Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 09:36 PM

253 posts, read 1,740,879 times

Advertisements

Or anything -American to identify a general class of people. It's so ridiculously presumptuous, and all the extra syllables and hypens - why? The new politically correct dictionary of acceptable vernacular really just makes my eyes roll and only makes modern life appear more superfluous than it already is.

The United States is and always has been a melting pot of many, many different races and cultures. To paint such a broad stroke and presume someone with dark skin is "African-American" is the most offensive moniker of all. Never mind that a person with darker skin could originate from any number of countries including Haiti, India, Trinidad, Dominican Republic, Brazil, Australia, or Jamaica.

What would you label this man if you saw him walking down the street?

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse....rican_lol2.jpg

No, actually this man is British.

Would you call this woman African-American if she was applying for food stamps at the welfare office with six kids in tow?

http://www.womenshealthonalert.com/images/durand.jpg

Well, sure, if you want to be politically correct. This is Le Clanché Du Rand from South Africa who emigrated to the US.

For anyone who has studied anthropology, it's quite noted that the entire human race originated in the African region and only due to climate, evolution, and other factors have humans developed different features and skin colors.

Based on this method of presumptuously labeling people based on bundling hundreds of years of hereditary inheritance, I hereby declare myself to be an African-Germanic-Anglo-Scottish-Irish-French-Cherokee-Canadian-American, or just another AGASIFCCA, for short. I'm going to start putting that on all forms that request my ethnic designation.

What's your new PC label?

Last edited by da jammer; 05-11-2008 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: copyright issues

Old 04-28-2008, 09:39 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,142,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnubler View Post
Don't know. I'm not a fan of "African-American" for the reasons you stated. Do I know of something to say that doesn't offend someone? Nope. Maybe that's inevitable, though.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:54 PM

523 posts, read 1,282,814 times
I just hate having to type out African American when black is so much quicker! You won't see many of my posts containing the word "Caucasian" either.

Black...White...both have five letters. A coincidence? Maybe not!

God...Dog...even more stunning!!

Old 04-28-2008, 10:00 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,714,762 times
I agree 100% with this op. People have asked me who I thought was the best looking AA actress and I always respond in kind, "Charlize Theron". Born and raised in SA emigrated to USA, the very definition of AA.

Also, about a year ago Sports Illustrated did a story on Ray Emery, the goalie for the Ottawa Senators, referring to him as the first African American to do such and such. Ray Emery was born and raised in Ontario, Canada.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:01 PM

793 posts, read 2,214,433 times
I hate labeling people.

Myself I am French-Bristish-Scottish-Irish-Welsh-Spanish-American-Canadian, and if I marry my girlfriend my kids will havd Dutch, German, Russian, Mexican and Belizian added to it.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:05 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,445,927 times
I don't tend to refer to people with regards to their race but if a group wants to be called a certain thing then thats fine with me. I understand that American Indians want to be called Native Americans, why should that bother me?

Old 04-28-2008, 10:45 PM

437 posts, read 631,543 times
I've been in teaching so long that my students have been Negro, Afro-American, African-American and black. For a brief time, back when I was a teacher's assistant, they were colored. Nearly all of them call themselves black. When I asked why, they told me that they had African students in their classes and they didn't want to disrespect them. Honestly, I find the term African-American to be a little silly. How many centuries must a group of being be in this country before they are simply American?

Ironically, they tend to call each other Negro, though I think it's in a comical kind of manner. One of my students tend to stroll in the class and call "Good morning, Negroes!"

Old 05-11-2008, 01:16 PM

232 posts, read 948,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnubler View Post
Or anything -American to identify a general class of people. It's so ridiculously presumptuous, and all the extra syllables and hypens - why? The new politically correct dictionary of acceptable vernacular really just makes my eyes roll and only makes modern life appear more superfluous than it already is.

The United States is and always has been a melting pot of many, many different races and cultures. To paint such a broad stroke and presume someone with dark skin is "African-American" is the most offensive moniker of all.

i dont think see your spewing rhetoric and dont knwo what the term means

Never mind that a person with darker skin could originate from any number of countries including Haiti, India, Trinidad, Dominican Republic, Brazil, Australia, or Jamaica.

your right about that! but they are indeed africans excluding india but i can
let you in on another secrect about the east african slave trade your not taught in schools about of africans being sent to various parts of asia did you know that? i bet not but black people are all over as you show above with the countries. they can be mistakened for african american because they are in america until they talk some of them have various american accents so that makes it harder.

What would you label this man if you saw him walking down the street?
black, african american, until he opened his mouth with a different noticeable accent

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse....rican_lol2.jpg

No, actually this man is British.

well if i were walking down the streets in london ppl are not gonna see me as a american they'll see me as either a african or westindian or the simply a black guy! this is america thats why! i can be confused as a local if i went to another country your logic is flawed nice try lol,, lame!

Would you call this woman African-American if she was applying for food stamps at the welfare office with six kids in tow?

no i wouldnt, she would be seen as white, her nationality would come in question when i hear her talk read below she isnt of african descent.

http://www.womenshealthonalert.com/images/durand.jpg

Well, sure, if you want to be politically correct. This is Le Clanché Du Rand from South Africa who emigrated to the US.

she is white, a white south african, they are not ethnically african, dont descend from ethnic african people their ancestry is european(britain, dutch) where they migrated from. white south africans arent african american either, as i said african americans are americans who are black. the term does not included other black groups.

any sane person knows if he or she goes to another country they'll be seen as the locals until they open their mouths.

For anyone who has studied anthropology, it's quite noted that the entire human race originated in the African region and only due to climate, evolution, and other factors have humans developed different features and skin colors.

so what! people dont identify with that,thats not how culture today is shaped either..

Based on this method of presumptuously labeling people based on bundling hundreds of years of hereditary inheritance, I hereby declare myself to be an African-Germanic-Anglo-Scottish-Irish-French-Cherokee-Canadian-American, or just another AGASIFCCA, for short. I'm going to start putting that on all forms that request my ethnic designation.

go right on ahead but u werent born in those countries lol! i'll just call you a white american! nothing more nothing less, i cant see you as an american black anyhow since your bi racial(parent wise) it seems

is this all u got?

The Nigerian Village Square - Vacation Dispatch: A Taste of Black on Black Racism in Jamaica
this article a man from nigeria went to jamaica and was confused as a local

bold

Last edited by da jammer; 05-11-2008 at 06:16 PM..

Old 05-11-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraKGrisgby View Post
I've been in teaching so long that my students have been Negro, Afro-American, African-American and black. For a brief time, back when I was a teacher's assistant, they were colored. Nearly all of them call themselves black. When I asked why, they told me that they had African students in their classes and they didn't want to disrespect them. Honestly, I find the term African-American to be a little silly. How many centuries must a group of being be in this country before they are simply American?

it is an ethnic term not a nationalistic one, not a racial one damn!
also within the american black sect there a gullahs/geechee ppl

Ironically, they tend to call each other Negro, though I think it's in a comical kind of manner. One of my students tend to stroll in the class and call "Good morning, Negroes!"
we are american, i find it interesting that white people wonder why we call oureselves things.

is always american blacks who get accused or take the rap for something, thereare some japanese decendants(from the 1800's) who live in america who are called what? japanese

Old 05-11-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
I agree 100% with this op. People have asked me who I thought was the best looking AA actress and I always respond in kind, "Charlize Theron". Born and raised in SA emigrated to USA, the very definition of AA.

white people from south africa are south african not african in the sense but that nationality, it does not make them ethnically african or descend from ethnic african ppl. when an nigerian comes to the states he's nigerian-america, the term african american was made by american blacks not whites or blacks from modern day africa.

Also, about a year ago Sports Illustrated did a story on Ray Emery, the goalie for the Ottawa Senators, referring to him as the first African American to do such and such. Ray Emery was born and raised in Ontario, Canada.

it has nothing to do with us, maybe its what he/she told the press, it has nothing to do with us the **** ups of the media of someones ethnic or nationality do you care to post his response to it

mexicans born in america whether 2 or more than 10 generations are mexican 1st!

when it comes to nationality/ethnicity in america thats the way it works people define themselves by the name of their country their parents come from this is most prevelent in hispanic/latino(not racial) groups as well as asian(includes middle east) ones

HOW IS THERE IDENTIFICATION ANY DIFFERENT
Africa in the Americas [SIZE=1]4:10[/SIZE]
Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies