Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2012, 06:43 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Correct. It is actually far more harmful than I thought. I provided references to dozens of medical studies and the results are downright scary. 10% of all mental psychosis cases in US are triggered by marijuana.
Except you posted no studies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 07:00 PM

1,022 posts, read 2,551,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
I tend to agree with you, in the context that it doesn't lend itself to the type of addiction present in opiates, cocaine, meth, and alcohol, nor does it cause severe physical problems like alcoholic cirrhosis.

That said, marijuana can cause users to be forgetful. Very forgetful.

As in can't-finish-a-complete-sentence-because-I-forgot-wth-I-was-talking-about forgetful.

As in repeatedly forgetting the amount of ground cloves in the seconds it took to read the recipe on the counter and then moving over to the mixer 2 ft away. (Luckily, it turned out to be the best pumpkin pie, ever, but I think I wound up putting twice the normal amount in.)

As in "I've so been there." (and precisely why I gave it up so many decades ago)

I'm not the least bit surprised this kid did what she did while under the influence. It's the nature of the drug.
True. Marijuana definetely impacts my short term memory. However, when I do smoke, I make sure I have absolutely nothing else to do. Nothing that requires driving or mental exercise; pretty much nothing that requires me having to leave wherever I'm at or do anything important. I've driven high in the past, and it wasn't smart. I wasn't impaired to the point where I couldn't function, but I literally got lost a couple times in otherwise familiar territory and forgot my destination a couple of times along the way. Granted, I was much younger too. I certainly wouldn't do it today.

That said, I don't think this incident serves as any sort of platform to support banning MJ. This girl obviously wasn't responsible. Like others have said, this is much more of a user issue and not a substance issue.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:04 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Griff View Post
True. Marijuana definetely impacts my short term memory. However, when I do smoke, I make sure I have absolutely nothing else to do. Nothing that requires driving or mental exercise; pretty much nothing that requires me having to leave wherever I'm at or do anything important. I've driven high in the past, and it wasn't smart. I wasn't impaired to the point where I couldn't function, but I literally got lost a couple times in otherwise familiar territory and forgot my destination a couple of times along the way. Granted, I was much younger too. I certainly wouldn't do it today.

That said, I don't think this incident serves as any sort of platform to support banning MJ. This girl obviously wasn't responsible. Like others have said, this is much more of a user issue and not a substance issue.
Indeed. Fuzzy memory is one of the more typical effects of being high on pot. I pointed out the memory issues earlier, but the pro-drug crowd insist there is no such effect. They demanded proof, which was provided, but they still won't admit that such side effect exists.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:40 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
The point is that pot is not harmless, as some pot advocates claim.
Similar to how air, water, music, etc. are not truly harmless I suppose..

Old 06-07-2012, 08:43 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,649 times
I wonder how many of you who live in apartment complexes, condo's, or even houses which are close to one another, would be happy with your neighbors smoking marijuana? Yes. You maybe for the legalization of it, however, for me and MILLIONS of other people, marijuana smoke stinks worse then cigarette smoke (although, not much more). How many would really want that nasty smell, wafting throughout their homes? Legalize it, and there is NOTHING which can be done. Then what?

Old 06-07-2012, 08:47 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
I wonder how many of you who live in apartment complexes, condo's, or even houses which are close to one another, would be happy with your neighbors smoking marijuana? Yes. You maybe for the legalization of it, however, for me and MILLIONS of other people, marijuana smoke stinks worse then cigarette smoke (although, not much more). How many would really want that nasty smell, wafting throughout their homes? Legalize it, and there is NOTHING which can be done. Then what?
How is it worse than cooking odors?
If one is so put off by their neighbors habits, obviously communal living isn't for them.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:49 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times
Quote:
Dude, I think you're high. It is called a contact high I think. If you don't like it move.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:50 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
Quote:

weed smells good to me, it's one of the best smells in nature... thats a matter of opinion

do you like the smell of stinky tofu,?? thought not!!! but millions of chinese love it

Old 06-07-2012, 09:01 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP72 View Post
You should just trust the FDA. They know what is best for you.

Deaths from Marijuana v. 17 FDA-Approved Drugs
(Jan. 1, 1997 to June 30, 2005)

Deaths from Marijuana v. 17 FDA-Approved Drugs - Medical Marijuana - ProCon.org
Gee, I have a greater chance of dieing from the half tablet of Baclofen I take every day than I do from smoking a bowl or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Yes you have met many, you just have no idea because they are functional.
It's always funny when one finds out just who actually smokes it. It's usually those least expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoButCounty View Post
The acceptance of "articles" as fact without actually examining sources or "other interests" involved in the authoring of those articles simply shows a lack of critical thinking. You obviously accept anything that fits with your "world view" simply reaffirming your (somewhat questionable) beliefs on the subject.

Once again, I would ask.... where are the bodies? Why aren't the mental hospitals filling up with with schizophrenic pot smokers? The answer is because it's not the big issue you seem to think it is. Considering that there are 30M pot smokers in the US alone, I would think that would be identified.

The fact that you question nothing you read shows an obvious lack of intellectual curiosity.
This question is easy: because they don't let the schizo's smoke pot. One enters the mental hospital as a "schizophrenic pot smoker", but soon (like, within hours man!) that high wears off and that schizophrenic pot smoker is now just a plain old schizo.
I guess we should keep them in the mental wards until their blood tests come back clear of that awful weed.

Quote:
Indeed. Fuzzy memory is one of the more typical effects of being high on pot. I pointed out the memory issues earlier, but the pro-drug crowd insist there is no such effect. They demanded proof, which was provided, but they still won't admit that such side effect exists.
Ah man, I have to admit to this fuzzy memory stuff. I am so bad that I have to have a kitchen timer just so I don't burn the cookies.
I really did get tired of singing "I got stoned and I missed it" whenever I burnt the dang things. NOW? I never, ever, ever burn cookies.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:10 PM

4,077 posts, read 5,606,903 times
Quote:
An association between marijuana use and mental illness, particularly psychosis, has long been recognized. Recently, with a better understanding of brain function and pharmacology, researchers have renewed their interest in this subject. Although present statistics suggest that marijuana accounts for 10 percent of all cases of psychosis, epidemiological evidence suggests that the number could be higher. Patients with psychosis are at higher risk for cardiovascular and metabolic diseases compared to the general population.

Does Marijuana Cause Mental Illness?

Pot accounts for 10% of all cases of psyhcosis Good grief, it is even worse than I thought.
Cannabis use has increased dramatically over the past few decades but declined in the last decade, whereas the rate of psychosis has not increased. This suggests cannabis generally only hastens the onset of psychosis in those who would otherwise only become psychotic at a later date.

"Correlation does not imply causation"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies