Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 07:42 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times

Advertisements

When my family lived in St.Louis in the miid-'50s, E.St.Louis was a dangerous ghetto. It was a place to avoid...and apparently still is.

Very sad for the good folks who live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 11:02 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Jobs would be the only way to save it. Jobs and welfare cuts.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:57 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
How to fix East St. Louis:

Raze every building and haul the waste away. Hand the long term unemployed shovels to dig a canal, and, make the land formerly known as E. St. Louis a wildlife preserve and estuary along the Mississippi River. Same thing should have happened a little further down river to the town of Cairo, IL last summer too.

Stop destroying affordable housing. You gonna replace what you razed? Didn't think so.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:41 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,039,197 times
Until they passed, I used to visit grandparents in ESL. For my entire memory ESL has been a less than desirable place. For reference, the first time I visited ESL Nixon was President.
The point is, yes, it is a tragedy, but not one that just happened. ESL is just one of those places that other places are compared to. See Gary Indiana. See Detroit Michigan. Places such as ESL cannot likely be fixed. But that is OK, as one only needs to travel a few miles to find some really nice areas.
The people in Gary and Detroit need ESL so they can say "at least we are not as bad as ESL".
I see no need to fix ESL. For at least half a century it has set the benchmark for the entire Midwest. Too much effort and money would be required to simply elevate ESL to the second worse place in the Midwest.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:04 AM

276 posts, read 236,244 times
Fun fact: the night scenes in Escape from New York were filmed in East St. Louis.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:58 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Hard to build a vibrant city when 3/4 of the people make less than 7500 a year. Simply pathetic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
East Saint Louis, IL is considered one of the most dangerous places in the USA. Population right now is about 30000.

In 2010, there were 21 murders, pretty high for a town of 30000. I drove through this town when I was in St Louis last time and it is very bad. There are intersections where the traffic lights do not work, most of the roads in ESTL are in very bad condition, the average price of a home in ESTL is $40000.

Population is 98% Black and the other 2% are White, Hispanic and Asian.In your opinion, is there a way to fix a town in this condition? If so, what would it take to fix a town like this?

East of anywhere," writes a reporter for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, "often evokes the other side of the tracks. But, for a first-time visitor suddenly deposited on its eerily empty streets, East St. Louis might suggest another world." The city, which is 98 percent black, has no obstetric services, no regular trash collection, and few jobs. Nearly a third of its families live on less than $7,500 a year; 75 percent of its population lives on welfare of some form. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development describes it as "the most distressed small city in America."

Old 06-22-2012, 05:08 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Maybe an America tragedy, but a leftie utopia.

Ignorant, desperate people will vote for the party promising free stuff all day long!

Multiply this be hundreds of leftie run cities across America.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:14 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Absolutely no outside force can help these people.

The residents need to fix the problem themselves.
WHEN we learn to apply THAT standard to places like Vietnam, Iraq, Iran, Egypt, Israel, Syria, etc., etc., etc., etc and then take care of ourselves and our own, America will be a better place.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:29 AM

23,976 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
WHEN we learn to apply THAT standard to places like Vietnam, Iraq, Iran, Egypt, Israel, Syria, etc., etc., etc., etc and then take care of ourselves and our own, America will be a better place.
I hear that.

This same thing could have been written in 1967. DH worked in St. Louis. If he needed to go to East St. Louis, the company sent him in a cab. They were instructed to never drive there.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:50 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Hard to build a vibrant city when 3/4 of the people make less than 7500 a year. Simply pathetic.
Small correction:

75% on some sort of welfare, nearly 33% make less than $7500/yr.

I stay downtown St Louis every week and drive on I-64 through/past East STL every day I'm there. It's a sad, hopeless place. I'm not sure it can be fixed, honestly. Jobs would be a good start, but who's going to open an office or small business there when there are MUCH more hospitable locations within a 10-15 min drive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies