Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 10:40 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
So people that watch Fox News would consider Volkischer Beobachter (the official newpaper of the Nazi party) and Der Sturmer (a mainly anti-Semitic tabloid) to be liberal rags? Is the implication that the average Fox News watcher holds political views even more extremely right wing than your average Nazi? I don't get it.

]
Hang around this board for awhile. You'll get it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 11:16 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post

What many people don't understand about Agnew is that he was a creation of this biased media. The media reports of him standing up to the stunned black folks after the assassination of Dr. King in 1968 (He demanded, somewhat misleadingly, that they disown the statements of black militants, as if that had something to do with the price of fish) so impressed Nixon that Tricky Dick chose to add Spiro to the ticket. This is a true and verified story of what happened.
I think I would like to read more on this as it was before I was politically active so have little knowledge of it. I often wondered how Sprio ended up with Nixon... very interesting

Old 09-27-2007, 11:20 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times
I was politically active and don't recall this take on Agnew. I'd like to see some old stuff on him, and I did listen to part of the audio, but frankly that period in our history was so repugnant to me I literally left the country for quite a few years, and watched the Watergate Hearings from across the pond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I think I would like to read more on this as it was before I was politically active so have little knowledge of it. I often wondered how Sprio ended up with Nixon... very interesting

Old 09-27-2007, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I was politically active and don't recall this take on Agnew. I'd like to see some old stuff on him, and I did listen to part of the audio, but frankly that period in our history was so repugnant to me I literally left the country for quite a few years, and watched the Watergate Hearings from across the pond.
Well I happen to find this period in our history to be not only repugnant and regressive but down right sad. Still need to give the day a last hoorah before retiring to wax philosophically under Thoreau's tree.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:00 PM

And does this also mean--in some way--that we are of widely different generations? Or you just weren't political when I was already nearly a grown-up.

Quote:
Well I happen to find this period in our history to be not only repugnant and regressive but down right sad. Still need to give the day a last hoorah before retiring to wax philosophically under Thoreau's tree.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:20 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,187,726 times
Default 1968 Media created Agnew

From the US Senate website:

"Then in April, when riots broke out in Baltimore following the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Governor Agnew summoned black leaders to his office. Rather than appeal for their help, he castigated them for capitulating to radical agitators. "You were intimidated by veiled threats," Agnew charged, "you were stung by . . . epithets like `Uncle Tom.'" Half of the black leaders walked out before he finished speaking. "He talked to us like we were children," one state senator complained. The incident dramatically reversed Agnew's public image, alienating his liberal supporters and raising his standing among conservatives.

Spiro Who?

... When polls showed none of the better-known Republicans adding much as Nixon's running mate, Nixon surprised everyone—as he liked to do—by selecting the relatively unknown Agnew. "Spiro who?" asked the pundits, who considered Agnew unqualified for national office. Despite such doubts, Nixon saw much promise in his choice. "There can be a mystique about the man," Nixon assured reporters. "You can look him in the eyes and know he's got it."

Nixon expected Agnew to appeal to white southerners and others troubled by the civil rights movement and recent rioting in the cities. Attention shifted from this issue during the campaign, however, when Agnew made a number of gaffes, including some ethnic slurs and an accusation that Vice President Hubert Humphrey, the Democratic candidate, was soft on communism."

Old 09-27-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
And does this also mean--in some way--that we are of widely different generations? Or you just weren't political when I was already nearly a grown-up.
probably both.

Political activism takes a toll upon a person after a while and leads to premature grey over the ear. From a boots on the ground perspective, it is the realm of youthful exuberance and energy, and I am becoming more foot on the ottoman as the suns cycles march on. While I will likely always be involved, it is more time to sit on the big stump at the campfire and explain the ghost story of the one legged dictator to the children. (chuckling)

Old 09-27-2007, 12:26 PM

Chuckling (back) at ya!

And, I have spurts of political "exuberance" - as evidenced by my lack of and re-connection to this very forum.

Quote:
probably both.

Political activism takes a toll upon a person after a while and leads to premature grey over the ear. From a boots on the ground perspective, it is the realm of youthful exuberance and energy, and I am becoming more foot on the ottoman as the suns cycles march on. While I will likely always be involved, it is more time to sit on the big stump at the campfire and explain the ghost story of the one legged dictator to the children. (chuckling)

Old 09-27-2007, 12:27 PM

2,935 posts, read 5,000,340 times
"Nixon expected Agnew to appeal to white southerners and others troubled by the civil rights movement and recent rioting in the cities. Attention shifted from this issue during the campaign, however, when Agnew made a number of gaffes, including some ethnic slurs and an accusation that Vice President Hubert Humphrey, the Democratic candidate, was soft on communism."

And now it's terrorism... after that fervor putters out we'll need to find another boogeyman to keep the defense industry churning and the population under control... maybe in the 2050's the conservative candidate for president'll excoriate his opponent for being "soft on anarchists" and then we can have a couple more defendants' rights stripped away.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:31 PM

Oh, dear, and I suppose the master plan won inasmuch HH didn't, and I do believe I voted for him although then I was an Elephant!

And there seems always to be a boogeyman for every generation. I went through a few: communism being a big enervator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
"Nixon expected Agnew to appeal to white southerners and others troubled by the civil rights movement and recent rioting in the cities. Attention shifted from this issue during the campaign, however, when Agnew made a number of gaffes, including some ethnic slurs and an accusation that Vice President Hubert Humphrey, the Democratic candidate, was soft on communism."

And now it's terrorism... after that fervor putters out we'll need to find another boogeyman to keep the defense industry churning and the population under control... maybe in the 2050's the conservative candidate for president'll excoriate his opponent for being "soft on anarchists" and then we can have a couple more defendants' rights stripped away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies