Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 06:16 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchNsniff View Post
That still doesn't explain the bark beetle infestations destroying our forests because the winters aren't as cold to kill them off...
Perhaps it's the abundance of food due to the lack of frequent fires? Nah. That's an inconvenient truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 08:06 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
A team of UC Berkeley physicists and statisticians that set out to challenge the scientific consensus on global warming is finding that its data-crunching effort is producing results nearly identical to those underlying the prevailing view.
Well, since they have destroyed the raw data, the only thing to study is the altered data..... and guess what? It says what was intended.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Climate change denial is a set of organized attempts to downplay, deny or dismiss the scientific consensus on the extent of global warming, its significance, and its connection to human behavior, especially for commercial or ideological reasons.

AGW lemmings very much recognize who butters their bread. And we don't have scientific consensus.

Did you even read the OP link?

No? I didn't think so.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Actually, it is not dishonest. It is a probabilistic sample of 10,000 scientists, and 30% response rate, and the people most knowledgeable were only 79 in number. That is really not outrageous at all. Is it an ideal study design? No. But nothing inherently deceptive or inappropriate..

I'm sure somebody could find 75 scientists who can easily debunk the AGW material.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchNsniff View Post
That still doesn't explain the bark beetle infestations destroying our forests because the winters aren't as cold to kill them off...

How did you decide that cold winters kill bark beetles?

Old 06-27-2012, 08:16 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
They stuck a few in the freezer for the winter and when they were dead in the spring, the science was settled.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:30 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Quote:
I'm sure somebody could find 75 scientists who can easily debunk the AGW material.
Sounds easy enough, but I don't think you would find 75 scientists. I bet you could not find ten rigorous, peer-reviewed journal articles that debunk global warming. Go ahead, find them, and post a link, or a comparable survey showing the opposite view. Sure, you could find some wealthy pseudoscientist in England or maybe a few dozen paid "consultants," but I seriously doubt you could collect a dozen high stature, respected scientists to debunk it. Search the world and get back to me.

And please go to somewhere remotely of the same caliber as the Union of Concerned Scientists, not the Petroleum Science Institute.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:50 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
AGW lemmings very much recognize who butters their bread. And we don't have scientific consensus.

Did you even read the OP link?

No? I didn't think so.
I read it...One 92 year old man's opinion...Did you read all of it?

Lovelock still believes anthropogenic global warming is occurring and that mankind must lower its greenhouse gas emissions, but says it’s now clear the doomsday predictions, including his own (and Al Gore’s) were incorrect...I agree in part with this, but I think if we carry on without a care, then eventually at least some of those predictions will happen, just not in my life time. It is something that may effect our grand children.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:50 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
OK, now I understand. You are saying the Dems believe in AGW to get votes and believe homosexuality is not a choice.... to get more votes.

Thanks for explaining how to get young people votes.
Kind of goes with the youth lifestyle that's until "some" grow up and realize taking care of the earth involves more than a "Peace Sign"............ A persons sexual preferences shouldn't be front and center for a vote for either party.......

What an odd way to pull in the votes, last time it was pizza and free bus rides, what will the Dem's think of next.................

Old 06-27-2012, 11:01 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
It is a well known fact...We are now have the same problem here in Canada with the mountain pine beetle...

Cold weather kills the mountain pine beetle. Mountain pine beetle eggs, pupae and young larvae are the most susceptible to freezing temperatures. Mountain Pine Beetle - Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations - Province of British Columbia

This dead forest is near Grandby Colorado...Is it any wonder the Colorado fire is burning out of control?

An outbreak of mountain pine beetles in British Columbia is doing more than destroying millions of trees: By 2020, the beetles will have done so much damage that the forest is expected to release more carbon dioxide than it absorbs, according to new research. The study, led by Werner Kurz of the Canadian Forest Service, estimates that over 21 years trees killed by the beetle outbreak could release nearly 990 megatons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere — roughly equivalent to five years of emissions from Canada's transportation sector.
Beetle outbreak is altering carbon balance in forests - USATODAY.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies