Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 09:47 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,051,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I'll remember that sage(sic) piece of advise when I cut in front of the local cops at WaWa. NOT!
The (sic) should have come after "advise" (didn't you mean advice?) not "sage".

Cops in uniform are not members of the public - they have no business at a garage sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
Ridiculous.

If you are having a garage sale - open to the public - you are welcoming the public onto your property.

Like I've said earlier, the lady behind the camera is obviously a low-life law breaker who has a long criminal record, and is constantly provoking the police. What an idiot.
Uhhh...the last thing a person with a long criminal record wants to do is to provoke the police.

I don't think that you have thought this out very well.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Funny how those who feel under constant attack by the police are those who typically have good reason to be apprehended by the police.
You base this assumption on - what?

Old 07-03-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
This woman claims the apartment complex is
her private property? There was no search;
the stuff was in plain sight.
People who live in apartment complexes relinquish their privacy rights when they sign a lease?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Who do these
idiots call when they are crime victims?
Who do you think they should call - and why?

Old 07-03-2012, 09:54 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,105,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The (sic) should have come after "advise" (didn't you mean advice?) not "sage".
You are grammatically correct, but civically wrong. Shortly I will go to bed and will arise tomorrow rested and more cognizant of using proper spelling and grammar, unfortunately tomorrow you will be just as in the dark about the status of on-duty and uniformed officers as members of the public.

PS: Good night.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
You are grammatically correct, but civically wrong. Shortly I will go to bed and will arise tomorrow rested and more cognizant of using proper spelling and grammar, unfortunately tomorrow you will be just as in the dark about the status of on-duty and uniformed officers as members of the public.
No I won't - when they are in uniform and carrying a firearm - they are being paid by my dime - and I expect them to do be constrained by the United States Constitution.

I will give the SJP cops some credit - they left when they were asked to do so - but the fact remains that they likely would have continued to abuse their power if they hadn't crossed paths with someone who knew their rights and ensured that they were protected.

This is the problem - a "good cop" is someone who will back down when confronted by an informed citizen. It should be that a good cop will never overstep their bounds in the first place - but they are indoctrinated to do so from their first day of training. The problem isn't with the individual cops(with the exception of those who ignore informed citizens who exercise their rights - and trample on those rights - up into and including murder of citizens - these are the bad cops) it is with the system that encourages the abuse in the first place.

Until the police departments in this country return to being public servants - and understand that government is "of the people, by the people, and for the people" - our republic is sadly - doomed.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Considering how police generally respond to folks shooting at them I will hazard to guess that not many will have the opportunity to test the validity of this law in court.
How do you think that law-abiding citizens should react to cops shooting at them?

Old 07-03-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
I'll remember that sage(sic) piece of advise when I cut in front of the local cops at WaWa. NOT!
If I owned that shop - the cops would be required to show that they were on lunch break or some authorized time off - before I would sell them a thing.

Otherwise - lose the uniform, badge, and any weapon - besides the fists.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:23 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,105,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
How do you think that law-abiding citizens should react to cops shooting at them?
I would suggest that they duck. Getting into a running gun fight with the police severely limits one's claim, if one survives to make the claim, that one did not present an imminent threat to the police whether or not one was actually a threat to begin with. Prosecutors, judges and juries of your peers have an uncanny propensity to take the word of the police over that of a defendant. That may not be fair or just, but it is reality.

One last thought for the evening, what official capacity does an uniformed officer fulfill while standing in line at a convenience store, or sitting at a table at a restaurant? I might add, that since most jurisdictions require that officers carry their weapons off duty and are required to perform their official duties if need be, (some departments go so far as to issue marked police cars for officers to drive while off duty) so, by your definition when would a police officer be considered a member of the public or does your definition preclude the police from ever being members of the public? What about civilian attired detectives? Can they walk around yard sales in an unofficial capacity or is this restriction of your only for those wearing a uniform be they on duty or off?

Good night for real this time.

Will be back on the 5th.

Last edited by ovcatto; 07-03-2012 at 10:32 PM..

Old 07-03-2012, 10:33 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,081,126 times
So two cops come in response to a call and ask one question and their already closed garage sale is being "raided" and they are victims and the two officers are worthy of this? Yikes. I think they're smoking too much dope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies