Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 10:36 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,225,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Sniper View Post
I recently had a heart attack at the ripe old age of 38 while I was unemployed / trying to start my own business. We now have a bill close to $50k hanging over us along with the mortgage, two car loans and all the other life expenses such as our $200.00 to $300.00 per week grocery bill... The $800.00 per month payment plan the hospital offered is not in the budget, if we had that much disposable income we probably would have had health insurance...

Along with this the doctor said I can no longer do the work required for the business we were starting because it involves manual labor out in the Texas heat.
The silver lining here is that I now have a good (office) job again and will soon have health insurance through my employer but that won't help paying off any existing bills.

I have nothing but good to say about the doctors and hospital where I stayed and I wish I could afford to pay off this debt. But at the same time I have to wonder, does it really cost that much for a stint and a few days in the hospital? And why is it that we are the only industrialized nation that does not have a universal health care program yet we can spend untold billions to send our sons and daughters off to die in illegal wars for sake of Halliburton's profit margin? We are also the only nation that allows people to file bankruptcy for medical bills and it looks like that will have to be our solution..

While the politicians continue to play political football with this issue, working class families like mine still cannot afford health care and health insurance CEO's continue to rake in $23mil per year.
A little devil's advocacy, and not to be taken as a personal observation........

A person who is 38, has two car loans, a mortgage payment, and $200-$300 per WEEK food bill either has an extremely large family with a large house, or champagne taste on a beer budget. Is it possible that a healthy 38 year old had misplaced priorities, thinking himself bullet-proof, and not needing health insurance?

Secondly, you rant against CEOs, and the lack of universal healthcare makes me somewhat skeptical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 10:55 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
I recently had a heart attack at the ripe old age of 38 while I was unemployed / trying to start my own business. We now have a bill close to $50k hanging over us along with the mortgage, two car loans and all the other life expenses such as our $200.00 to $300.00 per week grocery bill... The $800.00 per month payment plan the hospital offered is not in the budget, if we had that much disposable income we probably would have had health insurance...

Along with this the doctor said I can no longer do the work required for the business we were starting because it involves manual labor out in the Texas heat.
The silver lining here is that I now have a good (office) job again and will soon have health insurance through my employer but that won't help paying off any existing bills.

I have nothing but good to say about the doctors and hospital where I stayed and I wish I could afford to pay off this debt. But at the same time I have to wonder, does it really cost that much for a stint and a few days in the hospital? And why is it that we are the only industrialized nation that does not have a universal health care program yet we can spend untold billions to send our sons and daughters off to die in illegal wars for sake of Halliburton's profit margin? We are also the only nation that allows people to file bankruptcy for medical bills and it looks like that will have to be our solution..

While the politicians continue to play political football with this issue, working class families like mine still cannot afford health care and health insurance CEO's continue to rake in $23mil per year.
If you were unemployed, the hospital should have given you forms to apply to have medicaid cover the bill.

Furthermore, if you go bankrupt, it'll be because you have too many dam bills that you cant afford. Mortgage, 2 car loans, $1200 a month in grocery bills? What the hell are you eating? So now its the CEO's fault that you made poor choices and borrowed but cant afford to pay it back, or are you blaming them because you had a heart attack because you need to play the victim?

Spare me the class envy bull crap!!

Old 07-04-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
And people still have the gall to say our health care is the best ever hope you get better soon.
The OP was treated, and didnt have to spend a dime.. I'd say thats pretty dam good healthcare because the alternative would be to let them die..

Old 07-04-2012, 10:59 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,987,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
If you were unemployed, the hospital should have given you forms to apply to have medicaid cover the bill.

Furthermore, if you go bankrupt, it'll be because you have too many dam bills that you cant afford. Mortgage, 2 car loans, $1200 a month in grocery bills? What the hell are you eating? So now its the CEO's fault that you made poor choices and borrowed but cant afford to pay it back, or are you blaming them because you had a heart attack because you need to play the victim?

Spare me the class envy bull crap!!
So this is how Americans treat fellow Americans. On the 4th of July. Wonderful.

AND...after he just had a heart attack.

I sense a little envy myself..

Old 07-04-2012, 11:04 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,330,440 times
Quote:

Sorry to hear about your heart attack, but Jesus, who the hell has a $200-300/week grocery bill? Mine is half of that for a family of four! Maybe your overeating led to your heart attack?

Anyways, hospitals are more than willing to work with patients w/o insurance coverage. The hospital I work at discounts the bill immediately by 65% for the uninsured. On top of that, administration can write off part of the bill as bad debt and/or work out reasonable payment plans. It's in their best interest to make it affordable for you, because any money recouped is better than none.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:05 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,929,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The OP was treated, and didnt have to spend a dime.. I'd say thats pretty dam good healthcare because the alternative would be to let them die..
And that is the alternative.

The OP will probably declare bankruptcy which means that you and I will pay for his treatment through taxes/insurance premiums.

Now, I do not think that people should be left to die because they cannot afford treatment. But I do think that we need to figure out a better way of paying for those who either cannot afford insurance or choose not to.

I am not a big fan of Obamacare for a number of reasons. But I think that one of the ideas behind forcing everyone to carry some kind of insurance was to ensure that everyone is paying something into the system. Otherwise, it will continue to be the same people - those who pay taxes and those who pay insurance - paying for everyone else.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:06 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,140,277 times
Quote:

Do what everybody else does and pass it on to the rest of us.
Los Angeles Bankruptcy Attorney - Southern California Bankruptcy Attorney | B & C LAW

Old 07-04-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
So this is how Americans treat fellow Americans. On the 4th of July. Wonderful.

AND...after he just had a heart attack.

I sense a little envy myself..
I'm under no obligation to lie to the OP and high 5 him for his rant against CEO's because he had a heart attack and cant pay for his high cost of living.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
And that is the alternative.

The OP will probably declare bankruptcy which means that you and I will pay for his treatment through taxes/insurance premiums.

Now, I do not think that people should be left to die because they cannot afford treatment. But I do think that we need to figure out a better way of paying for those who either cannot afford insurance or choose not to.
If the OP goes bankrupt, it will be because he's not working and earning enough to cover his mortgage, 2 car loans, $1200 food bill etc..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I am not a big fan of Obamacare for a number of reasons. But I think that one of the ideas behind forcing everyone to carry some kind of insurance was to ensure that everyone is paying something into the system. Otherwise, it will continue to be the same people - those who pay taxes and those who pay insurance - paying for everyone else.
not only does it not do that, but in this instance, the OP could just go without insurance and then sign up when he gets his heart attack passing the cost onto everyone after the fact. Ok, with a heart attack that'll be kind of difficult, but the point of course is that he's still under no obligation to get insurance, and in fact, catastrophic is deemed illegal, so there will be more people going without insurance.

Thats rather dumb.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:38 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Do not be an idiot, file bankruptcy. It is how our system subsidizes healthcare for certain individuals. It is better than Obamacare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies