Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 08:01 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,149,703 times

Advertisements

NYT: Youngest voters shed image as Obama's army - politics - The New York Times - msnbc.com

I guess even young people are no longer falling for the hype.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 08:24 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
My son is 21. He was not 18 in time to vote but he had friends that were. All his friends were pro-Obama. They couldn't verbalize why though which I figured because, heck, they were 18, in high school and still living at home. They had no clue about politics. They heard the great promises (of which none really affected them) and of course Obama was young (younger than McCain) and Black (which was cool). My son said if he could have voted he would have voted for Obama for all those reasons.

Now fast forward 3 years. My son has commented that Obama didn't do everything he promised. I smiled at him and said that it wasn't Obama, but politics in general. Everyone will promise the world if you elect them.

I think those who were 18 back in 2008 have had their introduction to the world of politics. It's not Obama per say, but the slimy way politics is run and the hollow promises made during campaigns. The idealistic youth didn't know any better.

Obama is now playing it up to the next batch of "virgin voters" who don't know any better.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:29 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,562,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
My son is 21. He was not 18 in time to vote but he had friends that were. All his friends were pro-Obama. They couldn't verbalize why though which I figured because, heck, they were 18, in high school and still living at home. They had no clue about politics. They heard the great promises (of which none really affected them) and of course Obama was young (younger than McCain) and Black (which was cool). My son said if he could have voted he would have voted for Obama for all those reasons.

Now fast forward 3 years. My son has commented that Obama didn't do everything he promised. I smiled at him and said that it wasn't Obama, but politics in general. Everyone will promise the world if you elect them.

I think those who were 18 back in 2008 have had their introduction to the world of politics. It's not Obama per say, but the slimy way politics is run and the hollow promises made during campaigns. The idealistic youth didn't know any better.

Obama is now playing it up to the next batch of "virgin voters" who don't know any better.
Glad you told him that all politicians make promises they will never keep. and both Obama and Romney are pandering to the new virgin voters. The only difference is that Obama knows how to do it and Romney doesn't.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:42 AM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:

A big part of his support was the anti-war movement. I think the 20% or so that were really anti-war are bitter about Obama's track record on this front. The rest were just there for the hip party or just partisan. We have several faux anti-war posters around here that have either completely flip-flopped or just quietly ignore the topic and deny reality. I wonder how many think Guantanamo has been closed.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:45 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,504,856 times
Obama is no longer cool.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:46 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,483,407 times
Not surprising. Like HappyTexan said, politicians will promise the world, and they never can live up to the hype. So of course the most enthusiastic supporters the first time around will be more hesitant the second time. It will still be a very close election.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:56 AM

10,179 posts, read 11,167,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Obama is no longer cool.
He never was "cool"....

Old 07-02-2012, 09:03 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,460,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
NYT: Youngest voters shed image as Obama's army - politics - The New York Times - msnbc.com

I guess even young people are no longer falling for the hype.
Perhaps, though you wouldn't know it from Republican efforts to suppress the youth vote.

"Clinton said that by eliminating same-day registration and making it difficult for college students to vote in the state in which they reside most of the year, the youth vote could be suppressed next year."

BTW, that's precisely what Republican candidates have been trying to do here in the predominantly college town where I live. And they even take it a step farther, and have tried to change the voting day to the end of June, when many of the kids have left!

Old 07-02-2012, 09:04 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,960,577 times
Quote:

Was everyone asleep or in some sort of trance during the campaign? Who is this super-liberal Obama that promised a lot, but delivered little? He's managed to accomplish a fair bit of his campaign promises, especially in light of the acrimonious relationship with House Republicans. Any bleeding-heart lefty who thought that Obama was going to govern any differently than he has simply wasn't paying attention.

My biggest complaint with Obama has been his continuation and expansion of the Patriot Act and his perceived lack of will with Republicans during the health care debate. However, at no point did I ever think he would be anything but the center-right Democrat that he is.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:20 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Only Ron Paul will pull those young guns, to the light of what Constitutional Conservative policies, really look like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies