Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 09:33 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times

Advertisements

Oh, but I also dislike those silly family stickers... never questioned the psyche of anyone with them, but they do make me roll my eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Back in the early 70s I caused a number of people all over the mid-west to go into paroxysms of laughter with my bumper sticker. My personalized tag read BALDY and right next to it the bumper sticker read Bald is Beautiful. When people saw my head some of them nearly came out of their cars.
LOL... so, are you actually bald or was it ironic?

I've only had one other political sticker on my car, back when the Gore/Bush election had just concluded. It read "They told me this would happen if I voted for Nader," and always got me some laughs!

Old 06-23-2012, 09:37 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Oh, but I also dislike those silly family stickers... never questioned the psyche of anyone with them, but they do make me roll my eyes.
I don't see any family stickers. What is that about? post one ...

Old 06-23-2012, 09:38 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Wow. I am surprised to see those who come into a political forum who do not express themselves politically. Maybe some areas it is better to leave it off.

I do. I don't put bumper stickers on my vehicles other than political. When Ross Perot ran , I made up a sign and put it on my lawn.

I also support the democrats and republicans locally, depending on who they are and what they stand for.. The mayor of my town was democrat and I supported him with a sign on my lawn . He acted more like a republican and kept our homeowners taxes lower than the surrounding communities. He left after years of service and we again have a democrat for mayor.

I also have people than I know personally that put the sign on my lawn and know I support them. They don't even have to ask and they are republican.
Well for most of us, a forum is our only outlet to REALLY say what we think because it would cause a ruckus in real life. I live in a red county in Michigan, and while the people here are fantastic, I don't talk politics with them much except for vaguely saying "I lean left". Not unless they're very close friends who I know can handle it. (and even then I temper it by emphasizing areas where I agree with them) I don't like to go into much more detail than that because it just makes life more pleasant. Why sow discord where none is needed, is my philosophy.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
I don't see any family stickers. What is that about? post one ...
I'm pretty sure he's referring to these:

http://www.wmishops.com/magento/medi...car-lg_1_1.jpg

http://turningpaleo.com/files/2012/0...y-Stickers.gif

I guess some people think they're cute, but I just think they're goofy!

Old 06-23-2012, 09:44 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times
Quote:
Wow. I am surprised to see those who come into a political forum who do not express themselves politically. Maybe some areas it is better to leave it off.

I do. I don't put bumper stickers on my vehicles other than political. When Ross Perot ran , I made up a sign and put it on my lawn.

I also support the democrats and republicans locally, depending on who they are and what they stand for.. The mayor of my town was democrat and I supported him with a sign on my lawn . He acted more like a republican and kept our homeowners taxes lower than the surrounding communities. He left after years of service and we again have a democrat for mayor.

I also have people than I know personally that put the sign on my lawn and know I support them. They don't even have to ask and they are republican.

I was being facetious with my first post, but there was a study done that supposedly shows that people who have bumper stickers tend to be more aggressive drivers.

Study: Bumper stickers = Aggressive drivers

Old 06-23-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Well for most of us, a forum is our only outlet to REALLY say what we think because it would cause a ruckus in real life. I live in a red county in Michigan, and while the people here are fantastic, I don't talk politics with them much except for vaguely saying "I lean left". Not unless they're very close friends who I know can handle it. (and even then I temper it by emphasizing areas where I agree with them) I don't like to go into much more detail than that because it just makes life more pleasant. Why sow discord where none is needed, is my philosophy.
That is true, and generally I don't make a public issue of my political leanings... but around here (Bay Area), it's sometimes easy to forget not everyone is a liberal. So, pretty much the opposite of what you experience! Occasionally I'll make an off-the-cuff political remark, and then suddenly think "Whoops, I hope no Republicans just heard that" - because, despite my open nature on here, in real life I usually try to avoid offending people.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:49 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I don't talk politics to people I don't know.. the people I know, mostly are republicans and I live in a heavily republican area. Maybe if I lived in an urban area I would think about leaving the bumper sticker off... No wonder Romney has a bumper sticker with just an R on it.. I don't take it seriously if someone disagrees with my beliefs . They have that choice. But not everyone is at that level of thinking.

This suppose to be free speech and free to express your support for whatever. I wonder if it has to do with fear of putting on a Romney bumper sticker , afraid blacks will be so offended that they would do something crazy.. sad it has to be that way if that is why.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:49 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Same with the Seattle area. The oh so tolerant liberals here will vandalize a car with any conservative bumper sticker.

but...but...but...I thought they were the party of tolerance!

I've never put a bumper sticker on my car and likely never will.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I was being facetious with my first post, but there was a study done that supposedly shows that people who have bumper stickers tend to be more aggressive drivers.

Study: Bumper stickers = Aggressive drivers
Won't lie, I'm definitely an aggressive city driver!! But so are most people around here, in fact I'm rather tame compared to other drivers I encounter.

Maybe the correlation has to do with my issue, having a ding/scratch to cover... my scratch was caused by somebody else (while I was parked, no less), but on some cars they could be a result of aggressive driving. Just a thought, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies