Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 05:10 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,587,196 times

Advertisements

Since the United States is one of the most religious developed country in the world with only 1-3% of the population being atheists/agnostic (Yes, 16% are not members of any religion, but that does not mean they do not believe in God), and this nation being 80% Christian and over 90% believe in God. On top of having very religious people, including large part of the nation being part of the 'Bible Belt', 'In God We Trust' as national motto, religion being part of the politics and daily life - Will Atheism be possibly illegal in the future?

Many young people still are very religious, and in this bad economy many people seek faith and comfort, and many people go to church for help.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:15 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,086,773 times
No, this isn't the 1600's. More people are turning away from religion IMO.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:15 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,466,947 times
Even so, some prominent politicians have openly declared that atheists are not real Americans.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:19 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,086,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Even so, some prominent politicians have openly declared that atheists are not real Americans.
I don't consider Bush a prominent politician.
And if I'm not American...I'm not paying anymore taxes......

Old 10-01-2012, 05:22 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,980 times
Nope - we value freedom of and from religion. The only reason this would ever change is if Christian fundamentalists were to gain a majority and overturn our freedoms. I, for one, am not going to let this happen. If you want to turn the US into a theocrazy (yes, that's intentional), then the US is not the right place. If that's what you want, you clearly don't understand our values and principles as they extend to EVERYONE and not just people of your particular creed.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:36 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,146,728 times
This is ridiculous. The only people who really want to ban things are the liberal atheists. Christian conservatives (not talking about the crazy bible beaters) believe in the Constitution, and it clearly states that you can believe whatever the hell you want. So, no.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:52 PM

429 posts, read 654,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Since the United States is one of the most religious developed country in the world with only 1-3% of the population being atheists/agnostic (Yes, 16% are not members of any religion, but that does not mean they do not believe in God), and this nation being 80% Christian and over 90% believe in God. On top of having very religious people, including large part of the nation being part of the 'Bible Belt', 'In God We Trust' as national motto, religion being part of the politics and daily life - Will Atheism be possibly illegal in the future?

Many young people still are very religious, and in this bad economy many people seek faith and comfort, and many people go to church for help.
Your bold underlined point is contradictory. Agnostics are defined as people who do not rule out a God but just don't believe in any organized religion.

There are also many people out there that say the belong to an organized religion (such as my father is a "catholic") yet never goes to church and even told me he found it all to be BS. He just does it out of ritual and family tradition, so he would end up on stats as "Catholic". I actually have many "Catholic" friends that I drank around the camp fire with and after 6 beers they pretty much reveal they think it is all BS. The whole 90% believe in God could mean so many different things that it is pointless on paper. I am sure some think of Jerry Garcia as their "God", do they count in that 90%?

Point is, those stats mean nothing. Generation Y is the least religious generation (yet this may change as they age). But organized religion will slowly go in the ways of Europe in the future IMO.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:54 PM

33,557 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post

A trolling thread if ever I saw one...

Old 10-01-2012, 05:58 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,986,643 times

Old 10-01-2012, 06:10 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
That's probably because "real Americans" are plastic people.

Superficially...

Mircea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies