Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 09:39 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
You get used to the heat. I set my thermostat at 85 in summer. That might be hot for some people but when its 115 outside and you walk into a house at 85, it's like walking into a refrigerated meat locker. It's all relative.

It's all good hotair deuce. you started a good thread on a lousy premise. Lot's of Arizona lovers came out of the woodwork for this one. Probably educated a lot of people about our great state and dispelled a lot of misconceptions.

Thanks.
I really enjoyed this post for it's contrast to where I live.
In Idaho, it is as cold for as long as Arizona is hot. In Arizona, the heat can kill a person, and in Idaho, the cold can kill a person when both are at extremes. I'll bet you are so used to the heat that you do well in temps that would make me completely miserable. I'm so used to coolness that I'm happy in a T-shirt in temps that would make you want to go hunt an overcoat.

86 degrees is warm for me, inside or outside my house, but it's at the edge of my comfort zone. During an Idaho January, it can go down to -40 for periods as long as your temps are over 110º. I'm most comfortable heating my home to 69º at most in the winter, and more often 67º. 67 degrees feels like a blast furnace when you walk in out of zero outside.

The thing is: You are quite happy where you live, and so am I. If we stick to a place long enough, we all adapt. I'll bet you would love Idaho for a change just as much as I love Arizona for a change; the summers here are mild and incredibly beautiful. And if you would bundle up enough, you would find a clear winter day, dry as Arizona with 3 feet of powder snow on the ground, beautiful as well.

I've been to several places in Arizona, sometimes for extended periods, and I really enjoyed the heat. The Arizona deserts are gorgeous, as are the highlands of N. Arizona. Totally different country from mine.
I like the folks I've met there. I have several long time friends who have lived in both states, and I really enjoy going to see them.

You're right about another important thing- avoid misconceptions. Avoid lumpage. One city is not representative of a whole state anywhere. One area is not like another anywhere. One place's population in a state is different from another place's. There is always bad stuff and there is always good stuff everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 08:51 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,955,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
It is not surprising that Nevada and Arizona have the highest foreclosure rates in the U.S. It seemed that many residents failed the stupid test when they decided to buy a cheap home in the desert.

At least with Nevada, they had Las Vegas. For the life of me, I can't understand why people would move to the Arizona Desert. I guess a lot of people are now agreeing with me and are just walking...no running away from their homes there.

Nevada, Arizona, Georgia Post Top Foreclosure Rates in 2012 | InvestorPlace
It must be fascinating to have so much narcissism that you just can't understand that other people have different tastes than you...

Old 08-14-2012, 09:17 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,459,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
It must be fascinating to have so much narcissism that you just can't understand that other people have different tastes than you...
Hotair is a known Arizona basher, even though they have never been to the state. lol

Old 08-14-2012, 09:24 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,202,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I've lived in desert areas (including Phoenix) for most of my life. It's where I belong.

My kids love the desert too!

What I don't get is why anyone would live East of the Rockies... all that water, humidity, flatness, crowds of people and lack of open spaces to romp in would drive a man to insanity!
I'd take my sand over your sand any day...

Old 08-14-2012, 10:15 PM

415 posts, read 615,919 times
Oh, gee, I don't know...why would anyone with half a brain buy a house in the midwest? Nothing there but endless corn and soybean fields and good luck hiking on those. Tornadoes in the summer/spring/fall, blizzards so bad in the winter that you might be driving through a cornfield and not realize it. Summers so humid no one does anything but sit inside next to the AC. Everything is small towns. "Iowa City" is big (yeah right!) No mountains, no desert, just boring fields of corn as far as the eye can see. Why the hell would anyone want to live with that?

And furthermore, why on earth would anyone want to live in the south? Floods and hurricanes all the time, humidity that is relentless (I've heard when people walk outside their shirts are drenched in sweat in minutes) and bugs as big as your head. Don't even get me started on alligators and other nasty creatures down there, not to mention the locals overt fondness for deep frying everything. *shudder*

When I was ten I read the little house books, including The Long Winter. The whole way through I thought, "thank god I live in Vegas." Dealing with snow so bad you could be walking in circles to your death and not know it? NOT FOR ME.

That horrible awful Nevada you speak of has a lower half with very mild weather. In the summer, sure it hits 114 degrees (and that is for a few weeks in July August) but the winters are very mild and it rarely if ever snows. There are also few if any bugs. I'll take Vegas over the south or the midwest.

The furthest east I'm willing to go is Denver, and that is stretching it. I see no appeal to the cornfields, oldness, bugs, and icky that I perceive the eastern half the country to be.

And I've never understood the whole yankee thing up in the northeast. What on earth is that all about?

Old 08-15-2012, 06:43 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
I passed the stupid test. I am curious as to why so many failed. I think Sam Kinison said it better.

Sam Kinison about world hunger (1st Letterman appearance) - YouTube

One my all time favorite bits of his of all time!

Old 08-15-2012, 06:50 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,202,822 times
You know it you don't like them corn fields you shouldn't be partaking in the harvest. If you don't like the water you shouldn't be importing it from other areas, make due with what falls on your land.

The Sam Kinison above says it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suissegrl702 View Post
Oh, gee, I don't know...why would anyone with half a brain buy a house in the midwest? Nothing there but endless corn and soybean fields and good luck hiking on those. Tornadoes in the summer/spring/fall, blizzards so bad in the winter that you might be driving through a cornfield and not realize it. Summers so humid no one does anything but sit inside next to the AC. Everything is small towns. "Iowa City" is big (yeah right!) No mountains, no desert, just boring fields of corn as far as the eye can see. Why the hell would anyone want to live with that?

And furthermore, why on earth would anyone want to live in the south? Floods and hurricanes all the time, humidity that is relentless (I've heard when people walk outside their shirts are drenched in sweat in minutes) and bugs as big as your head. Don't even get me started on alligators and other nasty creatures down there, not to mention the locals overt fondness for deep frying everything. *shudder*

When I was ten I read the little house books, including The Long Winter. The whole way through I thought, "thank god I live in Vegas." Dealing with snow so bad you could be walking in circles to your death and not know it? NOT FOR ME.

That horrible awful Nevada you speak of has a lower half with very mild weather. In the summer, sure it hits 114 degrees (and that is for a few weeks in July August) but the winters are very mild and it rarely if ever snows. There are also few if any bugs. I'll take Vegas over the south or the midwest.

The furthest east I'm willing to go is Denver, and that is stretching it. I see no appeal to the cornfields, oldness, bugs, and icky that I perceive the eastern half the country to be.

And I've never understood the whole yankee thing up in the northeast. What on earth is that all about?

Old 08-15-2012, 06:58 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Would I like to visit the desert southwest? Sure. Some day I'd love to see all of the states. As of now though I'm partial to the greenery of the east coast and midwest. Ohio does have a lot of trees, and is quite green in the summer. Not to mention I like living in close proximity to one of the largest bodies of fresh water in the world; The Great Lakes! If I ever decide to go south, Florida is my choice, as I like tropical. Though I think it would only be through the winter, and then head back up here.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:36 PM

4,136 posts, read 2,839,429 times
Quote:
i don't live in the desert. There are too many white brotherhood members on cd to mention where i live.
Quote:
i am from georgia.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:41 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
I'd take my sand over your sand any day...
I don't know... Our sand ain't half bad either.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies