Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 07:01 AM

390 posts, read 265,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I'd suggest you try thinking outside the box.

Have you ever considered how an intellectually advanced species from elsewhere in our universe visiting earth for the first time would view our masses having deadly weapons for a "hobby"? It is little short of epidemic insanity that many have been too close to throughout their lives to recognize as such.
They are no more deadly than other common tools like a car, hammer or chefs knife. They are only deadly when used in an irresponsible manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 07:14 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,227,205 times
The 'fun and games' is practice and develops proficiency. like lions cubs biting and wresting with each other, not for fun but for future hunting and defense.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:29 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
I am in the corner of the gun control crowd, but to all you people searching for sanity.....it's not going to happen. The gun nuts have insanity and the constitution on their side.

Regardless of whether it's outdated and continually leads to madness like we had this last week, they don't care.

You must realize that here in the US, have a lot of powerless losers who crave the implied power that a gun gives them. Just look at the pride that wells up in them when you question whether they could have any affect on a government that truly wanted to take over their trailer park in Kentucky or shack in Montana. Like anyone gives a **** about them. The only reason they're even part of the discussion is because their death fetish is the reason we have incidents like that in Aurora.

Their answer to this incident is that eveyone in the theater should have had a gun. So, instead of 12 deaths in one night, you'd have constant deaths all over the country at movie theaters when 2 people got in a fight over talking someone to loud. Their answer to this issue is for everyone to be walking around with a holdster.

You then wonder about the emotional maturity of someone who fails to see the absurdity in that model.

You see, I trust myself with a gun, but I don't trust YOU because more likely than not you are stupid. That's why I want your rights to be limited when it comes to your abilty to take mine and my families lives with relative ease.

And by the way, even if everyone in that theater had a gun, the gunman could still easily have killed a dozen or more people....he had body armor and he used gas..knowing that other people had guns he could have simply taken better cover and taken out just as many people.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:35 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
^^^

The reason I support gun rights is because there are people like you who think they are better than people like them hicks in Kentucky or Montana. That is dangerous thinking.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I am in the corner of the gun control crowd, but to all you people searching for sanity.....it's not going to happen. The gun nuts have insanity and the constitution on their side.

Regardless of whether it's outdated and continually leads to madness like we had this last week, they don't care.

You must realize that here in the US, have a lot of powerless losers who crave the implied power that a gun gives them. Just look at the pride that wells up in them when you question whether they could have any affect on a government that truly wanted to take over their trailer park in Kentucky or shack in Montana. Like anyone gives a **** about them. The only reason they're even part of the discussion is because their death fetish is the reason we have incidents like that in Aurora.

Their answer to this incident is that eveyone in the theater should have had a gun. So, instead of 12 deaths in one night, you'd have constant deaths all over the country at movie theaters when 2 people got in a fight over talking someone to loud. Their answer to this issue is for everyone to be walking around with a holdster.

You then wonder about the emotional maturity of someone who fails to see the absurdity in that model.

You see, I trust myself with a gun, but I don't trust YOU because more likely than not you are stupid. That's why I want your rights to be limited when it comes to your abilty to take mine and my families lives with relative ease.

And by the way, even if everyone in that theater had a gun, the gunman could still easily have killed a dozen or more people....he had body armor and he used gas..knowing that other people had guns he could have simply taken better cover and taken out just as many people.
The only insanity in this debate comes from those who blame an inanimate object for the actions of its human operator. It appears YOU are the stupid one here.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:22 AM

1,695 posts, read 3,044,850 times
I just don't get it!
It seems as though there are some people writing here who actually seem to relish the idea of an armed revolution - WE THE PEOPLE vs THE MILITARY. You're coming up with all these scenarios why "The People" would win if all were armed, who would fight who, who is the enemy, etc. NONSENSE!

Just how many millions of lives would be lost were something like this to happen? How many lives are OK to be lost to protect us from the "tyranny" of taxes, or health care, or social security, etc?
Each of us has our own belief of what is & what is not tyrannical. Each of us has our own Point Of No Return.
To think that there may be some kind of government sanctioned military operation against hundreds of millions of people is just totally absurd. There are always going to be incidents like RUby RIdge or Kent State where a few out of control people do the wrong thing. Just like there are crazy people who will drive cars into stores, or police who will falsely arrest an individual, or commit acts of violence. None of that is anything like a war between the military & its citizens.

And I find it equally ridiculous to equate this duly elected government with the regimes of Hitler, Pol Pot, etc. Just plain nuts. COme back to reality.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:23 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pancake View Post
They are no more deadly than other common tools like a car, hammer or chefs knife. They are only deadly when used in an irresponsible manner.
You can say the same thing about most illegal drugs.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
You can say the same thing about most illegal drugs.
Actually the same can be said about just about anything.

The solution isn't banning something because a minuscule percentage of people use it the wrong way. That idea is indicative of a very shallow and retarded thought process, and people like that do not deserve to be heard when it comes to the idea of infringing upon the liberty of others.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:32 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Default Yaaa gun control...

Copied and pasted, but I find the figures astounding

In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminate...
d.

Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, a total of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated.

China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one million 'educated' people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century because of gun control: 56 million.

So it might be said that guns don't kill people, gun control does!

It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by their own government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars.

The first year results are now in: Australia-wide, homicides are up 3.2 percent Australia-wide, assaults are up 8.6 percent. Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)!

In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent. Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not, and criminals still possess their guns! While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed.

There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the ELDERLY. Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort and expense was expended in successfully ridding Australian society of guns. The Australian experience and the other historical facts above prove it.

You won't see this data on the American evening news or hear our president, governors or other politicians disseminating this information.

Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws affect only the law-abiding citizens.

Take note my fellow Americans.....before it's too late! The next time someone talks in favor of gun control, please remind them of this history lesson.

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'. We here in America have the second amendment (thank God) "The right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed" Gun control, for our safety and the safety of the children, is the cry of those that would forfeit our God given right to self defense! (remember the 56 million who died for lack of guns to defend themselves)

Old 07-23-2012, 09:38 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,346,222 times
In before the moonbat liberals come in with "But....But....But!!!!!!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies