Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2012, 06:21 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Hating gays is wrong. I dont think its wrong to find some of them annoying (like the two sitting behind me and my g/f last night at cirque du soleil) and you should even be able to disagree with their way of life. But we shouldnt hate them. And I dont think most people hate them. But its hard not to find their way of life a bit disgusting and perverted. Especially when many want to shove it in your face. When many of them, rather than just acting like a normal person, seem to think they have to be flamboyant. Talk to me like a real person, not like someone who cant figure out what gender they are.
I can totally relate. I hate when heterosexuals make out in front of me (I know, can't see them but I can still hear them kissing and making their little moany noises) and go on about their boyfriends/girlfriends and how they're engaged now and getting married now and going to have a baby soon and talk about their S.O. all the time and their kids and wear a ring if they're married. But I would never think to hate heterosexuals, despite how often they shove their sexuality in my face. They didn't choose to be straight any more than I chose to be gay.

On another note, I don't know how many gay people you know, because I'm heavily involved in the LGBTQ community and most gay people are not flamboyant and pass as straight in the public sphere, until you find out they have a partner/are dating someone of the same sex. The stereotype of the overly flamboyant gay guy or super butch lesbian is based on a minority of gay people who do not represent the whole entire population. Most gay people are assumed to be straight by the casual bystander, because apart from dating the same sex, we really do live our lives the same way straight people do. Chances are you were only aware of someone being gay or trans when they were flamboyant or "hard to peg", but have probably met numerous gay, lesbian, bi, and trans people who you pegged as traditional heterosexual men and women, because they didn't match any of the stereotypes you have in your mind. How can you make an accurate assessment of the LGBTQ community when you don't even know every time you meet an LGBTQ person? I'm gay myself and I don't even always know that the person I'm talking to is LGBTQ. It's pretty common to have no idea the person you're talking to is LGBTQ if they don't bring up their personal life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 10:06 AM

83 posts, read 435,449 times
At this point, I'm tired of fighting. I've exhausted all arguments and accepted that some people will never accept the reality that the is nothing inherently abnormal about homosexuality. I don't care to persuade these people any longer--civil rights will come soon enough.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:07 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiana View Post
As a black lesbian, I neither chose my race or my sexual orientation. Why is it most sane Americans acknowledge the pathology of racisms' destructiveness but are then unwilling to acknowledge homophobia is no different?

Because people continue to think homosexuality os a chosen way of life, when it isn't.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:27 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,850,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I don't believe you understand what racism is. It seems quite clear that you have confused prejudice, bigotry and racism and hold them to be synonymous, when they are not.

Prejudice is an attitude adopted based on facts. It is not necessarily harmful, but can lead to embarrassing or awkward situations.

Bigotry is an attitude based on false beliefs.

You are most certainly a bigot, because you believe without any basis in fact, that people who refuse to embrace homosexuality are homophobic and you equate that with racism.

Racism is an attitude founded in hatred, and it often rises to a level of violence.

Racism is also strictly applies to race or ethnicity, and not sexual orientation, which is another grievous error that you have made.

Homosexuality is as abnormal as pedophilia, as paraphilia, as necrophilia, as kleptomania, as schizophrenia, or as someone who commits rape or as someone who commits crimes.

Those things are not normal.

Might I suggest that you are a pragmatophobe -- that you suffer from a fear of reality, and might I also suggest that you are aware of "racisms' destructiveness but are then unwilling to acknowledge pragmatophobia is no different?"

I am under no moral or ethical obligation to accept or condone that which is abnormal.

The fact that I or anyone else will not kow-tow or bow down to "homo-nazis" does not make me a racist or an "homophobe."

Additionally it is absurd to characterize someone who refuses to tolerate that which is abnormal as "intolerant." So, what, I'm intolerant because I refuse to tolerate someone who physically abuses their spouse or who sexually or physically abuses children? I don't have to accept or condone that either, because it, too, is abnormal.

And while I do not accept or condone homosexuality, I am not willing to treat it as a criminal matter, for the same reason I am not willing to treat schizophrenia as a criminal matter.

You're not going to build bridges or mend fences by attacking those who refuse to kiss your ass and validate your life-style.

Just some friendly advice...

Mircea
Lady, the thread was dead for four days. Why was it necessary to bring it back to life? Just couldn't pass up another chance to equate homosexuality with pedophiles and rapists, could you.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:14 PM

813 posts, read 2,032,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Hating gays is wrong. I dont think its wrong to find some of them annoying (like the two sitting behind me and my g/f last night at cirque du soleil) and you should even be able to disagree with their way of life. But we shouldnt hate them. And I dont think most people hate them. But its hard not to find their way of life a bit disgusting and perverted. Especially when many want to shove it in your face. When many of them, rather than just acting like a normal person, seem to think they have to be flamboyant. Talk to me like a real person, not like someone who cant figure out what gender they are.
Why are you so intimidated by effeminate gay men? What makes them anymore "flamboyant" than some redneck men who do silly things like jacking up their trucks and tacking fake balls on their trailer hitches to portray an idealized hyper-masculine image? What precisely is "disgusting and perverted" about encountering an effeminate gay man? Do they flash their penises at you?

FYI, no one is going to believe you don't "hate" people that are different from you when you are quick to call them "disgusting and perverted" simply because you're uncomfortable around them.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:25 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,520,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiana View Post
As a black lesbian, I neither chose my race or my sexual orientation. Why is it most sane Americans acknowledge the pathology of racisms' destructiveness but are then unwilling to acknowledge homophobia is no different?
"Why don't people recognize homophobia is as wrong as racism?"

One has absolutely nothing to do with the other. Racism is the belief that one's race is superior to another's. Homophobia has to do with fear of homosexuals. I don't believe my race is superior to your nor do I believe my sexuality is superior to yours but I do believe homosexuals have their wires crossed and it's an unnatural state of being. To try to mold social norms to your agenda, however, is wrong in my opinion.

I don't fear you but I am offended by the agenda and insistence that homosexuality is a normal, natural thing. It's not.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:23 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
"Why don't people recognize homophobia is as wrong as racism?"

One has absolutely nothing to do with the other. Racism is the belief that one's race is superior to another's. Homophobia has to do with fear of homosexuals. I don't believe my race is superior to your nor do I believe my sexuality is superior to yours but I do believe homosexuals have their wires crossed and it's an unnatural state of being. To try to mold social norms to your agenda, however, is wrong in my opinion.

I don't fear you but I am offended by the agenda and insistence that homosexuality is a normal, natural thing. It's not.
One can only suppose that the use of analogy is not in your literary repertoire.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:44 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,520,506 times
Oh please.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:46 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
^Child, please.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:52 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Because people continue to think homosexuality os a chosen way of life, when it isn't.
LOL - of course it is a chosen lifestyle - the myth that it isn't is only perpetuated so that the hate card can be brought out. After all - if something is an inborn trait - then how does one say that acting on that is wrong? Do you also believe that pedophilia is an inborn trait? If so - then why is Mr. Sandusky being prosecuted? He only did what was "natural" - to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies