Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2012, 11:14 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,329,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
No I but I read many, many books about ancient history due to my major.
In Rome the whole notion of being efeminate was considered conduct unbeckoming. There was what we would call now gay sex of course, but never in a context of law sanctioned union. Romans where very strict when it comes to sex and promiscuity. Really. It's very sad when scientist are biased.
Keep studying, but not just religiously biased texts. Are you by chance studying history in a Christian college? Cause if you actually did study history, like I do, you would know that Homosexual marriage was not uncommon in many ancient civilizations. It was only demonized by the Christian church as Rome became more and more stupid by following the bible.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:16 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,054,239 times
Quote:
Number 1: marriage is an union between man and a woman.
The question really becomes, what makes the set of man and woman superior in the government eye's in regards to marriage, since the government does not recognize children as a requirement to wed, therefore children are irrelevant to the recognition of marriage.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:16 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,844,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
He was not only homosexual, but also a devout daily-mass Catholic. He probably read the bible more than you ever did and has gone to church more times then you ever will.
So he was biased then.

He has his own personal agenda.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:18 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,233,758 times
Alright gonna fix the format here.

Ahem:

"To me, these are some examples of what I feel are traditional, family values. I cherish and uphold the following:

These are what I feel are important to the fabric of American society and allowing homosexuals to marry will destroy this."

There not so hard now is it?

Old 07-25-2012, 11:21 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,844,940 times
is this the point where you simply re-post the same thing over and over again?

No doubt it probably is.

2. Child should be brought up by natural mother and father.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:21 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,280,281 times
Quote:
Roman culture did not know the institution of gay marriage.
What are you talking about? did you even bother to read the links (don't have to answer, we know you didn't)

The research article poured through Roman literature and found detailed descriptions of ceremonies uniting Homosexual couples.

Marriage as a word is a modern invention, but the ceremony and idea has long existed before the term came into existence.

so the institution of "marriage" has long existed before the 'common' word came into existence.

Quote:
There are many book written on ancient Greece. I have never come across any claims or examples of gay marriage in any of them.
You apparently are not looking in the right places. I've already linked to one book that covers all of Pre-Modern Europe (hint; Italy/Rome and Greece are in Europe) and it showcases various literature and research that support that homosexual unions were performed, accepted and even encouraged.

not our problem that you are unwilling to do the research.

There are these buildings in cities, they are called libraries. They contain massive amounts of books. Maybe you should go visit them sometime.

Quote:
Again. Was there same sex marriage in Greece? No. What was your point again?
Your statement : "Same sex was never part of mainstream social life in any significant culture."

No where in that statement was marriage mentioned. I answered that in Ancient Greek, homosexual relations was often accepted and encouraged. The Olympiad was one of those times where same sex relations happened often.

And homosexual unions did happen in Greece.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Number 1: marriage is an union between man and a woman.

a modern concept. before, marriage was the union of one man and many wives. Before that it was just so that the man could own a woman.

We can go on and on about how marriage has no traditional meanings.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:23 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,329,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
So he was biased then.

He has his own personal agenda.
A persons work isn't considered bias if their findings is based on facts and evidence. You base some of your arguments on the bible, isn't the bible just someones own personal agenda?

Old 07-25-2012, 11:24 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,233,758 times
Quote:

No doubt it probably is.

Only if you or anyone else ducks and dodges the question I am posing.

All I am asking is that you use the form I provided (or come up with one of your own) and tell us what traditional, family values are.

These vaunted, divine, mythical things are always thrown around yet are never defined. You expect others who you don't agree with to justify their lifestyle - now it's your turn to justify what you hold so near and dear to your precious, little heart.

Do you mean to tell me that you can't provide with at least 4 simple things that are considered traditional, family values to you?

Old 07-25-2012, 11:24 PM

Quote:

No doubt it probably is.

So, a child who is adopted is what?

A child that was conceived through invitro is what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies