Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 11:50 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It would depend how it was introduced to the other parent.

My neighbors are decent people but completely whimpy and have an only child.

I was rough housing \ wrestling with my boys one day when the kid was over and the kid went home distraught thinking I was abusing them or something. (Again, only child in a house where a hug would be considered extreme physical contact). So here comes neighbor lady wanting to know what's up with that... then I get the "we don't believe in violence in our household" and so I told her that if wrestling around with my kids freaks them out then don't come over.

Sorry you've never run across the "passive agressive disapprover" type like the OP is describing. It's quite a treat.
Funny.. I can see that attitude from parents with a single child but once you have more than 1 child.. there is gonna be some violence whether you believe in it or not!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathguy View Post
depends how she voiced her disproval. Could be she was nice about it or preachy.
amen..

Old 07-24-2012, 11:52 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
It's a parent's perogative to not have their child play with toy guns. It's not that uncommon and there are other water games. Is she neglecting the child in any way that is detrimental to his well being and health? If not, it is none of your business.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Cowboys and Indians...was our gun game....Now it might be Cow persons and indigenous people. Woman who go nuts when a kid pretends to be shooting are flakes....Guns are so bad..bad guns- bad boy- men make war...bad bad bad--teach our boys not to play with guns and all war in the world will stop.

Recently in Toronto a little girl did a stick drawing in school- the stick man had a gun...she told the teacher that it was her dad and he used a gun to kill the monsters at night....Child protection people snatched up the kid- Police went to the fathers home (he had no criminal record) and searched the place- they even took him into the station and gave him a search including a cavity examination- This is liberality that goes right up your...well you know..
Do you have a link to the Toronto story.. not that I don't believe, I would just like to read it..

Old 07-24-2012, 11:54 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times
For a Canadian dad ...being a rural kid myself...I taught all my kids how to shoot and the basics of gun safety..The kids are grown and have no interest in guns what so ever.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:54 AM

390 posts, read 265,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It would depend how it was introduced to the other parent.

My neighbors are decent people but completely whimpy and have an only child.

I was rough housing \ wrestling with my boys one day when the kid was over and the kid went home distraught thinking I was abusing them or something. (Again, only child in a house where a hug would be considered extreme physical contact). So here comes neighbor lady wanting to know what's up with that... then I get the "we don't believe in violence in our household" and so I told her that if wrestling around with my kids freaks them out then don't come over.

Sorry you've never run across the "passive agressive disapprover" type like the OP is describing. It's quite a treat.
Put a giant sign in your yard that says something along the lines of "Hey Bad Guys, my neighbors do not believe in violence, so go ahead and rob them" with a giant arrow pointing to their house.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:56 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pancake View Post
Of course not
Glad you cleared that up. It is what your words said.

Quote:
but the curiosity about guns and the irresponsibility of parents who refuse to at least teach their kids basic firearm safety is what leads to fatal accidents.
I think the responsible thing for parents to do is when they have kids to remove all guns from the home and to vet their friend's parents and not allow them to be in places where there's a potential for an unsecured firearm to be present.

Quote:
The psychotropics on the other hand...those could easily flip the kill switch everyone has in their brain.
Sure, I guess. Personally, if I had a kid on psychotropics, I would want him thinking about guns and gun violence, and to be exposed to firearms, as little as absolutely possible.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:58 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Do you have a link to the Toronto story.. not that I don't believe, I would just like to read it..
No- I'm to dumb to do links...It was a big topic for a few days on talk radio...People were enraged...that they would insult the good father by looking up his butt....what the hell were they expecting to find in there? Sorry...I can't come up with the head line...so you could view the story. I swear the story is true ....

Old 07-24-2012, 11:59 AM

Found it.. good story.. and worse than you originally depicted it..
man, I would be coming unglued if this happened to me.. unglued!

Father arrested over daughter's gun drawing won't get apology, agency says | Ontario | News | Toronto Sun

Old 07-24-2012, 12:02 PM

390 posts, read 265,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
is that for ALL parents or just those who have guns in the house?
Nothing wrong with everyone teaching their kids the basics of gun safety.

No matter how much a parent hates guns, unless they abuse their children by sheltering them to the point of social isolation, a kid will inevitably come across a gun. It may be at a friends house whose dad likes to go hunting, or hell they may even find one.

The basics of gun safety could save the life of a child, even if that kids parents are a bunch of paranoid nutjobs who have a paralyzing fear of an inanimate object.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies