Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 03:18 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times

Advertisements

This is the reason I always try to talk anyone out of joining the military. This is downright sad what is happening with our troops.

Military Suicide Rate Surges To Nearly One Per Day This Year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 03:21 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Sad indeed.
Our military is a perpetual welfare/warfare program.
I do the same, always advise against signing up, because there is nothing noble or heroic in killing innocent people or coming home in pieces all to forward the agenda of the fedguv.

the " protect freedoms" lie, needs to be squashed.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:52 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,098,094 times
The "protect freedoms" thing isn't a lie.

If we didn't have a standing army, countries from all over the world would invade to try to lay claim to our resources.

Be thankful we have armed forces who allow you to bad mouth them on an Internet message board.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:24 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,228,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Sad indeed.
Our military is a perpetual welfare/warfare program.
I do the same, always advise against signing up, because there is nothing noble or heroic in killing innocent people or coming home in pieces all to forward the agenda of the fedguv.

the " protect freedoms" lie, needs to be squashed.
Okay first of all, the military isn't a perpetual welfare/welfare program. Shame on you for even stating that ignorant viewpoint and that's awfully bigoted of you to do so.

Where are you pulling your information from when you say "there is nothing noble or heroic in killing innocent people or coming home in pieces all to forward the agenda of the fedguv"? What military are you referring to does this in the US? I know when I was in the US Navy (2007 - 2011, USS Arleigh Burke, DDG51, Norfolk, VA) I never once heard of this violent, gross misinterpretation you're claiming happens all the time.

Post links, stats, figures, evidence, etc that backs up your claim or else all you're doing is spouting a bigoted opinion. It's also VERY clear that you've never served, so how dare you even try to speak for the military in that manner.

The military DOES protect freedoms and you're exercising those freedoms to trash the same people that protect your right to slam them day in and day out. Some 'proud American' you are.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:39 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
This is downright sad what is happening with our troops.
This was on the cover of Time magazine a couple of weeks ago. It breaks your heart to read what these young men had to endure before they took their lives. Our society in general has a lot of trouble accepting people who suffer from clinical depression.
Why Can't The Army Win The War On Suicide? - TIME

Old 07-27-2012, 11:42 AM

2,548 posts, read 2,163,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post

If we didn't have a standing army, countries from all over the world would invade to try to lay claim to our resources.

Be thankful we have armed forces who allow you to bad mouth them on an Internet message board.
Ironically, if the military was in charge , we wouldn't have that right.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
We have been "at war" with one country or another for over 10 years.
As we leave one country, we have our teeth in the next, ready to pounce.

And for what ? A shadow army, a group of rogue extremists.
And only US intervention will save the day, not that country and their own people.
Send our military to countries where they are not even liked or appreciated but viewed as the enemy.

I'm surprised the numbers aren't higher.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:58 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post

If we simply had a "standing army" that'd be the case. We haven't defended an invasion since WW2.

Border patrol would be much cheaper if our military was assigned to it.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:14 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,521 times
I have nothing else to say other than the American people are the ones to blame for not demanding accountability from the government. Yes they joined willingly... As I did and many of my friends did... But our apathy among other things is to blame.

It pisses me off when I see people parading those yellow ribbons around as if it were the latest accessory. I want to ask them "how the F do you support the Troops? Do you do anything for them? What do you do to support them? Do you even give a sh*t if they come home in a casket? Or mentally and physically wounded?"

You support the Troops by standin up to this corrupt government and telling them you are not going to send more women and men to die for NOTHING overseas. You support them by demanding accountability from the folks in Washington.

Go to a nursing home, a homeless shelter and I guarantee you that you will find a Veteran. Thank them, listen to them, be friends with them... Until them don't f*cking tell me you support the Troops.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:15 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,224,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
I have nothing else to say other than the American people are the ones to blame for not demanding accountability from the government. Yes they joined willingly... As I did and many of my friends did... But our apathy among other things is to blame.

It pisses me off when I see people parading those yellow ribbons around as if it were the latest accessory. I want to ask them "how the F do you support the Troops? Do you do anything for them? What do you do to support them? Do you even give a sh*t if they come home in a casket? Or mentally and physically wounded?"

You support the Troops by standin up to this corrupt government and telling them you are not going to send more women and men to die for NOTHING overseas. You support them by demanding accountability from the folks in Washington.

Go to a nursing home, a homeless shelter and I guarantee you that you will find a Veteran. Thank them, listen to them, be friends with them... Until them don't f*cking tell me you support the Troops.
I don't usually agree with many of your posts, but this time I have to say that you're 110% correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies