Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 01:02 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,933 times

Advertisements

Seriously? So what are they supposed to do? Have a dance off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 01:15 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
You're right, despite his follow up paragraph, the anomalies present in Maxwell's equations, and the possibility of ending our reliance on non-renewable resources, we should just bury our heads in the sand and continue on the same path.

Because hey, some guy on the internet that didn't even bother to research the equations says it's all bull****. Sure, Nobel Prize winning physicists like Richard Feynman indicate that such things are possible, but then again, some guy on the internet said it wasn't. What the hell do they know?
You have no clue what I've researched and haven't so you can stop right there. You call it head-in-the-sand, I call it not willing to jump off a bridge for things that are theoretically possible. You're welcome to jump off the bridge so don't let me stop you. Donate all your belonging to help pay off the national debt before you do so please.

There are far more pressing issues facing this country which are directly in your face right now than worry about things that may or may not be possible 100 or 1,000 years in the future.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:27 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,301,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
You have no clue what I've researched and haven't so you can stop right there. You call it head-in-the-sand, I call it not willing to jump off a bridge for things that are theoretically possible. You're welcome to jump off the bridge so don't let me stop you. Donate all your belonging to help pay off the national debt before you do so please.

There are far more pressing issues facing this country which are directly in your face right now than worry about things that may or may not be possible 100 or 1,000 years in the future.
There are more pressing issues than alternative energy sources and/or terrorists possessing weapon systems capable of wide spread destruction that could cost the United States economy billions of dollars, and the lives of American citizens?

What's more pressing? Gay sex?

You can say something like medical coverage, but how do you expect to power the facilities or conduct daily business without alternative energy sources?

I think there is no question alternative energy should be the number one priority. Do you disagree?

And who says this won't be possible for 100 years? You? Some guy on the internet?

Old 07-20-2012, 01:44 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,469,400 times
I bet you nukes will be used again. Not by us, though.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:36 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Only because Hitler himself saw the horrors of poison gas in WWI.
So did my grandfather, hastening his departure of Germany post ww1 in middle age and arriving in America as an illegal immigrant. He was so scarred by horrors it profoundly changed the direction of his life. He left responding to the Hitler climate on the wall and was at high risk of being conscripted against his will. His career in academia witnessed his colleagues & students evaporated by various methods. He became a devout pacifist, invested his life work in constructive activities, but there remained a darkness that haunted him. He refused to discuss any of the ordeal with family other than my grandmother to his grave. These sketch stories are second hand from her. Out of a stoic sense of protecting us, he was tight lipped about the face of evil. Hannah Arendt's work did his speaking for him. Post WW2 GI's returning to America also came home tight lipped- some of them hard hearted to their detriment, and to the detriment of families.

No matter Hitler past tense or America present tense, vengeance is a weak position for righteous combat. So too are all the other 7 deadly sins. Debasing professional military as soldiers of fortune destroys a nation from within. Look again at peace activists. They're crudely defending the integrity of armed forces from nefarious forces hijacking the nobility of men. So much for the 'evil hippie' trope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
not true.
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. ~George Santayana

Old 07-20-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Allen 242 View Post
Sadly the next world war will no doubt include genocide, chemical weapons, and colonial expansion. In truth, it should involve nuclear engagement.
Colonial expansion is too cumbersome because it's obliged to be accountable for itself. The real dominion over men undermining the purpose of good governance of sovereigns is achieved through monetary system control. In that way, a corrupt commodities market, with the help of a corporation like Monsanto, can inflict itself on all humanity tampering with food supply quality and quantity all the while having their victims paying for the bullets shooting them. They also manipulate a world where it's not possible for them to lose no matter the destruction inflicted on the masses. Others carry their luggage for them. All reward, no liability/ responsibility. Leeches of good will of men set to drain.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:59 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Maybe I'm wrong (although I know I have lots of company) but I feel like WW3 is nearly upon us (if not already here in the early stages), based on our unusually clever and quiet tactical conquering of the Middle East to the detriment of competing powers like Russia and China, as well as the timing of it all.

God I hope I'm wrong!

Anyway, my REAL question... Would it be humanly possible to experience another war on the scale of the last world war without anyone using nuclear weapons?

Or is it hoping for the proverbial "pie in the sky"?
No. If a nation has EVERYTHING at stake, they will resort to nukes. If powers are engaging in "neutral countries" outside of national borders, it is possible that a "global war" would not involve nukes.

Nukes are a great deterrent. Think of how many wars there would have been since ww2 without them. In spite of the real danger of mutual destruction, nukes make nations consider thier actions very, very carefully before acting.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
It could happen without nuclear weapons ever directly killing anyone.

EMP bombs detonated over any country would instantly take them back to the year 1850.
That would be a choice tool of avarice to weaken a people undermining order/ justice servicing an agenda of mass economic enslavement. See regional masses exploited/ trapped in Grapes of Wrath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Not just any country, only the post-industrialized ones that rely heavily on things electronic and electrical. There would be many countries that would have no real problems if a massive solar flare occurred or an EMP attack.

Unfortunately if you're reading this you're most likely in one that would be affected.
True and untrue. It would emasculate any sovereigns ability to effectively govern, so even third world already struggling to survive, could have their only protector disabled. No system of governance, is currently operating on discrete self sufficient systems like old time bucket brigades. If the massive power outages of rural regions of Appalachia & it's struggle to cope without fleeing aren't proof enough of that, I don't know what more evidence I could dig up to prove the point. How many individual citizens on the globe have direct control over their water supply needs? I'd venture to guess less than 1% even in the most rural undeveloped areas because it's a resource individuals compete over.

The bait for avarice has more to do with the size & nature of the booty. The cost benefit analysis. It's more economical to steal diamonds in Africa than it is from a jeweler in NYC. Sci fi in the context of philosophical war games exercise: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borg_(Star_Trek)
Transnational corporations are a threat when no ethic and no government restrains them. They are at their zenith of threat when they position themselves controlling governments by proxy. If it's cost effective to harvest the utility of electronics, they will refrain from EMP bombs. If it's not, they will implement them.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
you people do realize that in the case of all out world war, not only are the nuclear weapons a threat!!!! but all of the nuclear power plants would be huge targets,, just a thought,?? take a look at japan's fukushima spent fuel ponds, they alone have enough poison to kill everybody on the planet,, the fuel pool number 4 has plutonium in it, if it were targeted with a misile it would send a huge cloud of radiation across the pacific right into the west coast of america and beyond..fukushima has 6 reactors and 6 spent fuel ponds. with a total of like 4000 tones of spent fuel rods,, and thats just the fukushima facilitiy.. japan has 52 reactors and as many fuel ponds.. not to mention our own country, and france and other nuclear powered countries etc.. remember in world war two there were no nuclear facilities to be targeted,, war on a global scale nowdays would be a whole new ball game!!!
Nukes as bombs yield what fruit and benefit whom? Nuke material is a commodity. If I wanted to kill you, shall I use a gun or a gold brick risking loss of that gold brick? Avarice will win that argument, with the rest of us having secondary benefit of being spared it's infliction.

Nuke material is a liability and it is 'gold' for it's energy market potential. Fukishima, like any other reactor, is a potent target, true. Not a target of avarice, but a target by those who haven't anything to lose. The suicide runner. Nuke material targeted by avarice has the sole motive of acquisition. Not mass destruction.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:29 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
Hate to break it too you- World war 3 is being fought as we speak..and without nukes..Have you had a look around domestically and internationally- The world has been at war for about 10 years. The conflict is not like huge nuclear fires..it's little tiny fires - thousands of them every where that if put together have the same destructive impact as a nuke.

As we await for some nation to launch a nuke and do all to prevent it..our focus is taken off what is happening all around us..This war is humanity attacking humanity- as a world culture - auto-cannibalism is taking place- The human entity that is the human race is in the process of eating itself- First the fat- then the muscle- then the bone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies