Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2012, 09:07 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,999,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Cut the melodramatic bs.
What soldier is fighting for any of my freedoms?
What is fighting for anything for the US at all?

Please name a thing or two that they're fighting for.
My right to free speech.... my right to back it up with my second amendment right... to freely assemble and show disdain for tyranny...to worship or not the one true GOD without government intrusion...to protect people like you who are clueless....need I go on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 09:10 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
the lunch that a soldier purchased at Baltimore airport last week. There were about 15-20 people inline ahead of me at Subway at BWI. When I got online, this young soldier was number four inline. Not one person acknowledged him, thanked him, or even offered to buy him lunch. As he was reaching into his pocket to pay I walked over to the register and said "Thanks man, this ones on me". These kids are leaving home for months at a time, many may not even come home. Take care of those that take care of us. Please acknowledge the men and women who serve America. If you can't afford to treat them to a lunch, a simple smile or thank you will make them feel good.
You do nice things for others because you want to not for acknowledgement.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:10 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,471,750 times
Oh, I see ya'll beat me to it. Carry on.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:33 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,919,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
the lunch that a soldier purchased at Baltimore airport last week. There were about 15-20 people inline ahead of me at Subway at BWI. When I got online, this young soldier was number four inline. Not one person acknowledged him, thanked him, or even offered to buy him lunch. As he was reaching into his pocket to pay I walked over to the register and said "Thanks man, this ones on me". These kids are leaving home for months at a time, many may not even come home. Take care of those that take care of us. Please acknowledge the men and women who serve America. If you can't afford to treat them to a lunch, a simple smile or thank you will make them feel good.
The soldier volunteered to join the military and gets paid a wage plus benefits to do their job just like everyone else. IMO, since the soldiers are getting paid with money stolen from people in the form of taxes, they are the ones that should buy a poor downtrodden taxpayer a meal from time to time to thank the rest of us for paying their bills and taking care of their families.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:35 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
He can't buy his own lunch?

I'm sorry, he applied for a job.
He chose his career/job.
No one forced him to do anything.

Why is he special? He's not.

He's doing nothing for the US and not protecting any of my freedoms.
If anything, he's making my life less safe.
Are you an American? Just asking.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:37 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,106,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
How unpatriotic of you, not wanting to kiss the ground ALL Military members walk on! How dare YOU!

I had my lunch paid for 3 times, never expected it, felt weird about it. Someone gave up their 1st class seat for me and it was extremely AWKWARD. In my opinion the best way to show appreciation for a Veteran is to drop by a homeless shelter or a nursing home whenever you can...there are so many Veterans that have no place to go, and some whose families are no longer around or have "forgotten" they exist. A lot of Vets like to just have someone to talk to about their time in the service
Thank you for saying this. I'm not a vet, but when I first read the OP I thought it would be awkward for a lot of people when it happens to them. I think most people want to be treated no different than other people and it would take a big ego to really want the attention like this.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:37 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
The soldier volunteered to join the military and gets paid a wage plus benefits to do their job just like everyone else. IMO, since the soldiers are getting paid with money stolen from people in the form of taxes, they are the ones that should buy a poor downtrodden taxpayer a meal from time to time to thank the rest of us for paying their bills and taking care of their families.
And to think, that in some restaurants, policemen and firemen get free coffee. I wonder why that is?

Old 07-05-2012, 09:39 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
Yeah that killer of terrorists and our economy makes me feel unsafe too....Obama "The Drone Strikes Back" coming to a neighborhood near you.

Go praise Che' somewhere else...GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS AND THANK YOU!!!!!!
Got anything but personal assaults.

You do realize that we make more terrorists every day that we occupy countries.
The US is making the world less safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
My right to free speech.... my right to back it up with my second amendment right... to freely assemble and show disdain for tyranny...to worship or not the one true GOD without government intrusion...to protect people like you who are clueless....need I go on?
Really, is that what they’re fighting for in the middle east?
Exactly how are they doing that?
Really, fighting some poor uneducated people who have nothing to do with the US.
That’s keeping us free?

Do I understand you correctly?

Last edited by chielgirl; 07-05-2012 at 10:17 AM..

Old 07-05-2012, 09:45 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Obviously you are so much better than those than lay their lives on the line everyday so perhaps YOU should go and SHOW THEM HOW THAT IS DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How selfish and inconsiderate can one human be? It is lunch or a thank you. Without the men and women who serve in the Military or Police Officers, Doctors, Nurses, Lab Techs, Firefighters, Janitors, Housekeeping and any other "service" related profession the USA would NOT be as it is today.

Definitely not a perfect world but much better than many other places around the world where most humans especially women have NO RIGHTS AT ALL.

If you would voice your comment in some of the other countries around the world you would be jailed, found guilty at trial and either have your head cut off, your tongue cut out or be stoned...........all in public as an example of what happens to those who go against the rules of the governing powers.
They volunteer for their job.
Period.

Would you thank me for doing my job?
Probably not.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:55 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
They volunteer for their job.
Period.
Do you thank the postman? School crossing guard?
Why yes. As a matter of fact I do.

My letter carrier drops off any large packages we get right at the door, thus saving us a trip into town. He rings the bell to let us know he's dropped something off. I always say thanks if I catch him before he gets back in his truck.

The school crossing guard gets a wave whenever I go by.

I also thank the person who has the perfectly awful job of cleaning the various public restrooms I have occasion to visit. "Thank you. It looks good. I appreciate it." With a smile and eye contact.

Takes two seconds out of your day to be nice to someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies