Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2012, 05:10 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,680,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
"A mother in Arizona left her 5-week-old baby on top of her car and drove away, not even noticing when the seat and the baby fell off in the middle of an intersection. Fortunately the baby was uninjured and was later found by neighbors still strapped into his safety seat, according to ABC.
Catalina Clouser, the infant’s 19-year-old mother who had allegedly been smoking marijuana, was arrested for charges of child abuse and driving under the influence. She reportedly drove a dozen miles before realizing her baby was missing, states The Tucson Citizen."

5-week-old Baby Winds Up in Middle of Intersection | TheCelebrityCafe.com
That's unfortunate but I would not be so quick to blame marijuana.
At 5 weeks old, the woman was a new mother, that takes some getting used to.
Hormones and post-partum depression can have sever effects on a new mother.
I live in LA for three years and twice I saw babies in car seats sitting on top of a moving car. (how many of you have left your precious coffee on the roof of your car?)
Anyone - Even a sober person could have done this.

I did not read the article and maybe it says, but if she tested positive for marijuana, she could have smoked it a week prior to the incident and not since and still test positve and her forgetting the baby has nothing to do with being stoned.

Everyone's memories work differently. I have always forgotten things, even as a child and when a teen. When I started smoking in my early 20's, I did not start forgetting more.
To this day, I do not have a calendar to remind me to pay a bill. I always remember, even the odd bills, new ones, and then some.
Also if marijuana is such a memory issue, then how is it that I study for a test stoned and still get an A. I have returned to college, two semesters done and I have straight A's both semesters.

Life makes me forget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 05:13 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,723,727 times
Default Cannabis is non-toxic

Marijuana is a mind altering/mood altering drug. If it didn't alter your mood, it wouldn't be a drug and no one would be complaining. People smoke marijuana to get "high.

What do you do with the men/women who openly smoke, its their right now, in front of children?

Alcohol is a mind altering/mood altering drug, the govt refuses to call it a drug as that would require testing for safety and effectiveness.

If some people don't like the smell of cannabis, that doesn't prove it is harmful. It won't even harm infants or pets.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:31 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,665,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Marijuana Anonymous World Services

Marijuana Abuse | Marijuana Abuse Dot Net

Marijuana use may be harmful to mental health—The Family Health Guide

Marijuana Addiction Stories

"As marijuana addiction stories go, this is pretty typical. Entire families smoke all of the time and think there is no problem. Any problems that are there are seen as something unrelated to drug use. Marijuana has become like alcohol use, no big deal and any problems are ignored."

TRUTH ABOUT MARIJUANA VIDEO - Real Life Stories - Side Effects of Marijuana, Cannabis and Hashish Facts

“I started using on a lark, a dare from a best friend who said that I was too chicken to smoke a joint and drink a quart of beer. I was fourteen at that time. After seven years of using and drinking I found myself at the end of the road with addiction. I was no longer using to feel euphoria, I was just using to feel some semblance of normality. Then I started having negative feelings about myself and my own abilities. I hated the paranoia. I hated looking over my shoulder all the time. I really hated not trusting my friends.

“I became so paranoid that I successfully drove everyone away and found myself in the terrible place no one wants to be in—I was alone. I’d wake up in the morning and start using and keep using throughout the day.” —Paul

“I was given my first joint in the playground of my school. I’m a heroin addict now, and I’ve just finished my eighth treatment for drug addiction.” —Christian

“The teacher in the school I went to would smoke three or four joints a day. He got lots of students to start smoking joints, me included. His dealer then pushed me to start using heroin, which I did without resisting. By that time, it was as if my conscience was already dead.” —Veronique
From above, it sounds like marijuana use gone outrageously out of control. It happens, because whatever the government tries to ban, it loses control over it. The more people disagree with the ban the worse out of control it becomes. So whoever posted what was quoted above made a damned good case to legalize marijuana in order to gain better control over it. As it stands now marijuana is so alarmingly out of control in this country that high school kids are more likely to have smoked a joint than a cigarette.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:02 PM

Default Cannabis is non-toxic

Marijuana is a mind altering/mood altering drug. If it didn't alter your mood, it wouldn't be a drug and no one would be complaining. People smoke marijuana to get "high.

What do you do with the men/women who openly smoke, its their right now, in front of children?

Alcohol is a mind altering/mood altering drug; the govt refuses to call it a drug as that would require testing for safety and effectiveness.

If some people don't like the smell of cannabis, that doesn't prove it is harmful. It won't even harm infants or pets.

Hateful, bribe-taking, racist, paranoid alcoholic Richard Nixon thought the cannabis users belonged in prison as if so inferior to himself.

What does getting "high" mean, elevation of mood? Sounds better than depressed. Maybe some think high as in hyperactive as in not knowing what they are doing and therefore possibly violent. But US govt quit claiming it made people violent in 1948. 1/3 of alcoholics admit they are sometimes violent.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:30 PM

Default MJ can't harm users let alone others

Quote:
You could care less what the effects of drug use are on others. At least admit the facts. You want to use drugs and it be legal and be DAMNED what it does to anyone else, and/or society.

Marijuana is hazardous and causes addiction. The addiction to the drug, causes crime. The crime causes hurt, pain on innocent people. This causes increased costs on society as a whole.

You don't care what happens to the family across the street. Yet, you claim to be liberal and want to look out for the world

Addiction potential: 1/5th as addicting as tobacco, 1/4th as addicting as alcohol, 1/3 as addicting as caffeine, according to experts. So what kind of crime is caused by cannabis addiction?

The only increased costs to society IMO is phony war on some drugs.

After 10,000 years of use by over 1 billion people, they still can't prove even 1 person has died as a direct result of using canabis. It is known for *not* causing intense physical withdrawal, which is probably why presidential candidate Gary Johnson used it after falling 50 feet, with multiple broken bones.

How could someone using cannabis harm the family across the street?

If you want education try Wikipedia. It requires citing sources, so not much that isn't true gets on there & if false, is usually removed quickly. You don't have to take my word for something long proven to be true.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:43 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,031,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post

Alcohol is a mind altering/mood altering drug, the govt refuses to call it a drug as that would require testing for safety and effectiveness.

Oh noes..........what should we do with the folks that drink coffee openly in front of the children????

Old 06-10-2012, 09:46 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,034,990 times
Quote:
The list...
"See I think drugs have done some good things for us, I really do. And if you don't think drugs have done good things for us, do me a favor. Go home tonight, take all your albums, all your tapes, and all your CDs and burn them. Because you know what? The musicians who made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years... were real f-in high on drugs!"
-Bill Hicks

Old 06-11-2012, 06:11 AM

973 posts, read 1,454,208 times
Oh no! A child was forgotten at a Pub! Was alcohol to blame?? There were more people too. 2 Carloads of people. Lets get to banning alcohol.

UK Prime Minister Leaves Daughter in Pub - ABC News

Old 06-11-2012, 06:55 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,001,405 times
Quote:

"As marijuana addiction stories go, this is pretty typical. Entire families smoke all of the time and think there is no problem. Any problems that are there are seen as something unrelated to drug use. Marijuana has become like alcohol use, no big deal and any problems are ignored."

TRUTH ABOUT MARIJUANA VIDEO - Real Life Stories - Side Effects of Marijuana, Cannabis and Hashish Facts

“I started using on a lark, a dare from a best friend who said that I was too chicken to smoke a joint and drink a quart of beer. I was fourteen at that time. After seven years of using and drinking I found myself at the end of the road with addiction. I was no longer using to feel euphoria, I was just using to feel some semblance of normality. Then I started having negative feelings about myself and my own abilities. I hated the paranoia. I hated looking over my shoulder all the time. I really hated not trusting my friends.

“I became so paranoid that I successfully drove everyone away and found myself in the terrible place no one wants to be in—I was alone. I’d wake up in the morning and start using and keep using throughout the day.” —Paul

“I was given my first joint in the playground of my school. I’m a heroin addict now, and I’ve just finished my eighth treatment for drug addiction.” —Christian

“The teacher in the school I went to would smoke three or four joints a day. He got lots of students to start smoking joints, me included. His dealer then pushed me to start using heroin, which I did without resisting. By that time, it was as if my conscience was already dead.” —Veronique
YAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWN!

Quote:
Of course they are useless to a druggie such as yourself. You could care less what the effects of drug use are on others. So long as you can smoke it and love it, without any retaliation. At least admit the facts. You want to use drugs and it be legal and be DAMNED what it does to anyone else, and/or society.

Useless druggie? LOL! Thanks I needed a good laugh. But seriously, why is it any of your business? Stop trying to control the lives of others!

Marijuana is NOT the harmless drug people purport it to be. It is hazardous and causes addiction. The addiction to the drug, causes crime. The crime causes hurt, pain on innocent people. This causes increased costs on society as a whole.

Ever see the average run of the mill pot head knock over a gas station, or a bank to get their fix? Nope. Didn't think so.

But heck, you get to smoke your dope, and not get fined/or go to jail. You don't care what happens to the family across the street. Yet, you claim to be liberal and want to look out for the world.

Where on Earth did you get that Roadking was a liberal? Oh, wait because in your mind someone who would advocate legalization of a plant, well then they must be liberal.

More lies and misinformation from the liberal majority out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Don't smoke it if you don't like it. But stop trying to control other people.
Right. It's really not a hard concept!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoButCounty View Post
Oh, Phil306, you are the funny one. This is probably one of the most clueless rants I've ever read. Your uninformed views are showing. Just keep parroting all that government propaganda that ensures your continued employment. You seriously believe that marijuana is worth the $18B spent annually and 850,000 arrests made every year? Once again, the rest of the country disagrees with you.

Americans Decry War on Drugs, Support Legalizing Marijuana | Angus Reid Public Opinion

Rasmussen Poll Finds More Than Half Of America Now Supports Legalizing Marijuana | Mediaite

Wish I could see the look on your face when amendment 64 gets approved by the voters this November and legalizes recreational use.

Here's a clue for you, the ONDCP is authorized & empowered by Congress to lie with regard to drugs. They're guidelines call for them to resist legalization or reform at any cost and in any way. So they lie, they create false "science" to justify their statements & positions. You continue to try to cite reports & articles from Drug War propagandist organizations that are only written to support the continuation of punitive policies by lying instead of using independent neutral sources. Oh, and BTW, I have an older brother who is a cop in a large Colorado city. He and most of the force he works with disagree with you as well.

Face it, you're doing nothing more than trying to protect your paycheck by ensuring a steady stream of arrests of peaceful, non-violent pot smokers. Sure is a lot less dangerous than chasing real criminals with guns & stuff, huh?
I have said this time, and again. Let's start going after the real violent criminals, and stop incarcerating, and messing with people who want to indulge themselves in a natural substance from time to time to relax and unwind! You're absolutely right, it is a revenue stream for LE! Gotta keep those prisons full!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
God also made poison ivy and poison oak. And the oleander bush.
Yep. Guess what happens if you touch the stuff? You break out into a nasty rash! If you burn it, and inhale the fumes, it can kill you! Marijuana, doesn't cause any of this! But you may be on to something with poison ivy, and poison oak. Let's propose banning and erradicating 2 truly foul, and dangerous plants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
If you chew the coca leaf you'll get a rush similar to caffeine. It has to be further altered to be turned into Cocaine or even worse, Crack-Cocaine.

At least do your research if your gonna post here.
Oh noes! We can't have real facts here now! It will set the anti-pot "Reefer Madness" crowd in a tizzy and have them scrambling to find more lies and propaganda!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
Cannabis can block out feelings like depression, anxiety, anger, pain. Are any of those considered good things?
It can be a very good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Oh noes..........what should we do with the folks that drink coffee openly in front of the children????
Guilty as charged! I guess you better lock me up and throw away the key. I mean, after all "it's for the children!"

Old 06-11-2012, 07:04 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,689,147 times
Quote:

These are typical stories of addiction. An addict will keep denying there is a problem, and will not quit unless first admits there is a problem. They will keep repeating "I don't have a problem", and "I can quit any time I want" etc, and that denial keeps them from seeking help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies