Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 01:36 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,607,531 times

Advertisements

I don't mean to be anti-pet or anti-animal. I've raised cattle, goats, and chickens; have owned several dogs; and have lived with up to 20 cats at a time. Animals are great.

Having said that, there are disturbing trends in America today. A growing segment of the population is vegetarian or vegan, generally because they don't want to participate in what they consider to be animal cruelty. And yet these same people are often militantly pro-"choice" when it comes to choosing to kill an unborn human child. One lady, a supporter of PETA, even told me that she hoped the human race would become extinct.

Pet funerals are a growing industry. There are more than 750 pet funeral homes, crematories, and cemeteries in America today. I kid you not.

While U.S. birthrates are plummeting, for the first time there are now more households with dogs than there are households with children.

What's going on here? It seems that Americans are actively, consciously, deliberately choosing pets over children. Make all the jokes you like, but it's no laughing matter when it comes to culture and demographics. The phenomenon is undoubtedly related to America's war against children - against their lives in the form of abortion; against their families in the form of promiscuity, co-habitation, divorce and homosexuality; and against their innocence in the form of our decadent popular culture. We want the companionship of dependent and sentient beings without the responsibility that comes with their being human.

Are Dogs Replacing Kids - YouTube

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 07-13-2012 at 01:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 01:43 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Most of the vegetarians and vegans I know are that way for health reasons, not necessarily animal cruelty. Although, I have noticed vegans tend to lean towards being anti-animal cruelty. Regardless, there is nothing wrong with being veg or vegan, and I don't understand what that has to do with being pro choice. I'm pro choice because it's not my place to force a woman into becoming a walking incubator against her will. If there wasn't another abortion ever, I'd be a happy camper, but I understand the need for them.

As for the pets thing... I think people are realizing they don't need children to be happy. Having children was a given and most people knew they were going to have a family because that's what women were supposed to do. If you were single/childless after a certain age you were seen as damaged. Men were 'confirmed bachelors' women were spinsters.

Now, that label has been dropped and people can focus on their own lives, make their own decisions and do things on their own terms. I find that pretty awesome. Pets can still provide companionship to those who may not want children or even a relationship. I love my dog, and I don't plan on having children.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:43 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,293,968 times
There are people that treat humans like pets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4RdPBImnuE

Old 07-13-2012, 01:51 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,075,469 times
Fewer couples are having children because it is no longer seen as a thing they MUST do, if they don't really want children, they don't.

Still too many are having children when they are not in a position emotionally or financially to do so.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:35 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
There are NOT too many pets in America......there are too many homeless and abused dogs and cats in America.

I am childless because I did not want children.

I have pets because a want pets.

Abortion, homosexuality, promisuity, divorce, etc. have NOTHING to do with my choice.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:46 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,530,629 times
I knew when I was a kid I never wanted kids when I grew up and now that I am well into my 50s, have no regrets. I've always had pets and will until I am to feeble to care for them. I think it is great that women no longer feel their only contribution to the planet is to have kids. Too many used to have them only because it was expected. The planet remains overpopulated and resources are limited. Pets are, in my opinion, the brightest part of any day. I wouldn't want to live without them. Kids, I can take in limited doses. They're great but always glad to see them go.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:07 AM

4,991 posts, read 4,505,887 times
There are 7 billion people on the planet. I think we're ok in the human department.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:11 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
"Disturbing." The most overused adjective on earth.

If more parents took their kids to obedience school, the world would be a better place.

I'll take my pets over kids any old day.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:20 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Its called a poor economy. Birth rates drop.

I'm no fan of PETA but they aren't the downfall of humanity, and their view on abortion is a completely different topic.

I think the government should leave an individuals choice alone. That would make me pro choice. Doesn't mean I like abortions, that I hope people get them, or that I am supporting the practice.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:22 AM

29,824 posts, read 24,913,395 times
I think in previous generations, raising children was something of an accomplishment. For some, it was almost like a duty to have children. At any rate, times have definitely changes. Look at the world we are living in. They say the world simply can't go on supporting generation after generation of exponentially growing population. That could be true. The country is broke. We seem to be loosing our status. Very uncertain times indeed. Jobs are scarce, money is often tight, job security is a thing of the past... Pretty soon, retirement will be a forgotten word. Wouldn't it make sense that not everybody wants to bring children into the world given the circumstances?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies