Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 06:19 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,841,059 times

Advertisements

surely sales taxes just hit the poor harder - after all, one can only eat and consume so much whatever your income?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 06:23 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,210,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayiask View Post
Looking back at how much I have paid into Social Security in the last 35 years, and looking ahead to the probabilty that there may be nothing there in 15 years, sometimes I have to wonder if I couldn't have done better with the money through the years......either paying down the mortgage or putting into savings, etc.

On the other hand, there are many people that depend on their SS for food, housing and medications. Also, the pictures from the 30's of soup lines and widespread poverty haunt me. Would we be better going back to that??
If you were born in 1950, and averaged an income of $50,000 in today's dollars, your average lifetime rate of return on social security would be 1.67%. If you put that money into the stock market as a well diversified portfolio over the same time period, your average rate of return would be 7.05%. Using social security instead of the stock market is an incredibly poor decision. This isn't a political question, it is a math problem.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:23 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,207,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
surely sales taxes just hit the poor harder - after all, one can only eat and consume so much whatever your income?
Do you really imagine that the rich don't spend much, much more than the poor? The rich shelter their income in many ways and often pay zero taxes. They can't avoid spending. BTW, aren't you the late leader of Kenya?

Old 07-23-2012, 06:29 AM

yes, I am - still alive as well (according to Wikipedia at least!)

source: wikipedia.com
Quote:
Kenneth David Kaunda (born April 28, 1924), also known as KK, served as the first President of Zambia, from 1964 to 1991.

but anyway, back to the topic - do you propose sales tax + income tax?

and if you are in favour of scrapping social security then what about the old and disabled, who will pay for them when they cannot work?

Old 07-23-2012, 06:32 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,207,320 times
Quote:
do you propose sales tax + income tax?
No, tax only consumption, but with no exceptions or loopholes. Social Security must be salvaged at all costs. A vast number of seniors depend on it to survive, and they can't start their lives over from the beginning again..

Old 07-23-2012, 06:35 AM

but could that really give the govt. enough money to fund everything: ie: social security, infrastructure, schools, military, police etc..?

where will the money come from if there is no income tax?

Old 07-23-2012, 06:45 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
that's true and is a good point.

Go to nearly any developing country and you'll see this.

Where I live now (Cambodia) , I see a lot of old folk pushing carts around the streets, begging, eating scraps of food from the rubbish - all about the same age as my mother.

no safety net or jobs for these people - do we really want this in our own countries?

surely not.
Are you saying you would let your mother beg in the streets? Why wouldn't you take care of her?

I would be much better off without social security because I could have paid off my house years ago, and then started investing money.

Childless people are the most wealthy because they don't have to pay babysitters or all the costs of children so they wouldn't need social security or their children taking care of them. That's the flaw in the rational of the third world, they think having 14 or 15 children will guarantee them a free caretaker when they're old but if they had only the children they could afford and saved money through the years, they'd be better off.

On the other hand, if the government wasn't robbing us of all this money, we could leave the money we made to our children, inheritances would be better.

Social Security was a big mistake, it assumes that people should be irresponsible and dependent on the government for everything.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:45 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
Without SS we would have a whole lot more destitute elderly that were cheated of their savings by irresponsible stock market, their savings by mortgage bank collapses and their pensions by Bain Capital.

The government may be inept at times but it, at least as far as SS is concerned, it is not inimical. The same cannot be said for the private sector as currently dominated by greedy thieves and deluded fools. I would prefer both a universal government operated retirement and medical system than trust my money and health to the undisciplined Children of Mammon.

FWIW -
How many of the Cambodian elderly had their families KILLED by our indiscriminate bombing of their country back in the 60's and 70's. There are worse things than Social Security Insurance and starving to death in the dark while suffering from a hideous disease is just one of them.

Whining about “what I could have done with that money” is just tiring. Most people would have spent the money on trivia and beer and you all know that.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:50 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,210,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Without SS we would have a whole lot more destitute elderly that were cheated of their savings by irresponsible stock market, their savings by mortgage bank collapses and their pensions by Bain Capital.

The government may be inept at times but it, at least as far as SS is concerned, it is not inimical. The same cannot be said for the private sector as currently dominated by greedy thieves and deluded fools. I would prefer both a universal government operated retirement and medical system than trust my money and health to the undisciplined Children of Mammon.
Greg - Social Security has averaged 4.22 times less than the stock market over the last few decades. Can you show your data that suggests otherwise? Without SS, retirees would have several times more money than they do today. If you can make this claim, I assume you have done the math. Please show your calculations where you found out that SS is better than the stock market.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Are you saying you would let your mother beg in the streets? Why wouldn't you take care of her?
Of course I would take care of my mother - but what if I died before her?

What if she never had any children or became estranged to them?

What if I were a beggar myself?

etc...

So this is why I think that some kind of safety net for the elderly must be a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies