Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 05:24 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,697,263 times

Advertisements

Please join the stand your ground movement towards national coverage. Crime data indicates there are victims in every state and we should all stand together to protect our families and neighborhoods. Support the stand your ground laws today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 07:23 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,718,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
It was a law pushed by the NRA to increase the sale of guns. Just because there are people that think there is a need for such a law does not mean a damn thing because we are talknig about a a populace that actually is hooked on shows such as Honey Boo Boo. A dumbed down nation will buy into dumbed down legislation and anything else that the powers that be tell them that they need.
Which "it" are you referring to? With a quick search, I found the following list of states that have some form of a SYG law:

Alabama
Arizona
Florida
Georgia
Indiana
Kentucky
Louisiana
Mississippi
Montana
Nevada
New Hampshire
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
Tennessee
Texas
Utah

I'm not sure if the list is complete, in fact I don't believe it is. I'm fairly sure that the last number I heard was 22 states with some form of SYG law enacted. So, which of these laws was pushed by the NRA?

Old 08-07-2013, 09:22 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,223,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
We've already had gang members after a gang shootout avoid even being arrested b/c they successfully invoked SYG.
Because if members of Gang A start blasting away unprovoked at members of Gang B, and members of Gang B respond by shooting back, that's self defense by any reasonable definition of the word. They were in reasonable fear for their life.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:55 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Because if members of Gang A start blasting away unprovoked at members of Gang B, and members of Gang B respond by shooting back, that's self defense by any reasonable definition of the word. They were in reasonable fear for their life.

Association is not automatic guilt.
We are all individuals... That can be placed in any group to convict, if that were the case.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:00 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
What is obvious is that most people who don't support them have no idea what they're talking about but vapidly believe everything the media tells them.

No she wouldn't, you clearly don't understand SYG laws. Claiming you "felt threatened" isn't enough, there has to actually be a threat of some kind as well. Jogging down the street would not be considered a threat by any reasonable person, which is the benchmark for all SYG and self defense laws.
We don't agree with you, therefore we don't understand.
Got it.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:20 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,328,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I don't think SYG or even self-defense should be allowed when someone leaves the safety of their home to chase after someone they believe is a threat to their property or themselves.

That's going too far. If the potential criminal is fleeing from you, they are in no way an imminent danger to your well-being, and you can wait for the police to arrive.

That type of logic makes too much sense but it would hurt the prison industrial complex bottom line if people would not commit any crime either by shooting or getting shot

Old 08-08-2013, 05:22 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,043,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
We don't agree with you, therefore we don't understand.
Got it.
Actually you don't agree AND you don't understand.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
It was a law pushed by the NRA to increase the sale of guns. Just because there are people that think there is a need for such a law does not mean a damn thing because we are talknig about a a populace that actually is hooked on shows such as Honey Boo Boo. A dumbed down nation will buy into dumbed down legislation and anything else that the powers that be tell them that they need.

It is Fear Factor on a national scale. The politicians and lobbyist now realize that you can manipulate the country into passing and backing anything that involves fear of the unknown. The Patriot Act terrorified people from backwoods towns in the middle of nowhere into believing that the terrorist are going to bomb them because they do not like "freedom" and these frighten people willingly gave up a portion of their rights out of fear. The SYG laws pushed on two fronts, the NRA and the prison industrial complex to make money from people who are scared of people that do not look like them to buy and used guns and in many cases either the shooter or the shot will be spending time and money in the court/prison sytem as a result

Old 08-08-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
So I guess you'd agree that the poll that says 90% of the population wants Universal Background Checks is also flawed..... right?
Lets just look at poll done with the SYG

The rural states are more pro-gun and for some reason are under the belief that this administration will take them, eventhough SYG has nothing to do with that at all

Metropolitian areas tend not worry as much although there is a higher chance of being shot by someone. At the same token there also tend to be more diversity in larger cities, which there is a greater pool of people to fear.

Women as a whole tend to be against it and they make up over 50% of the population
More minorities are also against it then for it, which accounts for another 30% of the country

Going back to your original question, to a certain extent considering who and where they were polled. But truthfully there may be some validity in that number since many die hard NRA members agree that there should be better background checks. The only people that are seemily fighting them are the NRA executives who are funded by gun companies and lobbyist (ALEC)

Old 08-08-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Which "it" are you referring to? With a quick search, I found the following list of states that have some form of a SYG law:

Alabama
Arizona
Florida
Georgia
Indiana
Kentucky
Louisiana
Mississippi
Montana
Nevada
New Hampshire
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
Tennessee
Texas
Utah

I'm not sure if the list is complete, in fact I don't believe it is. I'm fairly sure that the last number I heard was 22 states with some form of SYG law enacted. So, which of these laws was pushed by the NRA?
The better question is which ones are pushed by ALEC. Is it my imagination or all of these states red states or at least controlled by a republican governor and legislators?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies