Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2012, 10:48 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,836,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
Research and history proves otherwise. The history and literary research article pointed to SEVERAL stories and sabout the acceptance of Homosexual marriages in Roman culture, and pointed straight at Emperor Nero who widely accepted an even allowed it to happen
of course it is rather ironic, and hypocritical to put forward this claim considering own favorite form of attack.

haven't I heard your camp repeat, ad nauseum, a similar line somewhere about another book?

so, 2000 year old Roman culture is an acceptable source, yet the Bible isn't - please explain.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:50 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,325,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
I answered that question in the part of the quote you 'conveniently' left out.

it's all about symbolism.
I'm sorry, but your "symbolism" makes no sense. If a gay couple cannot get married because they lack the ability to have sex with each-other and bare an offspring naturally, then all married heterosexual couples should be required by law to have sex with each-other and bare offspring, if they refuse to then their marriage is a fraud and should be held accountable under the penalty of perjury according to the law.

What none of you anti-same sex and anti gay couple adoption people don't understand is that Freedom is the greatest principle this country has. This is a country of inclusiveness; a law that prohibits any member of society, the American society, from being denied any human activity that is granted to other members of society is unconstitutional and if you want to go this direction, it's also a disgrace to any and all religions that claims to be a religion of peace and equality.

Every human has the right to do what any other human is allowed to do regardless of race, ethnic background, gender, sexual orientation, or religion. It is our constitutional right as Americans and it is our natural right as human beings. We are all human, in this way we are as equal as we can be. We CHOOSE to be different by the color of our skin, our gender, our ethnic backgrounds, our religions, economic standings, educational backgrounds, and yes our sexuality. This is ridiculous. How can we, a country that is so strongly inclusive, be so focused on our differences that we desire to pass laws declining another American, another human the same rights we desire to have ourselves?

Old 07-25-2012, 10:54 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,268,742 times
Quote:
of course it is rather ironic, and hypocritical to put forward this claim considering own favorite form of attack.
this makes no sense. The claim was that Romans didn't accept homosexual marriages. I pointed out that in fact they did. An entire book and research article shows that they did. There is literature from that era that even describes homosexual marriage ceremonies in great detail.

Quote:
haven't I heard your camp repeat, ad nauseum, a similar line somewhere about another book?
WTF are you talking about?

Quote:
so, 2000 year old Roman culture is an acceptable source, yet the Bible isn't - please explain.
Fail. You can't even follow a conversation.

And the Roman Culture proceeded the advent of Christianity by nearly 2000 years.

And I don't even know why you would use the Bible. Its a book of fairy tales about imaginary beings, a benevolent and mean deity and his child like temper tantrums.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
We don't have to, we are not the ones looking to change the status quo, to change the tradition.
There is no status quo if you do not explain what these values are. If we have no basis for traditional family values, then they don't exist.

What are traditional family values? If you can't explain or define what they are then they do not exist and therefore nothing can violate them.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:09 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,227,364 times
Anyone going to answer the question I presented earlier? About the traditional family values?

I'm actually quite serious - if the Conservatives/Republicans can provide what they feel defines these values, then we can finally settle what traditional family values are to them.

It's really not that hard since you people want to push it all the time - if you're so eager to defend it then why can't you quantify it and define it?

You don't like being under the microscope and having your views and life style scrutinized? Imagine how everyone else feels when you all do the exact same thing to them.

Now - what are traditional family values to you? I'll provide a format that you *can* use, but don't have to:

Old 07-25-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
from link:

so this is not really saying anything - just a brief summary of what the book is about, and even that says it is highly controversial.

have you actually read this book, and can you provide more detail?

quite likely that the author is homoxexual too, so no doubt biased.
He was not only homosexual, but also a devout daily-mass Catholic. He probably read the bible more than you ever did and has gone to church more times then you ever will.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:10 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,836,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
Every human has the right to do what any other human is allowed to do regardless of race, ethnic background, gender, sexual orientation, or religion.
So does that mean I can get a job as a female lingerie model then?

otherwise, I would have to complain about discrimination.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:11 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,796,043 times
Quote:

I specifically posted links to refute your claims that the Roman culture didn't observe Homosexual marriages.
Roman culture did not know the institution of gay marriage. There are many book written on ancient Greece. I have never come across any claims or examples of gay marriage in any of them.

Quote:
The Ancient Greeks would have a word with you on that. In fact, the Olympiad, a respectable event that is celebrated throughout the world, in Acient Greece, allowed the practice of Homosexuality amongst the athletes..
Again. Was there same sex marriage in Greece? No. What was your point again?

Old 07-25-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Not at all difficult.

for a start, we should have mommy and daddy bringing up baby.

A homosexual 'marriage' is just 2 single people living together.
Now I understand why they teach logic in school. You apparently skipped that class.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:12 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,796,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post

What are traditional family values? If you can't explain or define what they are then they do not exist and therefore nothing can violate them.
Number 1: marriage is an union between man and a woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies