychosis, has long been recognized. Recently, with a better understanding of brain function and pharmacology, researchers have renewed their interest in this subject. Although present statistics suggest that marijuana accounts for 10 percent of all cases of psychosis, epidemiological evidence suggests that the number could be higher. Patients with psychosis are at higher risk for cardiovascular and metabolic diseases compared to the general population.

Does Marijuana Cause Mental Illness?

Pot accounts for 10% of all cases of psyhcosis Good grief, it is even worse than I thought.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:37 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,961,323 times
HowStuffWorks "Marijuana and the Brain"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies