Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 08:02 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times

Advertisements

Now in Europe workers get 4-6 weeks paid vacation.
The European court ruled if you get sick while on this paid vacation then you're entitled to another paid vacation.

The suit was brought forward by workers in Spain and the outcome effects 27 countries.

Those European workers really have it made in the shade even though their countries are financially falling apart. They are still living in denial.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/22/wo...ions.html?_r=2
For most Europeans, almost nothing is more prized than their four to six weeks of guaranteed annual vacation leave. But it was not clear just how sacrosanct that time off was until Thursday, when Europe’s highest court ruled that workers who happened to get sick on vacation were legally entitled to take another vacation.
With much of Europe mired in recession, governments struggling to reduce budget deficits and officials trying to combat high unemployment, the ruling is a reminder of just how hard it is to shake up long-established and legally protected labor practices that make it hard to put more people to work and revive sinking economies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 08:11 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
That was already the case when I worked in Switzerland some 14 years ago.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
That was already the case when I worked in Switzerland some 14 years ago.
But given today's situation in those countries, do you think this is wise ?
These are the same countries getting loans from the IMF because they are short money.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:27 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
They will make it work because the still keep their industry at home instead of flooding their markets with cheap crap made by off shored European Industry.

You guys are so enamored of working for the man you would probably not take a 4 week vacation if it was offered. You are frightened that they might realize they do not need you.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
They will make it work because the still keep their industry at home instead of flooding their markets with cheap crap made by off shored European Industry.

You guys are so enamored of working for the man you would probably not take a 4 week vacation if it was offered. You are frightened that they might realize they do not need you.
So with Spain in the situation they are in financially how would they pay for this ? Tax their people ?

Old 06-22-2012, 08:48 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So with Spain in the situation they are in financially how would they pay for this ? Tax their people ?
Does it matter? It's what they want. They'll figure out a way to pay for it i guess.

Why do Americans think it's their God given duty to work themselves to death?

So you can put "I WORKED HARD" on your tombstone? SMH

Old 06-22-2012, 08:49 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But given today's situation in those countries, do you think this is wise ?
These are the same countries getting loans from the IMF because they are short money.
Non e of my business as to whether it is 'wise' or not. That is up to them.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:55 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Non e of my business as to whether it is 'wise' or not. That is up to them.
No. WE Americans know what's better for them than they do.

And the verdict is that they need to WORK, WORK, WORK!!! Why? Because we're getting worked to death, and it's not fair if the rest of the world doesn't do the same.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:05 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,003,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No. WE Americans know what's better for them than they do.

And the verdict is that they need to WORK, WORK, WORK!!! Why? Because we're getting worked to death, and it's not fair if the rest of the world doesn't do the same.
Hear, hear!

Europeans define Quality of Life somewhat differently than Americans. Here in the US, we think Quality of Life consists of consumptions - and little else. That's why we work, work, work. We work so much that our kids barely get to see their parents. To make up for our guilt, we shower them with more stuff and end up wondering on thread after thread how our youth is so screwed up.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:08 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Does it matter? It's what they want. They'll figure out a way to pay for it i guess.

Why do Americans think it's their God given duty to work themselves to death?

So you can put "I WORKED HARD" on your tombstone? SMH
I agree. I think after years and years of political turmoil and war, many european countries have added incentives for their people, keep them happy, government officials in keeping their heads on their shoulders, as in France and to halt the flight if its people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies