Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2012, 06:29 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,798,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Ancient Greece, I don't think so. Ancient Rome - sure. Two Emperors even got gay married in public ceremonies. Marriage to members of the same sex was banned in Rome by Constantius II (the 2nd Christian Emperor) in 342: he ordered people in such marriages be put to death.

Not sure what this has to do with civil marriage and equal treatment under US laws as required by our Constitution.
There was no same sex marriage in Rome. Show me the source of your knowledge

And you guys don't fall under traditional definitiinof marriage in Western culture, neither do polygamists. I can't marry my own mother even if I wanted but it has nothing to do with equality or discrimination, neither does so called same-sex marriage.
Same sex marriage is a travesty...

Old 07-25-2012, 06:31 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,105,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post

And you guys don't fall under traditional definitiinof marriage in Western culture, neither do polygamists. I can't marry my own mother even if I wanted but it has nothing to do with equality or discrimination.
So what? What does that have to do with our 14th Amendment and our civil, secular laws?

Last edited by hammertime33; 07-25-2012 at 06:59 PM..

Old 07-25-2012, 06:33 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,273,675 times
Quote:
Same-sex unions in premodern Europe - John Boswell - Google Books

Classics Newsletter Winter 2004

Old 07-25-2012, 06:58 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,391,422 times
Quote:
The word you're looking for, rebel12, is

Old 07-25-2012, 07:04 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,229,965 times
Family values this. Traditional values that.

That's all I ever hear from you people.

How about defining what those are for a change? Put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard) and actually quantify what exactly are these "sacred" and "mythical" values you cherish so much?

You demand homosexuals justify their life style with reasons and data. Well it's put up or shut up time - justify your stance and reasons by telling us what traditional family values are for once.

Shouldn't be difficult at all, right?

Old 07-25-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
The word you're looking for, rebel12, is
I have seen a lot of biased "pseudoscientific" work in my life. One more book is not going to make a difference. Neither in Roman or Greek tradition. Neither in later Christian tradition. Same sex marriage was never part of our tradition no matter what quacks with an agenda will try to tell us.

Same sex was never part of mainstream social life in any significant culture.
Same sex marriage goes against self preservation if the human kind as a species.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post

How about defining what those are for a change? Put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard) and actually quantify what exactly are these "sacred" and "mythical" values you cherish so much?

You demand homosexuals justify their life style with reasons and data. Well it's put up or shut up time - justify your stance and reasons by telling us what traditional family values are for once.

Shouldn't be difficult at all, right?
We don't have to, we are not the ones looking to change the status quo, to change the tradition.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:38 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,391,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post

Intolerance?

It would explain everything! Families are often more intolerant of those outside of the family than of family members; hence, intolerance would be a "family value". It is also tradition for people to be intolerant of others who are different. Hence, a "traditional value". And I would concede even without them providing evidence (which, of course, they are averse to) that homosexuals generally aren't the leaders in intolerance. They are sooooo falling behind on this sacred family value

Last edited by Vic 2.0; 07-25-2012 at 07:52 PM..

Old 07-25-2012, 07:47 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,105,768 times
Quote:
We don't have to, we are not the ones looking to change the status quo, to change the tradition.
No, you're the ones supporting unconstitutional laws.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:56 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,840,372 times
from link:

Quote:
Both highly praised and intensely controversial, this brilliant book produces dramatic evidence that at one time the Catholic and Eastern Orthodox churches not only sanctioned unions between partners of the same sex, but sanctified them--in ceremonies strikingly similar to heterosexual marriage ceremonies.
so this is not really saying anything - just a brief summary of what the book is about, and even that says it is highly controversial.

have you actually read this book, and can you provide more detail?

quite likely that the author is homoxexual too, so no doubt biased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies