Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 08:57 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,903,846 times

Advertisements

What happened to the narrative that the entire country has changed and wants more government control on firearms and their use?.... Seems to be proving to be a fallacy....

Majority of Americans support 'Stand Your Ground' laws: poll - U.S. News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 09:12 AM

808 posts, read 663,062 times
it's obvious.

but the obama government and it's worshiper wingnuts do not.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:17 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
I don't support them and I'm not an Obama worshiper wingnut either.

We already have self defense laws (you know the same on Zimmerman used) and I just don't feel there is a need for SYG laws. People are always going to be afraid of someone else and maybe for no particular reason.

I remember once a girl said she thought my sister and I were going to beat her up because we were taking a jog down the street in her direction. With SYG, she could have shot us and been "well within her rights" since she "felt threatened."

Self defense is enough and there is no need for SYG laws.

It is obvious that people who support them are afraid of everyone and everything and fall for the media trap that everyone and everything is out to get you.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:20 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,117,283 times
Why on Earth are people supporting a law that gives everyday citizens more leeway to use lethal force than we give cops?

Old 08-02-2013, 09:22 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,433,104 times
I'd be willing to bet that a good percentage of those who support it have a poor interpretation of the law and will inevitably rationalize their abuse of SYG when the occasion arises.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:34 AM

808 posts, read 663,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Why on Earth are people supporting a law that gives everyday citizens more leeway to use lethal force than we give cops?
because it is a GOOD LAW

Old 08-02-2013, 09:37 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,117,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vox populi View Post
because it is a GOOD LAW
Do you really believe that?

Old 08-02-2013, 09:37 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,374,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

We already have self defense laws (you know the same on Zimmerman used) and I just don't feel there is a need for SYG laws. People are always going to be afraid of someone else and maybe for no particular reason.

I remember once a girl said she thought my sister and I were going to beat her up because we were taking a jog down the street in her direction. With SYG, she could have shot us and been "well within her rights" since she "felt threatened."

It is obvious that people who support them are afraid of everyone and everything and fall for the media trap that everyone and everything is out to get you.
What is obvious is that most people who don't support them have no idea what they're talking about but vapidly believe everything the media tells them.

No she wouldn't, you clearly don't understand SYG laws. Claiming you "felt threatened" isn't enough, there has to actually be a threat of some kind as well. Jogging down the street would not be considered a threat by any reasonable person, which is the benchmark for all SYG and self defense laws.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:41 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,190,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

Are you just nuts? Do you think your hypothetical situation would have stood up in court with a jury? This girl "felt threatened" but was never confronted with an actual threat? By your standard, it seems a Facebook threat would be reason enough to shoot someone. We all know that would not happen.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:49 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,502,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Because law enforcement can't get there in time. (99% of the time)

"Everyday citizens" = law-abiding citizens

"Cops" = everyday, law-abiding, citizens with some training
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies