Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2012, 10:01 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times

Advertisements

It is a grevious insult for the Op to come on and bemoan the fact that the pure white race will be blended into the overall human race within 200 years. It is an insult to black men, red men, and yellow men. It is as if the white man is the planetary treasure and the rest of us are just bit players. What a horrible future awaits the white man to have the blood of black, yellow and red flowing in his veins. Never to be pure white again.

It was just about a week ago that I was participating in a thread here on C-D concerning the American Indian and reservation life. The consensus among whites was that we who are left from the whiteman's era of manifest destiny should abandon our reservations and culture and assimilate ourselves into the white race. So from the standpoint of the whites, thier race is sacred and would be a crime to blend it with other races while ours is not and it's best for everyone concerned if the redman ceased to exist as a seperate race. How easy the solution for the redman rolled off the tongues of the white man's keyboard, yet how tragic it would be if the same solution were to happen to the white race.
Don't any of you see the cultural arrogance of this line of reasoning?

Last edited by mohawkx; 06-23-2012 at 10:09 PM..

Old 06-23-2012, 10:04 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
That's ridiculous justification and nothing but excuse making for problems in your own damn house. Yet when blacks look at the issues of blacks and say "enough with the excuses" other blacks shoot them down. Look at the reaction Bill Cosby got a few years ago when he said enough is enough.
I don't know any black person, personally, who had a problem with what Cosby said. When will you folks stop dragging out these tired lines? If you want to blind yourself to the issues that are still affecting blacks today, that's your problem; doesn't mean they don't exist.

If I could wish one thing, it would be for folks like you to magically be black for a year. Unless you are black, you don't get it, so it's best to not speak of things you know nothing about.

Quote:
Will people trot this canard out in a hundred years if the black community is still plagued by the same issues?
Who knows? But so far, we've only had 50 years to "undo" 300+ years of degradation. Please forgive us if we aren't all caught up yet.

Quote:
Whitey isn't making black males wear their pants around their arse. Whitey isn't making blacks father children then leave them. It's not whitey that's responsible for blacks falling behind in damn near every educational marker. Whitey isn't making inner city kids shoot other kids over sneakers and it's not whitey making smart black kids feel like sell outs if they don't speak ebonics and actually want to do good in class.
What's wrong with sagging pants? While I don't agree with the style, what's inherently wrong with sagging pants? Do you have a problem with Bieber wearing his pants the same way?

re: black fathers. I beg to differ. But that's a history lesson you problem don't want to hear.
re: education. See my black father comment.
re: inner city shootings. See my black father comment.
re: ebonics/sell-outs. Has nothing to do with being a "sell-out". More a matter of being a nerd/dweeb than being a sell-out. And nerds and dweebs of all races are mocked.

Quote:
Waiting for the cries of racist I know are coming, and you know what: I don't care, Chicken Littles, you keep saying the sky is falling and it loses any and all meaning. Sorry if the truth makes people squirm and the only way for them to feel better is to call the messenger names.

And don't any of you dare pipe up with that Stormfront crap. I'll report that as a personal attack if you do. This is the first time I have ever stepped into a race thread on CD and likely the last but hearing the same old tired crap time and time again gets old, especially from the same damn people.
You are hella defensive. Almost to the point of irrationality. Please calm down.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:06 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,411,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Ok the father is still Sami.
The mother's father is still Turkish, but now the mother is French. White?

Father is Sami
Mother's mother and father are French. Grandfather was French and her grandmother was Turkish. White?

Father is Sami
Mother's grandparents are all french and one great-grandmother was Turkish. White?

Father is Sami.
Mother's great-grandparents are all French and one great-great grandmother was Turksih. White?
Yeah, I guess you can call them all white. The dictionary definition mentioned an old-school definition of having no "black blood", but I think you can still be considered white even if you're just mostly European. If you are primarily of European descent, you should be able to consider yourself white. It's not 1870 anymore.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:07 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
It is a grevious insult for the Op to come on and bemoan the fact that the pure white race will be blended into the overall human race within 200 years. It is an insult to black men, red men, and yellow men. It is as if the white man is the planetary treasure and the rest of us are just bit players. What a horrible future awaits the white man to have the blood of black, yellow and red flowing in his veins. Never to be pure white again.

It was just about a week ago that I was participating in a thread here on C-D concerning the American Indian and reservation life. The consensus among whites was that we who are left from the whiteman's era of manifest destiny should abandon our reservations and culture and assimilate ourselves into the white race. So from the standpoint of the whites, thier culture is sacred and would be a crime to blend it with other cultures while ours is not and it's best for everyone concerned if the redman ceased to exist as a seperate race. how easy the solution for the redman rolled off the tongues of the white man's keyboard, yet how tragic it would be if the same solution were to happen to the white race.

Don't any of you see how arrogant and self serving this attitude is? I have come to believe that when God cursed man with original sin it was the white man.
Take out your last sentence and you make a good point.

I lived and worked with (and for) the Diné for six months in Chinle, live and work among the Inupiat, have lived and worked with the Yupik, and love and respect all their cultures. I've seen attitudes of cultural superioty amongst all of them. I'd hate to see the loss of the Diné language and culture, the loss of Inupiat language and culture, the loss of anyone's culture really.

4,520 posts, read 4,209,259 times
Quote:
No one, other then me, has said anything about reparations. That in and of itself, is irrelevant but the point stands and ties into the greater discussion.

And no, I don't live in England, I live in Alaska.
It's not irrelevant. You are leaning towards the talking point of blacks wanting "revenge" or a payout for the wrongs committed against them.

Unless, and until, you live in England you really can't speak about how it feels to live in a country where your ancestors were oppressed.

1,796 posts, read 1,661,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedtodave View Post
Uh uh, well thanks for being the only one on here to actually post what you want.

How am I being defensive? I'll openly say that some white people in the past were diabolical. I've said that multiple times on this thread. Now, am I supposed to just let people rant and imply things like there is something inherently diabolical about white people?
I really don't think anyone is truly saying that, except maybe as a slight rhetorical flourish--they are talking about history and the consequences of the ideology of white supremacy which was developed to justify the violent exploitation of much of the planet over the past six centuries or so. I'm not personally responsible for it as a white person, but I do think as a human being I'm responsible for trying to understand its effects and for not getting all huffy whenever someone (brown, black, white, or whatever) tries to point that history out. Like I said in an earlier post, this issue is complicated, and there are more than two possible positions to take. All too often on CD, posters seem to want to reduce every issue to you either love it or hate it, you are for it or against it, if you believe X then you must believe Y, when none of those is actually the case. (And I'm not saying you do this--I'm not familiar enough with your posts to know). In any case, I just poke in here once in a while to learn what people think and post who are different from my friends and me.

2,699 posts, read 2,411,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Ummm ... does this mean there are no "white" people in Canada? Or Costa Rica? Or Argentina? Or Israel? Or Greece?
Sorry, forgot to mention Canada. But yeah, there's whites in all those countries too. Although I'm not sure if Jews should be considered white or not.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:08 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
No, tribal wars suggest that there was a moral reasoning behind their actions. It wasn't killing for the sake of killing. It was done out of a (misguided) sense of honor and/or moral reckoning...not just we want to enslave your people to grow crops to get rich.

Takes an evil mofo to try to find a way around being a deadbeat dad to the slave you raped (you know that whole "child follows the mother" thing). What type of evil degenerate enslaves their own child?

Quote:
For Africans destined to be slaves in the New World, a long march lasting several months was not uncommon. This 19th century engraving by an unknown artist shows captives being driven by black slave traders.

European slave traders in Africa did not seize land from natives and colonize the coast, as they did in their New World settlements. Instead, they established a special relationship with local chieftains, who allowed them to maintain trading forts along the coast. Local Africans, rather than the Europeans themselves, acquired and supplied slaves to the white traders.

Africans in America/Part 1/African Captives Yoked in Pairs
Quote:
Like all traders at the time, Owen did not capture slaves himself; rather, it was Africans who acquired slaves and traded the captives for various European goods. Sometimes the captives would be prisoners of war. Other times, groups would venture deep into Africa's interior for the sole purpose of capturing slaves.

Passages from the journal reveal that Owen had little respect for the Africans he dealt with. "It seems strange that here in the country you'll find men of ready wit in all things relating to common busness, yet if they are question'd conserning a future state, they give up all pretentions to humanity and wander in absurdities as black as their faces. They laugh at one anothers misfortunes and don't seem to repine their own, given to drunkiness and quarreling, being very cowardly and great boasters, miserably poor in general and live low as to victuals [food supplies], soon provoked to anger and soon made up again if the offender makes an acknowledgement of his crime . . . ."
Africans in America/Part 1/Nicolas Owen

Quote:
The youngest son of a village leader, Equiano was born among the Ibo people in the kingdom of Benin, along the Niger River. He was "the greatest favourite with [his] mother." His family expected to follow in his father's footsteps and become a chief, an elder, a judge. Slavery was an intregal part of the Ibo culture, as it was with many other African peoples. His family owned slaves, but there was also a continual threat of being abducted, of becoming someone else's slave. This is what happened, one day, while Equiano and his sister were at home alone.

Two men and a woman captured the children. Several days later Equiano and his sister were separated. Equiano continued to travel farther and farther from home, day after day, month after month, exchanging masters along the way. Equiano's early experiences as a slave were not all disagreeable; some families treated Equiano almost as a part of the family. The kind treatment, however, was about to end.

About six or seven months after being abducted, Equiano was brought to the coast, where he first encountered a slave ship and white men.
Africans in America/Part 1/Olaudah Equiano

Quote:
Servants were in these contracts. They seem to have been treated dreadfully, and in some ways maybe even worse than some of the blacks, because as their contracts ran out, [they were] almost -- I don't want to be vulgar -- but treated like cars that you might rent, and you know that you you're going to run out on the contract. In any case, the experience of these whites was terrible.

My point is that in the early years of Virginia, these kinds of statuses were unclear, even to the people that were alive then. There was a range of possibilities. And you would certainly not assume that just simply because a man or woman was an African American, that he or she was a slave.
Africans in America/Part 1/Peter Wood on the difference between being a slave and a servant

Old 06-23-2012, 10:10 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,916,828 times
Quote:
You are being unnecessarily defensive. Are you a sufferer of white guilt? When I make a statement why do you jump to the conclusion that I believe it *only* applies to white people?
Of course I get defensive, everyone on CD gets defensive when people make sweeping racial generalizations. I jumped to that conclusion because of your choice of words. Technically you didn't say "only" white men are perverse, but try this statement on for size:
"Black men are violent"
Did that sentence say that only black men are violent? No. But I'm guessing it would rub you the wrong way if you saw someone post it on C-D-and rightfully so.
By the way, are you a sufferer of black guilt?

Quote:
Sadly, yes, it's human nature to be evil and commit wrong acts. That does nothing to change the fact that *I believe* some have been the perpetrators of "wrong" more and to a higher level than others.
Then we're never going to find a common ground. If you believe that, then you must take no umbrage with people who say that black people in America today perpetrate "wrong" more and to a higher level than others.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:10 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Take out your last sentence and you make a good point.

I lived and worked with (and for) the Diné for six months in Chinle, live and work among the Inupiat, have lived and worked with the Yupik, and love and respect all their cultures. I've seen attitudes of cultural superioty amongst all of them. I'd hate to see the loss of the Diné language and culture, the loss of Inupiat language and culture, the loss of anyone's culture really.
I did take out the last line and reworded it. It was spoken out of anger and not true belief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies