Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 02:13 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Yep, breaking the law should cost. Making a good living shouldn't.
And on what planet can working the fields making less than the minimun can be considered to be a "good living?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 02:17 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,480,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
And on what planet can working the fields making less than the minimun can be considered to be a "good living?"
none, earning over $106k is a good living.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:21 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,465,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
We are not a class society!!! There is no such thing as a middle class in the US.

We have people who earn less then others, but they can go from minimum wage to a six figure salary in a decade or so, and some even make the leap to a seven figure income. US citizens are not locked into a certain income at birth, the sky is the limit, if they want to earn more, nothing is stopping them but their own drive, initiative and natural abilities.
Few people actually move across income quintiles. Also, only a small percentage moves beyond the quintile of the parents. It is possible, but it doesn't occur with any regularity.

Solon, Gary. "Intergenerational Income Mobility in the United States." American Economic Review. 82.3 n. page. Web. 24 Jul. 2012.

Bradbury, Katherine. United States of America. Federal Reserve Bank of Boston. "Trends in U.S. Family Income Mobility, 1969–2006." Boston: Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, 2011. Web. 24 Jul. 2012.

I'd also disagree with your belief that "If they want to earn more, nothing is stopping them but their own drive, initiative and natural abilities." I'm generally against separating the outcome of an individual from the context of his or her life.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:26 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,480,513 times
I disagree with that. Almost everyone I know and hang with lives a much better life then their parents did. When we were kids the norm was 4 kids in a 3 bedroom 1300 sq ft house. Now the norm around here is 2 kids in a 4 bedroom 2800 sq ft house.
Most dont load up the family car for a vacation , they board a plane.
Saturday night isnt hot dog and bean night , its porterhouse night.
People eat spagetti because they enjoy it, not because its all they can afford.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:27 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,868,562 times
To adress your post at #37:

The new regs on the EPA are causing cities across the nation to have to totally revamp their systems costing even towns the size of 25,000 millions of dollars. Who do you think will pay for that? Do you think the utilities companies will absorb that? These kinds of expenses hit the poor and middle class the hardest because they are recurring and can't be avoided. A HUGE hit to lower and middle class.

If the 800,000 illegals were already in the workforce they were working under the table or with fraudulently attained ID. Giving them credibility gives them better advantage to compete for jobs in an already crippled jobs market. I doubt many are CEO's so YES it affects the lower and middle class the most.

Obama was most definately the pres that allowed the Mexican truckers to access our roads. Look it up. Truck driving USED to be a middle class job. Who does it affect? Once again, it hurts the middle and lower class.

So you will let Obama slide with using TAXPAYER money to ship jobs over seas yet Romney is the villan for using PRIVATE funds to do the same thing. And you have no problem with Immelt (GE) paying no taxes yet Romney is EVIL when you don't even know how much he paid. I got it!

You claim that Republican policies hurt the lower and middle class and Dems are their champions. Yet you have nothing substantial to offer up as far as examples and appear highly uninformed.

I can see you're already using the line of the new Obamacare. You may want to study your talking points a little more in depth because I doubt that is the message they told you to send. Tylenol is the new wonder drug I guess.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I don't get the payroll tax deduction. I am self employed. I am all for for eliminating the upper cap on social security taxes that disproportionately benefits the wealthy to make up for any losses the middle class tax cuts may bring.

That's obvious because it's apparent who you are "self employed" through.

Are you sure you want to eliminate the cap on SS and let the wealthy have that disproportionate SS check as well?

Old 07-24-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Do you know that illegal aliens and other people with fake SS numbers also pay into social security and never collect?

Are you aware that illegals file for returns and use children from their home countries for deductions?

Do you think they will get SS if they are a part of amnesty?

Old 07-24-2012, 02:34 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Kyle is right. Obama is exploiting class envy to win an election because he cannot talk about his own accomplishments over the last 3.5 years.

its cheep and disgusting. and it breeds resentment between two groups of hard working Americans. Nothing good comes from that.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Less that 3% of the illegals work the fields. And there are unlimited visas for those that do.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:41 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,500,282 times
Yeah, let's tie up time in Congress with this BS. Don't talk about a budget or the economy, stupid!
:smack :

Last edited by Mayiask; 07-24-2012 at 02:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies