Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2012, 09:13 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,574,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The states that are dying for healthcare coverage - Bottom Line

The lack of medical coverage in America is a serious problem as approximately 50 million people were uninsured all through 2010. But the U.S. Supreme Court on Thursday ruled the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, which was passed in 2010, was constitutional. The legislation, once implemented in its entirety, is expected to cover 30 million Americans currently lacking coverage.

The lack of medical insurance has had grave consequences for individuals and the nation. In 2010 alone, 26,100 people died because they had no health insurance — that amounts to 502 preventable deaths a week
i WONDER HOW MANY DIED BECAUSE THEY HAD MEDICAL INS, and now with millions more insured how many more thousends will die because of medical mal-practice!!

Old 07-01-2012, 10:05 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
In 2010, 26,100 people died because they had no health insurance

Please post a link with their names. I know how you guys love links, so I'm sure the link is handy.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:21 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times
Doc-In-The-Box and Minute Clinics would be a lot more prevalent if certain vested interests weren't opposed to them, with the AMA at the top of the list.

That figure of 45,000,000+ folks being uninsured is a worthless number unless one is willing to dig and find out how many of those folks have no means of paying for it.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:22 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Is that what you said after 9/11?

What does Families USA, a front group for the SEIU, have to do with 911?

Mary Kay Henry sits on the board of Families USA...

Mary Kay Henry

Families USA: Privately Funded Healthcare Propaganda Benefiting SEIU - 24thState

When a political party launders tax dollars through a union they are in bed with to fund their campaigns, we have big problems.

When the same union hides behind a front group to lobby for laws and policies which will provide them with even more tax dollars, we have even bigger problems.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:29 PM

884 posts, read 716,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
There NEEDS to be a national investigation into why healthcare costs so damn much. There is something wrong when a nurse can make $60-sum an hour, as a niece of mine does.
a concern.
It is without a doubt that you have absolutely NO IDEA what you are talking about do you? My God what has happened to this Country?

Someone sounds very jealous of a niece now don't they? Lord helps us.

Last edited by Iluvmycountry; 07-01-2012 at 10:41 PM..

Old 07-01-2012, 10:37 PM

884 posts, read 716,536 times
Quote:
Why don't you walk into the ER and ask for a free colonoscopy, and see what they'll tell you.

They will laugh you out of the building, and a year later you show up again because by then you are defecating blood and pieces of your intestines, and then they'll take you in because of the Ronald Reagan mandate forces them to, and they'll tell you that you have stage-4 colon cancer which could have been prevented if you had a colonoscopy a year earlier. Get the point?
Finn_Jarber, I doubt I could last 5 minutes talking to you based on our different political views. However, you are on to something in this statement. I am working on a paper now that basically states how important preventative medicine is for everyone in this country. Go to the ER for a yearly colonoscopy checkup and we would laugh. But, I do think it would save millions if preventative medicine was initiated on everyone based on the standard of practice. So yea, you are on to something in this post.

Oh and your quote on what was it umm 500 zillion people died in this country because of no health insurance? that is the biggest crock of you know what. Stop spouting off crap. I think I know what you want to say, but you are saying it all wrong.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:49 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
26k out of 3.2 million. and 50 million uninsured. only 26k died?

Drop in the bucket.

Sorry to be blunt but true.

C'est la vie...
I apologize for having overestimated the intelligence of many posters here, but the truth is that I can't put in any simpler terms to help people understand the difference between 'preventable' and 'unpreventable'.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
1. elective procedures are not offered in emergency rooms

2. only last month was a definitive increase in survival shown by colonoscopy in NEJM

3. The poor who desire healthcare coverage, can get medicaid through their state

4. county hospitals and clinics perform colonoscopy on medicaid patients
That's right. The "E" in ER stands for emergency. I am glad you are begining to understand my point. No, I didn't say anything about the poor, you do not have to be poor to abuse Ronald Reagan mandate. Many people have been abusing it for years.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvmycountry View Post
Finn_Jarber, I doubt I could last 5 minutes talking to you based on our different political views.
Maybe. My views on most issues are libertarian, but HC may be one of the exceptions, because I believe providing basic HC falls under "provide general welfare" in the US constitution.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:28 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
No, people with insurance do not have to use the ER as their primary doctor. People with insurance (such as myself), walk to their primary care doctor and schedule the colonoscopy, and the insurance will cover most of it, meaking the procedure affordable.

40% of ER patients are uninsured people who are using the ER as their promary care doctor. The problem is that the cost of their care is paid by others, and the cost of treating people at the ER is about ten times higher compared to the doctors office.
I seriously doubt that ER visits will drop from Obamacare.

For one -- Obamacare doesn't include illegals who will still be encouraged to just show up at an Emergency Room for their free health care and are a very significant portion of those who use the Emergency Room as their primary care.

In fact I would expect ER visits will only increase - those who pay nothing will not find any real reason to change their habits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies