Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 10:41 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Christian Fascism Is Coming to a Public School Near You

The Good News Club — the organization, not the book — insinuates itself into public schools posing as an innocent after school Bible study group. They are backed by the CEF, the Child Evangelism Fellowship, an organization hell-bent — if you’ll excuse the pun — on breaking the public school system and bringing education back to homes and churches. They are Bible-believing Christians who believe America was founded on Christianity and it is their holy mission to bring the American people back to Christ.
Quote:
"It’s no different than the Lord’s Army in Africa. It’s no different than the Nazis wanting to start with the Hitler Youth. That is where you’d want to start if you were trying to build a fascist movement.”
Christian Fascism Is Coming to a Public School Near You | Friendly Atheist

Sorry if this is a duplicate thread, but I just heard the author interviewed on the radio and this was just fascinating and more than creepy. This groups tactics are unbelievable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 10:46 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,322,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Christian Fascism Is Coming to a Public School Near You | Friendly Atheist

Sorry if this is a duplicate thread, but I just heard the author interviewed on the radio and this was just fascinating and more than creepy. This groups tactics are unbelievable
Pot meet kettle.

Atty Says School Threatened, Punished Boy Who Opposed Gay Adoption | FOX News & Commentary: Todd Starnes

Old 01-25-2012, 10:48 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Teaching kids, or anybody else, that there is no Salvation outside Jesus Christ isn't a Fascist doctrine. It's what the Bible clearly says, whether anybody wants to believe that or not.

However, that does not give anyone leave to teach anything more than that nor to do it deceptively.

Those outside the faith, and a good many within it, should never, EVER confuse Evangelism with Evangelicalism. They are not the same thing.

Evangelism is our Christ-commanded commission to take the Gospel of Jesus Christ into all the world. Evangelicalism is a political construct largely based on the errant belief that believers must first create the Kingdom of God here on earth before Jesus can return. It's an insidious false doctrine which even many believers do not question because they do not know what it is or truly understand their own scriptures.

Stuff like this thread is about is driven more by Evangelicalism than by Evangelism and it should not be used to judge the whole faith.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:49 AM

428 posts, read 487,122 times
I read that blog post (and the related one on that site). It pains me to know that groups like CEF are actively pursuing young children to become future puppets of Christianity. Did you read the Statement of Faith their teachers must swear to uphold? It's sickeningly full of unnecessary fear mongering that breeds hate, just like much of the Bible.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:56 AM

7,725 posts, read 12,618,642 times
I'm sure with the loony left in power, they won't be getting anywhere anytime soon. American public schools would sooner embrace Islamic idealogy than anything that has to do with Christianity. It's no wonder public schools have been on rapid decline since corporal punishment and the 10 commandments were taken out. Private and home-schooled students (who are usually Catholic or Christian) constantly out-rate and out-do public school students in every way. The only assault on America's children is from the nuts on the left that have ruined them.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notyouraveragebear View Post
I read that blog post (and the related one on that site). It pains me to know that groups like CEF are actively pursuing young children to become future puppets of Christianity. Did you read the Statement of Faith their teachers must swear to uphold? It's sickeningly full of unnecessary fear mongering that breeds hate, just like much of the Bible.

That's just very basic Christian theology and hardly unique to this group. In fact, if their statement of faith didn't say that, they'd be suspect.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:00 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I'm sure with the loony left in power, they won't be getting anywhere anytime soon. American public schools would sooner embrace Islamic idealogy than anything that has to do with Christianity. It's no wonder public schools have been on rapid decline since corporal punishment and the 10 commandments were taken out. Private and home-schooled students (who are usually Catholic or Christian) constantly out-rate and out-do public school students in every way. The only assault on America's children is from the nuts on the left that have ruined them.

Since you associate loony with the left, based on the bolded statement I can only assume you've gone so far left you're on the right fringe.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:00 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,771,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
And what exactly is the difference between your corrupt brand of Christianity and Islamic extremism?

Old 01-25-2012, 11:01 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,014,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notyouraveragebear View Post

It's happening at West Point as well; there's a great book by Michael Weinstein (who served in the Reagan admin) called With God On Our Side.

[quote]
Weinstein's ire was provoked when, contrary to his assumptions that the religious and constitutional climate at USAFA had improved since leaving USAFA, his younger son Curtis, an Academy cadet, was exposed to Christian proselytizing of an insultingly patronizing and anti-Semitic nature, including questions from upperclassmen inquiring "How it felt to kill Jesus". The hegemony of evangelical intolerance at the Academy was also confirmed by Weinstein older son Casey, a 2004 Academy graduate, who alleges that "Senior cadets would sit down and say, 'How do you feel about the fact that your family is going to burn in hell?'".[5] This galvanized Weinstein into challenging the perceived religious intolerance present within the ranks of the military in general and the US Air Force Academy in particular; Weinstein later recounted in his autobiography, "It is naturally of great personal consequence that Curtis's and Casey's encounters with religious bigotry occurred at the Academy, which is where I first encountered it as well. Of course, from a historical perspective, Jews have always had the unfortunate role of scapegoat thrust upon them. But I'm under no illusions that what happened to my Jewish sons and my Christian daughter-in-law could not have happened to the son of a patriotic American Muslim or Buddhist or agnostic or atheist. I wouldn't be surprised if it already had." [end quote]

Michael L. Weinstein - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-25-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
And what exactly is the difference between your corrupt brand of Christianity and Islamic extremism?

My brand? Not me, brother. MY brand of fundamentalist Christianity is focused on loving God with all my heart, soul and strength and loving others as I love myself. That's what Jesus told us to do. That's REAL Christian fundamentalism!

He did NOT tell us to sit in judgment of others, to build His kingdom on earth or to hate people because they're sinners. If you want to know why folks who claim to be Christian's can be like that, you'll have to ask them.

And, no, I don't see much difference between them and the Taliban either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies