Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 06:52 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,204,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
but could that really give the govt. enough money to fund everything: ie: social security, infrastructure, schools, military, police etc..?

where will the money come from if there is no income tax?
Let's assume a Value Added Tax of 19% such as Germany has. That's a lot more than the zero % many wealthy people pay in income tax currently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 06:55 AM

390 posts, read 265,938 times
Quote:
but could that really give the govt. enough money to fund everything: ie: social security, infrastructure, schools, military, police etc..?

where will the money come from if there is no income tax?
How about from the taxes outlined by the constitution before the Feds started spending more than was coming in? Excise taxes, impose tariffs, etc etc.

Let's switch gears to the property tax for a moment. There isn't any form of tax more freedom infringing than the property tax. No one actually owns their property if the government can come take it away due to an unpaid "tax", we are all merely renters.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:57 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Of course I would take care of my mother - but what if I died before her?

What if she never had any children or became estranged to them?

What if I were a beggar myself?

etc...

So this is why I think that some kind of safety net for the elderly must be a good thing.
If she never had children, then she could have saved a whole lot more from her income. Look at the childless --- they have MORE money for travel, clothes, nice apartments than do those with children who must spend money feeding and clothing their children, in order to work, they must pay for day care and the list goes on.

If your mother didn't have you and didn't have social security tax taken from her paycheck for 40-50 years, she could have a pretty nice nest egg.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:58 AM

390 posts, read 265,938 times
Quote:
Of course I would take care of my mother - but what if I died before her?

What if she never had any children or became estranged to them?

What if I were a beggar myself?

etc...

So this is why I think that some kind of safety net for the elderly must be a good thing.
Social security is unconstitutional and only came to be through the criminally corrupt threat of Court stacking by one of the worst presidents in history, FDR.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:06 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,840,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Let's assume a Value Added Tax of 19% such as Germany has. That's a lot more than the zero % many wealthy people pay in income tax currently.
Not sure exactly what you are saying here?

but in Germany there is a progressive tax from 0 - 45% - this is presumably as well as VAT.

so, I can't really see how income tax can be avoided.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:20 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
Please remember Social Security is an insurance system and not a universal pension system. It was designed to help people that either lost their savings, investment or pensions. It was not designed to pay money to everyone but to only those that needed it. It is being used as a Universal Pension System and is not sufficiently funded for that function. IMHO we need to tax all income from all sources and place a cap on total income of the recipients to make this UPS work.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:30 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,115,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayiask View Post
Looking back at how much I have paid into Social Security in the last 35 years, and looking ahead to the probabilty that there may be nothing there in 15 years, sometimes I have to wonder if I couldn't have done better with the money through the years......either paying down the mortgage or putting into savings, etc.

On the other hand, there are many people that depend on their SS for food, housing and medications. Also, the pictures from the 30's of soup lines and widespread poverty haunt me. Would we be better going back to that??
Lol... really? Nothing there in 15 years? Did I miss the notice that puts all working age adults on furlough in 2027?

How are you concerned about SS when you don't even understand what it is that you're worried about?

Old 07-23-2012, 07:37 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Please remember Social Security is an insurance system and not a universal pension system. It was designed to help people that either lost their savings, investment or pensions. It was not designed to pay money to everyone but to only those that needed it. It is being used as a Universal Pension System and is not sufficiently funded for that function. IMHO we need to tax all income from all sources and place a cap on total income of the recipients to make this UPS work.
Actually that isn't true. It was set up to be a forced but inefficient retirement program. I know physicians who are still working and receiving social security. It was not really sold as just another welfare handout program.

It is turning into just another very large welfare handout program with so many demanding that the responsible types who invested in a 401K and other retirement plans should not also get a social security check.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:44 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
So essentially you want the people who plan well enough that they don't need it to reward those people who are stupid/irresponsible enough to blow their money on things other than retirement accounts?

If what you are saying is true, then why don't we punish those people who use it as a sole retirement account to motivate people to plan ahead? Why punish success and reward irresponsibility?

Old 07-23-2012, 07:52 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
No! I want an income insurance system for those that lost their retirement income through the collapse of their saving banks, investments or having their pensions stole by Bain Capital or other thieves. That insurance should be paid for by everyone and only provided to those unfortunate enough to need it.

We all pay accident insurance on our cars but those of us that do not have accidents never collect. Is that unfair? Old age income insurance should be the same.

Now if we want to discuss an Universal Pension System we can certainly do so but it is another topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies