Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 07:26 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,443,995 times

Advertisements

The inevitable answer will be a single payer system like the rest of the developed wolrd has been using successfully for quite awhile.

It's going to take place in the USA, too. It's only a matter of time. And all the weeping and hand-wringing will be for naught. And even the hardcore haters and phony "self-reliants" will realize that it's a good approach to health care and it should have been done much earlier.

Obamacare?

It's only a half-measure in the right direction. And like all half-measures, it won't do much to solve the problem. It will be quickly forgotten when it's replaced with a real system.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:44 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It can't be completely overturned. Some of it is already happening and nobody, NOBODY, will let that go. Trust that.

People don't even know what they want overturned. Saying "the whole thing" shows a complete lack of knowledge about any of it.
And saying it shouldn't be completely done away with shows a complete lack of knowledge of the Constitution.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:52 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
It can't be completely overturned. Some of it is already happening and nobody, NOBODY, will let that go. Trust that.

People don't even know what they want overturned. Saying "the whole thing" shows a complete lack of knowledge about any of it.
It will be overturned completely. Maybe in 20 years we will get a charasmatic leader that is willing to do it right but most likely it will be another failed attempt at doing it behind closed doors and again it will fail.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:05 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:

I agree with this. Some of it is already in effect, like the pre-existing condition part where people can now get coverage, or the cheaper plans for people who can't afford insurance in the private market themselves. Take it away and people will lose coverage and die, but I guess a lot of you don't care about any of that, only your money and deafeating the evil Obama.

On this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Remember, O-care is just another way to impose a TAX in the midst of a recession, not unlike FICA was a new tax in the midst of the Depression.
If the SC determines that the mandate is a tax then they cannot get rid of it as the SC has no control over the imposing of taxes in this country. That was the main argument in the court case for the supporters of the act. If it is indeed a tax, it will stand, if not, some or all may be struck down. I doubt all of it would be struck down, but if the mandate is and this is the main part that people don't like, then who is to say that a new tax won't be imposed to support that portion of the bill and just tax everyone's check like the FICA, SS, and Medicare taxes.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:52 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,847,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Rants are always dismissable.
And so are fear based decissions about the current health system in the USA formed by brain washing from the right.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:59 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,847,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
neither do I, I dont want any goverment or its beauracrats telling me what i can eat, drink or where to get my health care.
Govt funded health care systems do NOT have the Govt. telling you how to get health care or what treatments you should have....... your treatments are decided by the medical professionals and the Govt. funds the system.
Today in America the health decissions are made on ability to pay and by the CEO's of health insurance companies. The present system here is far more restrictive than a UHC and NO UHC around the World has ever made citizens bankrupt or the Country with the Govt. funded health care has not gone bankrupt either because of a UHC.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:00 PM

865 posts, read 1,489,437 times
I just LOVE how Obamacare was developed by individuals who understand and have experience/knowledge with healthcare (snicker). Maybe next time when they draft the real healthcare proposal they will actually get input from some of the nations greatest doctors. Not one physician I know supports this measure.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:07 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,193,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It will be overturned completely. Maybe in 20 years we will get a charasmatic leader that is willing to do it right but most likely it will be another failed attempt at doing it behind closed doors and again it will fail.
What will doing it right entail? There aren't a lot of alternatives you know. There's a reason why there wasn't 7 competing proposals.

You can't "do it right" if your political opponents are trying to sabotage whatever you do because they don't want you to be successful in passing any law. The bill could have been better if Republicans had bothered to participate. They chose to do everything in their power to stop it instead for purely political reasons.

Quote:
I just LOVE how Obamacare was developed by individuals who understand and have experience/knowledge with healthcare (snicker). Maybe next time when they draft the real healthcare proposal they will actually get input from some of the nations greatest doctors. Not one physician I know supports this measure.
It was developed by the Republicans in the 90's in consultation with industry and medical professionals. They didn't dream it up out of thin air.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:25 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
What will doing it right entail? There aren't a lot of alternatives you know. There's a reason why there wasn't 7 competing proposals.
There are only two ways we can do it. One would be by Constitutional Amendment. I do not see that ever happening. The only other way will be by doing it like Medicare. You are taxed and enrolled.

That's now going to be very difficult because of how poisoned the idea of national healthcare has become, IMO because of the attempts to do it in secret. I believe that Obama could have got this done if he had done it completely above board like he claimed he would. He didn't. We got crap.

Quote:
You can't "do it right" if your political opponents are trying to sabotage whatever you do because they don't want you to be successful in passing any law. The bill could have been better if Republicans had bothered to participate. They chose to do everything in their power to stop it instead for purely political reasons.
Obama said that they could come along but from the back of the bus. That's not the way to encourage the other side to work with you. No, he thought with control of the House and Senate that he could just do it all on his own. He was wrong.

Quote:
It was developed by the Republicans in the 90's in consultation with industry and medical professionals. They didn't dream it up out of thin air.
There were a very small number who had promoted this and it went nowhere.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:33 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,813,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I think theat "obamacare" is a step in the right direction but I also think it should be replaces by a Nationalization of the entire system from medical schools to drug companies and include all hospitals and services. "Obamacare" did not go far enough with the reformation of the collapsing american system to a Universal Health Care system paid for with a progressive income tax.
Sounds like a lot of new bureaucracy and less of actual care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies