Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 07:33 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Where is the pride? Has nobody any shame anymore? How do you face your loved ones, and how do you live within your conscience. I've been working since I was 13 years old. To each their own I suppose.
Pfffft...nonsense. Half the folks on assistance said the same thing at one time.

Get off your high horse. For all we know, you're on welfare right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 07:46 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Team Hoyt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Repeat after me Rick Hoyt. He is a parapeligic, who can't even speak and is confined to a wheelchair. Yet he still manages to go to work everyday and live life. The young lady at the Target by my home has cerebral palsy and works the cash register. These people inspire me, and should inspire a lazy, excuse making, pansy society that gets weaker by the day. Go throw your grace of God bs at someone else. Being graceful is going out and giving your all everyday, and not expecting anything from anybody else. Real grace is giving not taking.
How's the air up there? A bit thin I would imagine.

My daughter, a single parent, has permanent nerve damage as well as to her spine and neck because of a certified psycho who put her in such fear that if she ever spoke about what he was doing to her he would kill me and my mother. He beat the crap out of her - physically, emotionally and mentally. Yeah, she went on government assistance. And you know what, she took what I put into the system over the 42 years that I worked.

How pious of you. Real grace is not passing judgment and looking down on people you know nothing about.

Sorry about your illness. It must terrible to be consumed by bitterness.
I was also in a domestic violence situation during the time I was on assistance, and in severe chronic pain and deaf as a result. For what adds up to several months, I was bed-ridden because she would beat me so badly. At one point she even broke my hand while I was already deaf and blind. And there are some other worse things I can't talk about either.

Even with all that happening, I was still applying for jobs.

She's actually the one that wanted me to apply long before I wanted to, but I eventually had to swallow my pride and apply because I was applying and applying for jobs and not getting hired, and we ran out of savings. I got emergency food stamps when we were literally out of money and SSI came through later.

I did eventually get two part-time jobs, but they didn't pay enough on their own to feed my ex and roommate, who was also job searching but had a difficult time keeping a job longer than two weeks due to his Asperger's Syndrome. I reported my hours to social security despite the fact it meant getting half of what I made docked from my SSI check (after the first $60).

As soon as I ran away from that situation and got a job that paid better, I closed my case.

You never know what someone might be going through that requires them to apply for assistance. Yes, there are abusers and lifers, who choose to live on benefits while making zero attempt to actually apply for their own job. There are people who have no true disability or a very mild one who could find work if they tried a bit harder. But not everyone who gets assistance falls into that category, and there are people who truly need that safety net to fall back on.

The alternatives are suicide and homelessness, and probably also crime. Is that really what you want to reduce people to, OP? Wouldn't it be better to just have money there for people so that they can climb their way back up to being a contributor to society and the economy? Would you rather have people fall and stay on the ground struggling, or help them up, so that they can then get back on their own two feet?

I am only here today, off assistance, in college, planning on going into a professional field, and have the chance to make a positive contribution because government assistance helped me climb out of that hole.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:36 PM

109 posts, read 168,180 times
I have a very nice co worker-she has a management position and her hubby has a good paying job..She was quite disappointed when she applied for WIC and was told she made too much money...All of her friends and family get WIC, and she should to..Even if they all make a million dollars-a right of passage she said...Then I also read a mom's message board-daily there is a new thread asking questions about how they can get assistance or complaining it's not enough...Many times I will ask them why are you having children when you can't afford to feed yourself. They get very defensive but I think it's a valid point...Some of them have jobs but still, they shouldn't be having children. It's one thing if they get sick or lose their jobs, but they get pregnant counting on WIC, medicaid, cash, housing, food stamps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies