Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 09:56 AM

2,920 posts, read 2,798,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
To be honest, I could care less who is on welfare. When someone says the word "welfare" the image I get isn't the one that article suggests, what I picture is a single mother of four boys waiting in line with her food-stamps, her head is down and she won't make eye contact with anyone. Or I picture the same single mother setting up a food pickup from the food bank. Too embarased to have it dropped off at her home, she meets the delivery driver in some side street across town. It's sad that we have to feel ashamed just doing what is right by our children. The single mother of four, was my mother. Why did she have to feel ashamed? All she was doing was feeding her children.
No, the state was feeding her children. No reason to be ashamed but nothing to be proud of either.
Now I meet see a lot of women in good clothes buying not the cheapest stuff in a pretty expensive supermarket and then paying with the benefit card. People just learned to milk the system. Most of these ladies, at least where I live, are Spanish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 10:27 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The reason Blacks are voting this way goes beyond the first Black president. It goes back to the 1960s when Blacks were given the right to vote, and that right was protected, by former President Lyndon B. Johnson. Barry Goldwater was against it. Richard Nixon used the Southern Strategy, and Ronald Reagan didn't suppose the Civil Rights Act.
Your explanation is more apt for describing the shift in voting patterns of white southerns than African Americans who began to shift to the Democratic Party during Depression but it wasn't a fait accompli until after the Presidency of Harry Truman.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:56 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Your explanation is more apt for describing the shift in voting patterns of white southerns than African Americans who began to shift to the Democratic Party during Depression but it wasn't a fait accompli until after the Presidency of Harry Truman.
True. I also notice that Blacks voting for the GOP went to a low point around 1968. One thing to consider is that most Blacks in the USA couldn't vote until 1964. Blacks may have began voting Democratic during the Great Depression. However, there were still a relatively high number of Blacks voting for the GOP until the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

I can understand what you mean about white Southerners voting Republican starting in the late 1960's. This is when some GOP politicians started using the Southern Strategy. It appealed to southern Whites who were upset by the Civil Rights measures. The GOP had a relatively sizeable Black vote until the 1960s. I would say that more Blacks were able to vote after 1964. With more Blacks being able to vote, more voted Democrat.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:06 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,326,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
No, the state was feeding her children. No reason to be ashamed but nothing to be proud of either.
Now I meet see a lot of women in good clothes buying not the cheapest stuff in a pretty expensive supermarket and then paying with the benefit card. People just learned to milk the system. Most of these ladies, at least where I live, are Spanish.
IF you want to get technical about it, the people were feeding her children. My mom worked a full time job and went to school. She hand made her own clothes because it was a lot cheaper. What was she supposed to do, give up her children? Nothing to be proud of? I beg to differ. I think that sometimes, admitting that you need help and asking for it is hard to do. She worked her backside off and still couldn't make enough money. My mom was most definitely not milking the system.

Just because you see some people in nice clothes buying the expensive stuff and junk food doesn't mean they all do it. Do you know how every person is paying for groceries? I have gotten some pretty good clothes from thrift stores and other discount stores. I have several jacket that should have cost me well over $200 each, yet I paid on average $5-$10. Same goes for all other clothes I have. I love shopping at the discount and second hand stores, I can find all the latest high end clothing and not pay the same as most idiots out there.

As each of us came of working age we would all start working to help out. Our entire check would go towards paying bills and putting food on the table.

I can imagine you sit there and watch these Spanish ladies check, you sit there analyzing everything they buy.

I use food stamps right now. I lost my job 4 months ago and can't find work. I was denied unemployment for invalid reasons, it would be too costly to fight it. So I just went and got food stamps. I get $200.00 a month, I bet most people think I should be buying top raman, and canned veggies. I should be buying the cheap processed crap. Well, I don't. Because it is far more cheaper to buy the spices, veggies, rice, noodles, and meat. I shop at the high end stores and buy fresh. Unlike my mother, I don't hold my head down in shame. I can't say that I am proud, but I am most definitely not embarrassed. I worked my ass off for the past 16 years and this is what I get for it. I paid the taxes that pay for these benefits.

So, unless you know all the details...shut it. Go back to your lattes and bibles and leave people be.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
IF you want to get technical about it, the people were feeding her children. My mom worked a full time job and went to school. She hand made her own clothes because it was a lot cheaper. What was she supposed to do, give up her children? Nothing to be proud of? I beg to differ. I think that sometimes, admitting that you need help and asking for it is hard to do. She worked her backside off and still couldn't make enough money. My mom was most definitely not milking the system.

Just because you see some people in nice clothes buying the expensive stuff and junk food doesn't mean they all do it. Do you know how every person is paying for groceries? I have gotten some pretty good clothes from thrift stores and other discount stores. I have several jacket that should have cost me well over $200 each, yet I paid on average $5-$10. Same goes for all other clothes I have. I love shopping at the discount and second hand stores, I can find all the latest high end clothing and not pay the same as most idiots out there.

As each of us came of working age we would all start working to help out. Our entire check would go towards paying bills and putting food on the table.

I can imagine you sit there and watch these Spanish ladies check, you sit there analyzing everything they buy.

I use food stamps right now. I lost my job 4 months ago and can't find work. I was denied unemployment for invalid reasons, it would be too costly to fight it. So I just went and got food stamps. I get $200.00 a month, I bet most people think I should be buying top raman, and canned veggies. I should be buying the cheap processed crap. Well, I don't. Because it is far more cheaper to buy the spices, veggies, rice, noodles, and meat. I shop at the high end stores and buy fresh. Unlike my mother, I don't hold my head down in shame. I can't say that I am proud, but I am most definitely not embarrassed. I worked my ass off for the past 16 years and this is what I get for it. I paid the taxes that pay for these benefits.

So, unless you know all the details...shut it. Go back to your lattes and bibles and leave people be.
Lattes and bibles? That's offensive.
I am only sharing an observation that a large part of population learned how to milk the system and use public assistance as a supplementary income for which we all pay though our taxes. That's a problem with all government help programs, there will always be people who abuse it. It's designed to help those in dire straights and not to help make payments on a brand new car. There are people who dont get married so they can claim being single parents and receive assistance, there are people who work under the table and use public assistance strictly as a supplementary income. There is a lot of abuse of public money.

If we are talking about race issues lets not forget that whites take about 50% of all public assistance while being a 70% majority: it seem that whites are paying for everybody else. Is that fair?
Nobody ever publishes data like race breakdown of public assistance recipients and race breakdown of tax payers but I bet whites contribute much more than they take.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMtn View Post

Do you know of any more recent study? This data is over 10 years old...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies