Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 02:22 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,793,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Except for the fact that you still haven't solved the issue that many kids won't do their school work in favor of watching TV or playing video games unless they have supervision.

Being old enough to stay home alone doesn't equal being mature enough to make the right decisions.
They do that going to school now! If they don't do their home work they fail!

And I addressed this already. Students are not doing homework while being taught. They are listening, taking notes, reading out load, whatever. They do homework after school when the teacher isn't there to watch them anyway. They will not be able to watch tv because the teacher will be able to see them on the camera. They will not be able to leave the camera sight unless the teacher gives them permission to go to the bathroom or whatever.

There's ways not to pay attention in an actual class. The point is if you don't pay attention in either format you don't pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 02:33 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post

And I addressed this already. Students are not doing homework while being taught. They are listening, taking notes, reading out load, whatever. They do homework after school when the teacher isn't there to watch them anyway. They will not be able to watch tv because the teacher will be able to see them on the camera. They will not be able to leave the camera sight unless the teacher gives them permission to go to the bathroom or whatever.

There's ways not to pay attention in an actual class. The point is if you don't pay attention in either format you don't pass.
So the teacher will be watching 30 or more kids on camera? That's going to work.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:40 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:

And when these teenagers (I'm assuming you agree that any kid under age 13 is too young to be home alone) disappear off screen to raid their parent's liquor cabinet or take the car on a joy ride, what exactly is the online teacher going to do? Nothing that's what.

In addition, what about HS sports, bands and clubs? Pretty sure those can't be done online.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:15 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
And when these teenagers (I'm assuming you agree that any kid under age 13 is too young to be home alone) disappear off screen to raid their parent's liquor cabinet or take the car on a joy ride, what exactly is the online teacher going to do? Nothing that's what.

In addition, what about HS sports, bands and clubs? Pretty sure those can't be done online.
Sure it can. Just fire up Madden '12 and Guitar Hero. See problem solved. LOL

Old 06-15-2012, 03:43 PM

45,397 posts, read 60,592,880 times
All online advocates take the following and get back to me:

MGCCC - Elearning - Self Assessment

As a note, only about 2% of high school students rate as "suitable for on-line instruction".

Old 06-15-2012, 04:10 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times
Quote:
Well, it has been fairly well thought out. Just because I haven't initially addressed your objections, doesn't mean it hasn't been thought out. I like to think I am a pretty thorough thinker...thanks to my teachers.

With that, let me address your concerns. With the amount we'd been saving from no longer constructing schools, eliminating paper school materials and costs in busing, we can find something for the bus drivers to do. It wont matter because we'd be saving billions.

As far as physical education, that would be the only class that would require a facility for but it would be much smaller than a whole school (so less money to build) and children would still go to them for their physical exercise on odd days or whenever it is they go to gym now. So if you want to keep busing for that, fine, but the point is transportation costs would go way down because they wouldn't be everyday. (In addition, if there is anything physical school related that needs to get to a teacher or student, the former bus drivers can be utilized to deliver them.) Plus, many parents could choose private paid or free community sponsored activity groups.
Again, have you ever taken an online class??

And, have you ever taught in a public/private/charter school classroom?

Old 06-15-2012, 04:25 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I think some schoolig could be done on line but not all. there is nop way to judge what must be seen i perosn or hands on. No matter wehat tho I think grading must be in person by person takling test.Pss ot fail by results.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Sitting is sitting. They can either sit in front of a computer screen and save us billions in tax money or they can sit at a desk for the same amount of time and cost us billions in tax money.

Take your pick.
Simple minds, simple solutions....

There are so many reasons why online schooling for ALL students would not work. A few...

1. Have you ever been in a classroom? Students do not just "sit." They move around, they get help from each other and from their teacher, they work in groups - a good classroom (and most are) is a constantly changing thing.
2. Most students do not have the self-motivation and/or maturity necessary to be successful with online education.
3. Humans, by nature, are social animals. Isolating children for 7 hrs 20 min a day is not a mentally healthy thing to do.
4. Who pays for the myriad technical devices/services that would be necessary to keep your plan going.
5. Who supervises all of these kids who are sitting at home in front of computer screens?
6. How do you prevent massive cheating on the part of all those just "sitting" students?
7. How does a teacher maintain control over students who can simply turn him/her off.

Really, #2 says it all.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
You could postulate similar questions and issues with physical schools: Who fixes and cleans the building when things break or get messy? Who pays for school clothes? What do we do if a kid intentionally loses their book? Those aren't serious problems. Those are objections for objection's sake.

If a kid thrashes their computer, they or their parent pays for it and once they've shelled out the money for a new computer I bet they won't ever let that happen again.
What about all those parents who just don't give a sh*t? How do their kids get educated? Schools serve many purposes in this country - for many children it is the only safe haven they have in their lives.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:42 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Well I think shank is right. He's come up with something we all seem to agree on and that is online schooling from home is a bad idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies