Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 02:03 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,575,355 times

Advertisements

I'm gay and I've never felt like an alien other than many people think of us. i just feel like that regular kid. I used to play dodgeball and foursquare and softball with all the other kids in my neighborhood. I went to birthday parties, I live in rural state. I'm close to my family, and go to work, graduated from college, go to church etc. I'm just me. my friends and family who are all straight don't think of me as 'that strange person'. I'm just boring normal me. JUST LIKE THEM.

When people talk about 'the gays'. it seems as though they're talking about a subhuman group of aliens. Is this just a way to make us appear like the 'other' or to appear scary to others.

How can I scare people that much? I don't get how my life brings out such a big reaction in others.

It's amazing how ANY difference from others brings out such a STRONG reaction in so many.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:34 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
I haven't been on this forum in a while, so maybe I've missed something... but I only see one other thread from this poster, which is a far cry from "spamming."

That being said - I think people need to really KNOW a gay person, or have one in their family, before they realize you're just like anyone else. I grew up in the Bay Area (large/open gay population), so I never really thought otherwise... but for people who grew up more isolated, they often do see the gay community as an "alien subgroup" or something. It's actually kinda funny, if you allow yourself to laugh about it. Screw 'em.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:47 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,575,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I haven't been on this forum in a while, so maybe I've missed something... but I only see one other thread from this poster, which is a far cry from "spamming."

That being said - I think people need to really KNOW a gay person, or have one in their family, before they realize you're just like anyone else. I grew up in the Bay Area (large/open gay population), so I never really thought otherwise... but for people who grew up more isolated, they often do see the gay community as an "alien subgroup" or something. It's actually kinda funny, if you allow yourself to laugh about it. Screw 'em.
true. i just brought it up because many posters in these forums see us as the 'alien subgroup'.

I think it's funny too

Old 05-22-2011, 03:06 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
I'm gay and I've never felt like an alien other than many people think of us. i just feel like that regular kid. I used to play dodgeball and foursquare and softball with all the other kids in my neighborhood. I went to birthday parties, I live in rural state. I'm close to my family, and go to work, graduated from college, go to church etc. I'm just me. my friends and family who are all straight don't think of me as 'that strange person'. I'm just boring normal me. JUST LIKE THEM.

When people talk about 'the gays'. it seems as though they're talking about a subhuman group of aliens. Is this just a way to make us appear like the 'other' or to appear scary to others.

How can I scare people that much? I don't get how my life brings out such a big reaction in others.

It's amazing how ANY difference from others brings out such a STRONG reaction in so many.
~Yawn~ Like I'd give a crap if my neighbor is gay...

Maybe the reaction is just the fact some gay people want to always push their gayness in peoples faces over and over and over and people are sick of it.

IMHO you have the bulk of gays that do the same thing as everyone else and then you have a small minority who as I said earlier like to throw their gayness in peoples faces (push peoples buttons)..... and they are the ones people associate gay with.

I used to work with a really sharp programmer, we'd go out to lunch sometimes... He helped me rebuild my 389 tri-power, I fixed his home PC.
His private life and my private stayed that way. He was a really cool gay person.

Look at C-D you have the same people who constantly start new gay flame bait threads and argue with anyone who disagrees with their flame-bait.
It's those types of gays that get people pissed off on the subject...

Old 05-22-2011, 02:43 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,956,590 times
Are you in Kentucky or Texas?

Old 05-22-2011, 02:52 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post

i have known a number of gay people in my life, you dont live for 52 years without knowing gay people. in fact two of my friends in the past were gay, unfortunately they are dead now, both died of complcations from aids. i personally am straight and have no issue with gay people as long as they dont push their lifestyle down my throat. same thing with straight people who brag about their sex lives. if you want to sleep with people of your own sex, fine with me. if you want to have multiple partners regardless of sex, again fine with me. just dont push it into my face on a regular basis and we will get along just fine.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:53 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
NEVER ask 'permission' to be yourself! Just be yourself, exactly how you are and if someone doesn't like you exactly as you are, I'd say that's their problem.
i cant rep you for this one, but well said. again though, just dont push your lifestyle into others faces.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:00 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,753,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i cant rep you for this one, but well said. again though, just dont push your lifestyle into others faces.
First of all, thanks for the compliment. But sexual orientation is not a 'lifestyle'. A lifestyle describes how one lives their day-to-day life. Such as an active lifestyle (always busy) or a sedentary lifestyle (rarely busy). Far as I can tell, Rlarson hasn't given us even a hint about his lifestyle, much less 'pushed it in anyone's face'.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:02 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,369,433 times
Just a regular everyday person right down the street.......that wants special recognition legislated by the government.

Hell, just go about your life, be yourself.....you don't have to get special privileges from the government or need to get in everybody's face and proclaim your gayness.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:30 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
First of all, thanks for the compliment. But sexual orientation is not a 'lifestyle'. A lifestyle describes how one lives their day-to-day life. Such as an active lifestyle (always busy) or a sedentary lifestyle (rarely busy). Far as I can tell, Rlarson hasn't given us even a hint about his lifestyle, much less 'pushed it in anyone's face'.

I'm afraid that simply expressing one's self is "pushing it" in people's faces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies