Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 09:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

The point is to eradicate polio world-wide. Afghanistan, Nigeria and Pakistan are the only countries with endemic polio. If we could totally eradicate it, that would be a great thing. That's why refusing to vaccinate is such a threat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 09:32 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Why is the US taxpayer forced to support this? Pakistan should be paying for the care of their own children...

If they want it stopped, then by all means stop it immediately! That's like a prisoner going on a hunger strike - it only hurts them. I'l like to see our money spent elsewhere, like here at home. Maybe buy a few more F-35s.

Reminds me of "Blazing Saddles" where Cleavon Little takes himself hostage at gunpoint...
I guess you are unaware the US conducted a fake and incomplete vaccination program in Pakistan using live kids, to get information on Bin laden?

Why would any Taliban leader want US funded vaccination programs in their country? It IS most likely are means for the US to gain information on attacking them.

http://www.salon.com/2012/05/26/the_imperial_mind/

Old 06-18-2012, 09:40 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,448,812 times
This is a shame. With a huge final push now polio could be eradicated in a year or two.

And the polio vaccination has received a great deal of private sector funding -- Bill Gates in particular has been active. I don't think some public sector funding is inappropriate when we are so close to wiping a disease off the face of the planet forever. I do tend to agree the US spends too much on foreign aid but this is one of the best ways we can spend money on foreign aid.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:38 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,635,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Reminds me of "Blazing Saddles" where Cleavon Little takes himself hostage at gunpoint...
This Taliban individual just got moved to the top of the strike list now.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:20 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
link?
Sorry, meant to include this:

Taliban bans Pakistan polio vaccinations over drone strikes - World News

Quote:
Originally Posted by to570717 View Post
The OP has not the slightest clue on how things in either Pakistan or the Pashtun regions of the Country are operated so this post is nothing more than garbage.

That being said, humanitarian aid should be provided from a strictly altruistic perspective in these regions much like the rest of the world.....We should however cut our Military budget
If you're feeling altruistic, please by all means return there and fund whatever makes you feel good using your own money. I just object to my tax dollars being spent to sustain the lives of those who hate us and actively seek to harm us. I didn't bring those children into the world and feel no need or obligation to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I guess you are unaware the US conducted a fake and incomplete vaccination program in Pakistan using live kids, to get information on Bin laden?

Why would any Taliban leader want US funded vaccination programs in their country? It IS most likely are means for the US to gain information on attacking them.

The Imperial Mind - Glenn Greenwald - Salon.com
And now we can stop. And I'll ask why would the US want to fund vaccination programs in the land of our enemy?

Old 06-19-2012, 06:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
^^Polio is just an airplane ride away as long as it is endemic in Pakistan. There is a compelling US interest in eradicating the disease. Plus, these litte kids don't hate us. In fact, they may like us if we help them.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:45 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by to570717 View Post
The OP has not the slightest clue on how things in either Pakistan or the Pashtun regions of the Country are operated so this post is nothing more than garbage.

That being said, humanitarian aid should be provided from a strictly altruistic perspective in these regions much like the rest of the world.....We should however cut our Military budget
Aid the Taliban? Doesn't take much to understand we provide aid for co-oparatio if that what the Bin Laden iisue was co-operation or the jailing of the perosn who provided us the inforation by Pakistan. Its like dealing with the devil ;really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies